Monday, June 20, 2011

The birds we saw at Huntley Meadows

On Saturday Gregg and I drove to Huntley Meadows, another favorite area we enjoy which takes about 45 minutes to get there. We have been talking about going for ages. Each season brings it's own beauty. Last time we went in the Fall but right now we thought it was the prettiest we had ever seen it. Everywhere looked lush and green, the cattails were tall and the wetlands were full of water. One of our favorite birds to see here is the Red-winged Blackbird with its brightly colored epaulet of red and yellow. If you click here you can read more about him and listen to his call.


Gregg took the following photos of the Barn Swallow, at least that's what I think they are. We were walking along the boardwalk and he spotted a young bird being fed by its mother. If you enlarge the photo you can just make him out, sitting where the boardwalk turns to the left.

I cropped another photo. Here is a closer look. From what I could find out on doing a little research, I think he is a Barn Swallow. Gregg didn't realize that while he was focused on this little fellow, there were several others all along the rail almost near his feet. They seemed comfortable with him being so close. I didn't want to move any closer however, because I knew they would fly away.

Mother came closer and.....

there you go, satisfied with a morsel for a few seconds. Mother was concentrating on this one for a while. The others had to patiently wait their turn.

I'm not sure what kind of bird sits on the pole below. Its perch was a metal measuring stick to gauge the level of water. (Steve over at Out On The Prairie identified it as an Eastern Kingbird. You can click here for more information. Thank you Steve).

A little further along Gregg spotted this young Red-wing also being fed by its mother.

We watched as she arrived several times to feed her baby.

They were everywhere and the sound of their calls echoed throughout the Wetlands.

The last three are a little blurry as I again cropped the photos. He was taking a drink at the water's edge.



More Huntley Meadow photos in my next post.

14 comments:

  1. That red-wing blackbird looks exactly like the one we saw on Memorial Day ;-) Nice photos Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! I love the red-winged blackbirds. We have a lot of them in our area. We live on a river and they love being near water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful captures Denise. Thanks for getting back to me about the milk thistle, that's very nice of you! Wow, I did not know that MT are edible after all. Thanks for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, I think your unknown is a Eastern Kingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two must have an awful lot of patience. Thanks for these great photos.
    And thank you Denise, for your kind comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These shots are incredible! Congratulations, Denise and Gregg! I have never seen these birds before so I thank you for showing them to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have the Red Wing blackbirds here and if you get too close to their young they scoop right down at you. Very nice pictures as usual. I just love to watch mom and dad feed the babies. I raised a Robin years ago, right out of the egg. Well actually the egg was laying on the ground and I raised him until I let him go free, what an experience that was. I did a blog on him a couple years ago. Thank you for coming by and leaving a nice comment, enjoy the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't choose which one is the prettiest!!! That sweet mom...like people!
    Did my card arrive? I hope it did...
    You are invited to play in my small game! Read the details at my blog! I'm writing in Engish again...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Thanks for the link too - the red-wing blackbird has a very distinctive call :D)

    Those are gorgeous photos Gregg took of the Barn Swallow and her young.
    (our computer only brought up a few photos, so will come back later to finish looking)

    You both obviously enjoyed your day at the meadows. A perfect spot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely bird photos!
    We have red-winged blackbirds nesting along our creek, and some barn swallows nesting on our back porch. They're all fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love red wing blackbirds, but I think I only saw them a couple of times during our trip. Your swallow looks like some swifts we saw at Glacier. That is such an amazing photo of that baby bird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen these red-winged blackbirds before. These are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots of the Huntley Meadow Birds. I love the swallows, they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete