Friday, June 10, 2011

Deck Visitors

Today I thought I would share three of the visitors to our deck this past week. Much to my surprise and in the early evening, Gregg spotted a raccoon checking out the bird feeder. She didn't find much as it was empty. Sorry little one! Well, maybe not so little, she's the size of a small dog.

By the time I got my camera she was already making her way down the rail....

and was moving pretty fast as I think by now she was aware that we were looking at her through the patio door.

She stopped for just a moment and I'm not really sure what caught her attention.....

but then she quickly turned and made her way down the steps. I think this is one who has been visiting me for the last couple of years as she has the same coloring.


The Catbird is back and this little darling, just like the raccoon, was the first time I had seen her this year.
If you want to learn more about the Catbird, you can click here.

It is a well known species of American songbird and is related to the Wren and Mockingbird.

The Catbird is about nine inches in length and it chooses its home near copses and thickets, and often near dwellings.

During the winter it can be found in the extreme south of the United States, and also in Mexico and Central America.


Well, what can I say? Here's another little friend who visits me daily no matter what time of the year, along with several of his family.
Added note: I have just found my other post and on comparing the coloring on both, I am 99% certain the raccoon in the first few photos of this one is the same little girl who has been visiting me this time of the year for the last two years. You can check her out if you click here.

27 comments:

imac said...

You did really well in all these captures Denise,well done my friend.

Light-In-A-Box said...

Gosh I rarely ever get any visitors on my deck except pesky mosquitoes!!! Nice captures...

Glenda said...

Great pictures of the little minx. My next door neighbor saw a raccoon on his porch this week eating catfood out of the cat's dish. I'm afraid he may be eying my hens - they're notorious for raiding the hen house for eggs AND chickens.

gigihawaii said...

You are lucky you have a glass patio door that allows you to take pictures of these wonderful animals.
All I have are jalousie windows, screens and wooden doors that prevent me from doing that. Alas!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Nice pictures of the raccoons. Raccoons have visited me in various locations, but I have yet to see one in person. The visits have always happened at night, but the evidence (paw prints) is there of raccoon involvement.

crafty cat corner said...

I love the raccoon, we have foxes visit every night, usually one, but just recently the mate has been coming too. The other regular is Sid the seagull, He has been coming during the summer months for several years with his partner Floppy, so called because she has one poorly leg. What with 5 cats, the fox food, peanuts and seed for the birds + Sid and Floppy it's a wonder we are able to feed ourselves. lol
Briony
x

Betsy said...

Your raccoon is cuter than ours. But both seem to like birdseed!

I haven't had a catbird in our yard! I'd love for one to come and visit!

Janet said...

What a lovely selection of visitors you have visiting your patio -you are lucky. Great pictures too-you cannot tell they are taken through glass,amazing !

Sandy's witterings said...

A raccoon - how lovely. We used to have a regular herd of squirrel in a house we lived in a few years ago - they really were quite an entertainment. Good to see one where they should be - I'm sure out own native red would be just as entertaining if they were still common.

jabblog said...

I didn't know raccoons were so big, much like foxes, then. What interesting visitors you have - keep putting out the food;-)

Don't unplug your hub said...

I did enjoy this visit Denise.

Valerie said...

How marvellous. I'd love to see a racoon in real life. Apart from the birds we only get squirrels and foxes in the garden, oh and occasional visits from neighbours cats.

Lyn said...

We have lots of birds in the garden and a squirrel but the raccoon looks a cutie!
xxx

Sharon said...

Great pictures of that raccoon, it seemed quite familiar with your deck! My birds have been scarce lately, guess they are laying about with it so hot here. Lovely little squirrel!

MarieElizabeth said...

You have quite the cute neighbors back there.

Jidhu Jose said...

nice guests and lovely shots

Cezar and Léia said...

LOL lovely post Denise, I'm enchanted by your visitor, wonderful shots!
Léia

JJ said...

Well we do have squirrels but no raccoons or catbirds!
Good captures - not easy this wildlife photography is it?
JJ

Grammy said...

I love it, At my old home in St. Louis. We had many raccoon, visit every night. One I named Duncan she was the first like this one. She would knock on our sliding glass door. We started by give her scraps. The we bough dog food. After a few years we had kids grand kids and so on come in different groups. We went through 50 lbs a week. But so enjoyed them. We now have cat birds in Missouri too. It has been maybe 10 years at the most since I saw the first one. And did not know what they were till about 5 years ago. But they are even in this area of mo too. I love to watch nature too. Have a great day. And thanks for stopping by.
E :)

AphotoAday said...

Oh raccoons -- yep they're adorable until they decide to move in. I had a pretty good go-around with a mama raccoon and her two babies several years ago. But yes, they were here first, I suppose.
I need to get some new shots of the deer that frequent my place -- mama and her two fawns have been hanging out a lot -- I definitely need to wash that window of mine.

Indrani said...

What a cute little guest!
You managed so well with the shots.

ascu75 aka Don said...

nICE pICCIES. xxxDon

Lui said...

What amazing shots, Denise!
I am sure they were living with you when you are not looking ;-)

I checked TF last week and my link was gone! I really can't understand it but yes, I would appreciate it very much if you can link my flowers this week. Thank you so much Denise!

A Scattering said...

Great shots of your little critters Denise.

Janie said...

What a nice trio of visitors! You got great photos of all of them. Love the racoon. She's so cute.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

That raccoon looks a little skinny. Aren't they usually rabid when spotted during the day?? yikes
Your flower photos are amazing. Love the yellow rose especially.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that raccoon doesn't look very big, the ones around here are big and fat!!

Gill