Friday, March 25, 2011

Walking along the Boardwalk in Virginia Beach

When we visit Virginia Beach - you can find all about the city's history if you click here - one of the things we always love to do is walk along the Boardwalk. Here is King Neptune again. You can read all about him here. He attracts many tourists with their cameras. Gregg took all these photos of him. In fact, Gregg took a lot of these photos in today's post.

Son of Saturn, Lord of the Sea, King Neptune stands at 26 feet tall and is the largest statue erected in the United States since the Iwo Jima Memorial.

The sculptor is Paul DiPasquale and it was erected in 2005 in honor of the annual Neptune Festival. . The process required 80 tons of clay, 25 tons of plaster, 1 ton of glue and 7,500 grinding and sanding discs.

And here I am at its base. There is also various marine life displayed. Each time I visit I am always in awe of this magnificent statue, always as though I am seeing it for the first time.

We are both enjoying the warmth of the sunshine and it is almost too warm for our winter clothing.

There is also a lot of activity on the water. This is the first time I noticed someone wearing a safety helmet while riding one of these things. Smart man!

The seagulls were enjoying the sun just as much as we were.

We drove down on Saint Patrick's Day and couldn't help but notice a lot of marquis were being set up along the beach. This one was big enough to hold a thousand people. Lots of parties and I also found out there was going to be a marathon. Glad we came this day and not the weekend. It would have been a zoo and I think they were closing off a lot of the streets for the marathon.

There is a separate lane for rentals such as this, and in the summer there are many cyclists. You have to be careful when crossing over to the other side. I nearly got run over one year by a policeman who yelled, "Use your eyes!" I probably gave him a scare too. They get up to quite a speed. So, it's best to look both ways beforehand and use your common sense just like you would when crossing a busy road.

Hmmm.......what is Denise taking a photo of?

This time when we headed for the boardwalk we decided to turn right. Gregg said we had pretty much explored the other direction on past visits and I am glad we did as we came across a school of colorful fish.

There are several artsy sculptures as you walk along. This is the first time I have seen this one.

Be still my beating heart, I am in love! This adorable Wheaton Terrier caught my eye just about the same time he saw me when he started wagging his tail furiously. Friendly little fella!

I took loads of photos of him.

This little girl was too fast.....

but lo and behold on our way back to the car we caught up with her as she was about to cross the road at a traffic light. This is Maggie with her very nice human. You can get into some lovely conversations while waiting for the lights to change.
Hope you've enjoyed your stroll along the Boardwalk.

17 comments:

KaHolly said...

I enjoyed your post today. I spent the first few years of my life on Virginia Beach, as my dad was stationed there while in the Navy. My how it's changed in the last 50-odd years!!

Honest Abe Lincoln said...

I did enjoy your post. I also love dogs so everything is in the post that I like. I read your post and am typing on my new iPad, that came yesterday.

Cloudia said...

What fun!

Loved your smiles




Aloha to you
from Waikiki!


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

gigihawaii said...

LOVELY!

Sharon said...

Good post, very interesting and I loved that terrier too! That statue is fantastic! Great tour, Thanks!

Rosalee Bloss said...

Hello, I have been reading your blog for a few weeks now. I have been to VA but not Virginia Beach. It seems like a really great place to go. Maybe someday . . . . . Loved your walking mini-vacation! Thanks for the tour!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Bob and I will be taking that walk next month. We are looking forward to a weekend in the sun! I don't remember seeing those fish the last time we were at Virginia Beach.

diane b said...

It is nice to see a sunny blog after all the cold snowy ones. The boardwalk sounds a great way to spend some time at the beach. The fish are amusing and Neptune a super statue. I didn't realise how big it was until I saw you standing at the base of it. Happy smile too.

i beati said...

lovely memories

Out on the prairie said...

A lovely stroll

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Looks like a nice outing. What a colossal statue.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Fabulous pictures, especially the doggie ones! It kind of reminds me of The Little Mermaid where you were with the statue of Kind Neptune.

CJ xx

mommanator said...

man has Va beach changed

imac said...

Looks like you are having a whale of a time.

Jean said...

I enjoyed learning more about King Neptune. Dang...now I want to visit VA Beach. They should add this post to their Website!

Kay said...

Looks to me like you're having a great time. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Denise, enjoyed your boardwalk stroll especially since we have never really strolled the Virginia Beach area despite being on the VA eastern shore. Maybe we'll do it before the summertime season cause it looks like a fun place with lots to see. Thanks!