Monday, April 11, 2011

A foodie post.....

Penne pasta with roasted tomatoes, garlic and white beans.

The taste buds are working much better and I thought it about time I posted a recipe. I found it here at Pixelated Crumbs and you will see more photos of the preparation there. It is a delicious meal and is now a permanent fixture in my 'make again' recipe file. You can add a green salad and a nice crusty bread but we didn't have either and we found it totally satisfying without.

3 large tomatoes (approximately 2 lbs.), cut into wedges
6 large cloves garlic, papery outer layer removed but not peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
1 (15 oz.) can Cannellini beans
1/2 lb. whole wheat Penne pasta
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 450 deg. F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 inch roasting pan with non-stick spray (I used non-stick aluminum foil to line the pan and deleted this step). Slice each tomato into 8 wedges and discard the seeds. Place the tomato wedges and garlic into the prepared pan and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a few turns of black pepper. Roast in the oven, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes.

Next drain the Cannellini beans into a large colander in the sink. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the packet. Drain the pasta into the colander containing the beans so that the hot water will warm the beans. Return the drained pasta and beans to the pot.

When the tomatoes are done pick out the garlic cloves, squeeze the garlic out of their skins into a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add the lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and additional 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to blend. Lightly toss the tomatoes and torn basil into the pasta and then pour the lemon juice mixture over all and toss again to combine.

Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.

15 comments:

  1. Somehow this reminds me of the movie Eat, Pray, Love. Yummmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks yummy! I will try it during the weekend! Wonderful idea, thanks for sharing!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just put this in my Favorites so that once I am back home I will have this yummy sounding dish at my fingertips. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMMMMMMMMMMM this is soul food, very good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY mouth was watering just reading the recipe-will definitely give it a go !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the recipe. The final entree looks delicious. I'm bookmarking this post for future retrieval.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hungry now - and must move my backside and make some dinner! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks absolutely Yummy... I can almost get a whiff of all the flavors!! You have a wonderful blog, this is my first visit here... Enjoyed my stay here, have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. gardens below are stunnning . I love this dish. I have tortellini with roasted eggplant and tomatoes and feta ready to go..sk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meadow larks & Parmesan;
    great title for your autobiography!



    Warm Aloha from Waikiki


    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are feeling better and can cook once more. I must try that recipe. Yummy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pasta and beans together - interesting. Can't do the garlic. Would it have enough flavor without it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so delicious and so authentic Italian. Not the swimming in tomato sauce kind! I am hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks delicious, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks and sounds very tasty, Denise.

    ReplyDelete