Monday, April 18, 2011

The ubiquitous Canada Goose

The only goose I see around here is the Canada Goose. It's a good job I love them so much. I have heard all about the problems they can bring but I have only ever seen the side that makes me smile every time I see them. Their antics can be very entertaining. At Meadowlark Gardens there were several but I think their numbers are kept low.

I noticed on the glass door as we walked into the visitors' center, a portrait of a Golden Labrador. At first I thought it was a picture of a much loved missing pet, and then I read that she was a goose herder of sorts, employed to keep our friends here moving along if there became too many of them.
This one was part of a small family who were near the lake.

There were several pairs and one who looked like there was the start of a nest that she was sitting on, the first one I have seen this year. The goose below was sorting out its downy feathers.



Fascinating how beautiful those feathers can be if you take a closer look.

If you want to learn more about the Canada Goose, there's lots of interesting information if you click here.

15 comments:

Don't unplug your hub said...

Lovely photos. We have these geese on the reservoir nearby, but they are always disturbed by shooters.
Luckily we have the The wildfowl and wetlands trust nearby at Arundel West Sussex. Which is a great place to visit.

Gill - That British Woman said...

in Toronto they catch them and ship them out to other places as there are just too many of them and they poop like crazy and people complain.

I love it how they walk accross the main roads and people just come to a stop.......though the odd time you do see a squished one on the roads.

We don't see that many where we live as there is no open water around.

Gill in Canada

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love geese. They don't seem to leave during the winter though. Some of the golf courses are all fouled up with their poop.

Jane and Chris said...

They are handsome birds!
Jane x

Janet said...

Just love the sound of them honking when in flight ! great photo`s Denise!

Out on the prairie said...

I enjoy seeing the families grow down at the lake.

Kay said...

In Illinois we used to see Canada geese all the time, everywhere and I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to them. Here is Hawaii I rarely see geese and I get excited about seeing geese when we travel. These are fabulous photos, Denise!

jabblog said...

I like Canada geese, too and I love the honking they make when they fly. They certainly repay close attention, don't they? The markings and feathers are so fine.

Janie said...

Interesting close up of the feathers. We see Canada geese here in the spring and fall, and I always love to see them.

Margaret Cloud said...

Those are very pretty, in some places they do not have it so good. I always like to hear them honk as they fly over. We have quite a lot of them on the causeway.

MarieElizabeth said...

I like these shots, very different perspectives than what I usually take. I'll have to camp out with my longer lens and see what I can find with the neighbors at the pond. :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Someone told me that they mate for life?? Interesting. Love those gorgeous photos.

i beati said...

I love all waterfowl but most especially these pretty I have a beautiful pinting of them

Betsy said...

I think they're beautiful!

eileeninmd said...

Denise, awesome closeups of the Canada Goose.