Saturday, May 28, 2011

TODAY'S FLOWERS # 145

I don't have all the names to these flowers but I identify those that I know.


Rose by any other name.....






Purple Meadow Rue
Thalictrum Dasycarpum
(origin Taiwan, China, Midwest US, Ontario and Arizona)




I had previously misidentified this as Common Thyme, but thanks to Pat over at Pat and Jerry's blog, and much to my surprise, she identified it correctly as Lavender.

I had found the Thyme marker at the bottom of this plant and automatically identified it as such. There was no scent of lavender that I have in my bar soap or oils that I use at home. Lavender is one of my favorite scents and I love looking at the plant at our local nurseries, but I have obviously never seen it in full bloom, thinking those thin stalks of lavender were their tiny flowers.

That's what I enjoy so much about this meme, I am always learning and there are so many of you out there who are only to willing to help me along. Please don't stop, I welcome the corrections. It's the only way I learn.



Steve from Out on the Prairie blog identified the above as a Water Horehound, a plant with a square stem and is part of the mint family. Thanks Steve.


Columbines






Columbine




Stephany at Foggy Mountain blog told me this was a Dianthis. Thanks so much Stephany.
~~~~~~~


TODAY’S FLOWER’S was created by our good friend Luiz Santilli Jr.
The link to will be opening later on today.

35 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous flowers Denise, love the Columbine, I've become partial to white blooms...
    You've got some lovely examples here, still {drooling}.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the surprise bee in the one and the comlumbine is lovely in white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Columbines are always my favorites.
    Great shot of the bumblebee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, you actually inspired me to get a better camera. It's in the mail, and now I'll have to experiment. Don't worry, no one has photos as gorgeous as yours on the web:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, love the shot with the Bee in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely collection of blossoms! Thanks for this walk through the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, they are all gorgeous and beautiful, i too could not identify the others, purple meadow rue is very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some lovely floral captures, Denise. They say "Spring".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely images Denise but the rose one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely series of photos, each of the flowers is beautiful. The Common Thyme looks like little rabbit ears, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today's flowers, are beautiful!
    Excellent photography on your blogger! Thanks for your recent visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a beautiful collection. i love all your purple flowers.:p

    Today's Flowers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonjour dear Denise,
    wow I love your flowers, the first picture is outstanding and I also love that one with the bee!
    Happy Sunday
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful collection of flowers and photos, Denise! The columbines are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your flowers brightened up a dreary day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many different delicate flowers. Very pretty. I love the Common Thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A dull day here has been brightened by these lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The purple one before the first clematis is water horehound. all mint family like this have a square stem.Some lovely flowers, thyme caught my eye.The last is a dianthus.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous blooms!

    Poppies, have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I especially love the columbines!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are indeed beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These flowers are all so beautiful. Great selection!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great shot with the bee in the flower! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous columbines! I don't think I've ever seen thyme in bloom, it's lovely and so unique. The last photo is Dianthus but I don't know which variety. Hope you're having a great weekend, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Denise,
    You have so many beautiful flower photos! Tis the season. Yea.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Every one of these flower photos is gorgeous, Denise!

    The 5th photo down is actually lavender, rather than common thyme. You can view these websites to see that they are actually lavender flowers:

    http://char84.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/lavender.jpg

    http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/shrubs/lavender-bush.jpg

    I only knew that because I have 6 lavender bushes which are all in bloom right now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The bee and the white columbine are great shots. I'll have to post some lavender, I think mine may look different.

    ReplyDelete
  28. All beautiful flowers, but I love the rose the best.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing these beauties, Denise...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for the nice reference and link to my website, Denise.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have a wonderful variety of flowers here. Very pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for leaving all your comments.

    ReplyDelete