Thursday, May 26, 2011

Red-winged Blackbird

Many of you will recognize this as a Red-winged Blackbird. I saw him at Meadowlark Gardens a couple of weeks' ago. I can't remember the first time I saw one but it was at Huntley Meadows and I was mesmerized by those red epaulets with a touch of yellow. I had a few stop by my bird feeders a few weeks ago, the first time in our garden but they haven't been back since. If you click here it will take you to a page where you can see clearer pictures and learn more about them, and also hear their bird call. I didn't think I would ever learn any kind of bird call at one time, but I heard his before I actually saw him and I knew what it was immediately. I guess it all sinks in eventually.

At the moment I am enjoying several bird calls as I have the patio door open and they are talking to each other. So relaxing to hear them chatter.

The sun is shining and the weatherman said it was going to get up to 90 degrees today. It is 72 as I type at 8.05 a.m. There is a tree out back and its branches overhang our deck a considerable way. We were asked if we would like to have them trimmed but both Gregg and I love looking at them and it gives you a feeling of being in the middle of a wood. It's also a great place for birds to hang out. I suppose once the branches start hitting the house then we will have to have something done, but not now.

Gregg left this morning after I had fixed him pancakes for breakfast. He said he thinks he might be getting home earlier today. We were both awake at around five. I'm still a wee bit tired but am heading for the coffee pot, and I think I may pick up my book for a while before I start the day. I am reading "Losing Ground" by Catherine Aird. It is about a Detective Inspector solving crimes in in a small town in England. The author is new to me and I have only read about a dozen pages but it promises be a very interesting read.

Okay, off to the coffee pot I go.

16 comments:

  1. We have a Yellow-heaaded blackbird also that has a similar call.The Red-wingeds are very territorial and line around a marsh or wetland in even spacing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very pretty bird. It's lovely to hear them chattering and singing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to have the birds in a tree right outside. We have red-winged blackbirds nesting along our creek. I love watching all the birds, but I wish I was better at recognizing their calls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had seen red-winged blackbirds only in marshland until this year. The red-winged blackbirds came to our feeders this year. We enjoy seeing them at our feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely birds. Wish our blackbirds were as pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very striking bird ! the book sounds good -you will have to let us know how you get on with it -it sounds like my kind of book !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that bird! So pretty! I don't believe they fly here in Hawaii, though.

    Don't you love crime mysteries? I just finished Douglas Corleone's ONE MAN'S PARADISE, which is about a lawyer who solves a murder in Hawaii. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colour birds Denise, you did well in their captures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to read about your blackbirds Denise. As you know our blackbirds in UK are just that, black. I counted 16 of them under my apple tree one day last winter feeding on windfalls. They do have a lovely song though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved seeing the red-wing blackbirds in Illinois too. That splash of red and yellow was so dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Names and me just don't get along, I doubt I'll ever learn the difference between a swallow and a sparrow, but if I put my mind to it, I might be able to distinguish the bird sounds. That's a pretty red-winged blackbird!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Red winged blackbirds are one of the first birds to come back in Spring..we wait for their song to herald warmer weather.
    I have not heard of the author you are reading;I love mysteries and am always looking for new ones (not gory or explicit).
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. great shot! and coffee? Sign me up :)



    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the song of the red winged blackbird!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are pretty birds, aren't they? We see them here in Ohio out on the highways, of all places. I always wonder why they aren't in a beautiful lush spot. ha.

    ReplyDelete