Thursday, April 28, 2011

Adding to a collection....

Years ago when our son was in high school, he and his classmates went on two school trip to England one year apart from each other. This is going back, 14-15 years. He had a marvelous time on each occasion. We had been taking him back and forth to visit family since he was a baby, so he felt very at home when he got there.

He presented me with these on his return, the first year he gave me the English Bobby, and the second year I got John Bull and the Fox Hunter. The dogs were two bulldogs and a Fox Hound and I loved them, still do.


They are all very special to me but if I had to pick a favorite I would choose the Bobby, because of the connection to my Dad. If you've been reading my blog for a while you may already know that my Dad was a 30 year career police officer on the Staffordshire Police Force in the UK.


I do love this Fox Hound in his bright red coat.


Here is John Bull with his Union Jack Vest.


Here's Bobby again.



Meet my latest addition to this collection. I was dusting off the figurines a couple of weeks ago, and I got curious. I had long forgotten who created these delightful doggies and did a Google search. If you want to do the same the designer is Robert Harrop. There are several other dogs in various styles of clothing and when I spotted Winnie here, I just had to have him. So, I think he may have started my collecting gene off again as I now have an eye on several others. And I thought those days were over!



Here are two photos I found of Winston Churchill online and you can read his biography here.
My parents were always staunch supporters and I heard so many stories about him when I was a little girl, so there was no passing up this opportunity of adding to my collection of doggie people.


On one more note I am going to be spending the day with my British friends tomorrow watching the Royal Wedding.

And oh my gosh, would you look at these? I found this on line too but it didn't have an address where I could order them. Hmmmm.......I can see my garden gnome phase coming on, what do you think?

21 comments:

Lucy (aka rharper) said...

I'd just love to see England. I probably never will. Sometimes I wish my ancestors had stayed there. So pretty and green. And I'd love to pick up the accent.

Don't unplug your hub said...

They are probably worth a few bob more these days.

Linda Reeder said...

I like the doggies, but I don't know about the gnomes.
Have a great time watching the wedding. I will record it to watch when I get up, taking time out to go to our Friday morning breakfast, where I will wear and hat and order tea.

Glenda Manus said...

I love it! So glad you posted your new Winnie.

Kathy said...

I think it's imperative that you add Winnie to your collection! They're absolutely divine!

Genie said...

I have you up and running in my sidebar.....my collection of goodies cannot begin to equal yours, but I adore every little bit of it. I have got find my worn out flag and fly it before I go to sleep...if I can. I ;love this post....adore Churchill....what a giant of a man! Still have 150,000 FF miles on BA so can make one last trip ...it is on the top of my “Bucket List!” Genie

Cloudia said...

delightful kitsch!



Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

crafty cat corner said...

I just love those dogs, I live here and I haven't seen them. The Winston Churchill is great.

It is all go here today with the Royal Wedding getting under way. My Daughter in law is actually coming down from Scotland to be in the crowds, I don't expect she will see a great deal but the atmosphere will be fabulous. We used to go up to London for the Trooping of the Colour when the children were young and there is nothing like it. Next door have their bunting strung all round the garden and street parties are getting organized, the air is electric.

Have a good day yourself
Briony
x

Marina said...

Funny collection!!! I'll have you in my mind while I'll be visiting London next winter!

Diane AZ said...

Cute collection, I couldn't pick a favorite. :)

imac said...

Real interesting pieces here my friend.

Out on the prairie said...

Some fun treasures, I like them all

Martha Z said...

Those are great, they bring a smile.

Scott said...

I have to say that it is a cute collection you are starting. Nice job.

diane b said...

I love the dogs not s sure about the gnomes??? We watched the wedding last night. I can imagine you would have loved it too. The English really know how to put on pomp and ceremony. I loved the colours and the history. Sometimes i thought it was like a big fancy dress ball. Some of the fashions were over the top but some were lovely. I loved the old traditional costumes.

Brad Gullickson said...

Love the new Churchill figure!

eileeninmd said...

They are cute, Denise! I like the doggies. Why not add to your collection.

i beati said...

I have now watched the wedding 4 times. I love tradition but most especially the music.. Better than any Hollywood score.
theses are fabulous really so fun to look at ..Are you embracing Spring for me??

Janie said...

Your son was so thoughtful and knows you well to get the exact gifts that would appeal to you.
BTW, I like your bear header!

Sandra said...

really cute and i love to get a gift card from Amazon because they have everything under the sun to choose from. i think Winnie might be my favorite. i do like Alfred

Michael Twin said...

Nice Post, Thanks for your very useful information... I will bookmark for next reference.