Monday, April 25, 2011

"What are all these people looking at?"

Gregg and I spent our Easter Sunday up in the Shenandoah's. We had only just reached Skyline Drive from the Thornton Gap entrance. Gregg said, "Maybe we will see a bear today." I actually laughed. We have been visiting Skyline Drive for 35 years off and on and we haven't seen one bear. We've always heard of them from other people but have never been that lucky. Not two minutes after he made the remark about the bear, we saw people parked all over the road looking intensely into the trees. I couldn't believe it, there was Gregg's bear. So exciting! I wrote a poem to commemorate the occasion, which you can read below. Gregg also added his four-pennyworth in his Haiku.

High up in the treetops I am so happy to see
A little Black Bear staring right back at me.
All cars stopped, people jumped out.
They were so excited and skipping all about.

Out came the cameras, one, two three.
That cute little bear posed so beautifully.
He smiled and yawned as the news we learned,
And we all snapped our pictures as we took our turn.

The Ranger came by to make sure we were good,
To move those cars along and to check we didn't have food.
People parked their cars, one left the engine runnin'
'Cus they couldn't get over the sight of that bear sunnin'.

Later Gregg said, "Now how would you feel if
He saw us as his next meal?" My answer?
"Why I'd toss my sandwich at you to do a pitcher proud,
Then run like hell while ringing the dinner bell REAL loud!

Gregg knows that Denise can move pretty darned fast when she has to.

Gregg's Haiku

He's up in a tree,
First he fancied the berries
But now he fancies me.

More pictures of the bear and our day in the Shenandoah's in my next post.

19 comments:

gigihawaii said...

Well, congrats on finally seeing a bear! Cute poem, cute haiku!

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Nature at its best !

diane b said...

How exciting. I didn't know they could climb so high up into trees. Hope the branch doesn't break and he lands on someone's head. Nice poem and haiku too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Denise, this was really a timely sighting. Odd how some things just happen that way.

Jane and Chris said...

I would comment but I'm laughing too much!!
Jane x

Glenda Manus said...

Skyline Drive! I love that drive - beautiful views.

Linda Reeder said...

Fun for you, fun for us to read about it!

Don't unplug your hub said...

You lucky people. I'm pleased for you.

KaHolly said...

Delightful post!! I'm glad I chose today to check my favorite blogs!! ~karen

eileeninmd said...

Congrats Denise on your bear sighting. It is exciting to see them at Shenandoah. We have seen them along the Skyline Drive, most of the time walking across. One time in a tree with cubs. Love the cute poem and haiku.

Janet said...

How wonderful ! after 35 years of looking finally to see one -must have been a very exciting moment-you lucky things !

Out on the prairie said...

I would have loved to have been with you.I couldn't bear watching it eat gregg.

Reader Wil said...

What an adventure!! I envy you with your wildlife! We have frogs, toads, hedgehogs, ducks, swans and oh yes: blue herons! Lol.
Your poem is funny! and so is the haiku!

jabblog said...

How lucky! My daughter-in-law longed to see bears and my son had bear spray or whatever it's called, but never a bear did they see:-(
Nice poems!

imac said...

Nice Bear capture my friend.

Cloudia said...

How wonderful!

and that heron awesome too




Warm Aloha from Honolulu


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Antonette said...

Absolutely fantastic pictures and what a beautiful place. Now if humans would just let animals be like they are in your photos, the world would be a nicer place.

Kay said...

That is an excellent poem and haiku, Denise! I see that black bear was definitely a muse for the both of you. Terrific photos!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

What great pics of the bear; liked the poem and haiku too! We're hoping to travel along Skyline Drive in July.