Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A quick stop at Walney Pond

Guess who?
Yes that's me. I took the photo with my cell phone and immediately sent it to Gregg who was at work in front of his computer. No I didn't send it to him to make him envious, I thought he would get a kick out of the fact that I was at Walney Pond . Normally we always go here together but this day was different.

I had to run a few quick errands and when I got up to our main road the traffic lights were not working, and two police officers were in position making sure we all got through safely. We always have a lot of traffic around here and one little hiccup causes a major traffic jam, so after I did my shopping and wanting to wait long enough for the lights to get fixed, I detoured to Walney Pond and decided to get some exercise while taking photos at the same time.

Walking around the pond I came across the basket with the fishing net. Presumably these were who they belonged to, a small class out on a nature trip with a teacher and a couple of moms in tow.

It had rained slightly that day and I loved the smell of the wet earth and vegetation. I find it almost intoxicating, and I am so glad I am able to get outside and enjoy one of my favorite spots.

It is only about ten minutes away from home and we get here as often as we can during the year.

We have a resident beaver but I think he was safely tucked inside his lodge as there was no sign of him.

I looked into the shallow section and saw a thousand tadpoles.

Some even had tiny legs starting to grow but you can't really see from these photos.

I felt it had been long enough to return home and start to fix dinner for Gregg. The skies were just gorgeous, and yes the traffic lights had been fixed and everyone was getting home okay. This photo was taken at another intersection about a mile away, and as you can see it was still pretty quiet here. For other posts about Walney Pond, click on the label below this post.

Right now I have the windows open and I am listening to the sound of the birds chirping. It's a little nippy, only 54 degrees F. but I love to feel the freshness in the air. It won't be long before it will be hot and humid and we'll be watching the fireflies outside.

We had an overnight guest, one of our nephews, Gregg's sister's youngest son who was in town to attend a discussion in the field he was interested getting a job in. Unfortunately we didn't get a photo. He arrived last night and we didn't want to bother him after a 200 mile journey, thought that we could get a photo this morning but it didn't happen. We'll have to wait until next time. It was great seeing him and being able to talk one-on-one, as we so rarely get to do that with him being away at school most of the year. It was a lot of fun enjoying his company.

16 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Denise: I always love seeing your pictures of Walney Pond, it's such a beautiful and serene place, all the wildlife are amazing.
I bet Greg smiled at the picture of you, it made me smile :)
Thanks for sharing your little bit of nature with us.
~Jo

Betsy said...

Love the pictures...the lilypads and tadpoles, especially!

eileeninmd said...

Denise, your walk around the Walney pond are wonderful. It looks like a great place for the birds and wildlife.

gigihawaii said...

Those tadpoles are huge. The ones in Hawaii are small by comparison. But, I must admit I always shudder when I see them. Something about tadpoles gives me the heebie-jeebies. lol

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Your pictures make me want to get out to our local nature center. I haven't been back since late winter/very early spring.

Glenda Manus said...

Denise, Your photos of Walney Pond make me want to be there. There's something so peaceful about a pond with lilypads. Refreshing. We're in the low 50's here and thinking it's chilly, but we'll soon be wishing for cool days again with the hot days ahead.

Janie said...

What a beautiful little pond, and so nice to have it close to home.
Love that first pic with your reflection.

Pauline said...

What a wonderful alternative to getting stressed in traffic. Walney Pond is a truly lovely place. Go glad you went and then shared your shots with us.

Barb said...

You have a great ecosystem to enjoy close to your home. Hope you get some pics of the tadpoles as they grow! So lush and green there.

Janet said...

What a wonderful place Walney Pond is -you are so lucky to have a place like this on your doorstep ! Love the first photograph- very clever!

diane b said...

You were lucky to be able to make that detour and spend time relaxing instead of getting caught up in stressful traffic. The boardwalk looks very inviting. Your temps are similar to ours at the moment.

Lucy (aka rharper) said...

I'd love to see it. Looks so calm and beautiful.

Out on the prairie said...

I like the water lilies and tadpoles.A lovely area to enjoy.

Cezar and Léia said...

This place is amazing, full of LIFE!
Your first picture is magnificent, so beautiful reflection!
Léia

Kay said...

This is such a beautiful place. I would sure love to see it for myself. Something about tadpoles that draws me to them. I guess I just love the metamorphises.

Marilyn said...

Beautiful pond, and lucky children to be out and about exploring. I hope they were able to see the tadpoles! ♥♫