Monday, March 28, 2011

A ramble, a funny poem and a few flower photos.

I feel in need of a funny poem this morning and pretty pictures of flowers. For the first time I can remember Gregg and I are hard down with one of the worst colds we have ever had, and stranger than that have actually gotten sick at the same time, moreorless. I was about two days ahead of Gregg but he quickly caught up.

We were very sad because Saturday we were to go to the wedding of two young friends of ours and looking forward to it tremendously. However, we were so ill there was no way we could attend. At first when it looked like I wouldn't be up to it, Gregg said he would go representing both of us. Then the day after we had made this decision he got sick, and along with all his other symptoms he lost his voice.

We were trying to come up with all kinds of scenarios. Would we look out of place wearing masks? Threw that idea out and we weren't really serious. We thought at first to go and sit way in the back, so that if we had a coughing fit we could leave without disturbing anyone, tossed around a few other ways of how we could get there, then finally good reasoning won out because the thought of that very dear couple getting sick on their honeymoon and us being the cause of it sealed the deal. We decided to be responsible and not pass on the blasted germs also to our son and daughter-in-law and to everyone else. We stayed in bed all day with the energy level of a couple of sloths, suffering with fits of sneezing and coughing, chills and fevers, passing the box of tissues back and forth along with the cough drops, and feeling thoroughly miserable, not just because we were feeling so lousy but because we had to miss this lovely wedding. Blasted colds! It's been a donkey's age since we caught one and have to say have never gotten sick at the same time before.

I came across this poem a while ago and it brought back the memory of when while fishing my Dad slipped off the rock, not into a pond but into the sea. My Mother, bless her, was always very nervous near water and so would quietly tell me to go along with Dad so that I could 'take care of him'. "I'm always worried your Dad is going to fall in Neesy." She never wanting him to go on his own. I used to go fishing with my Dad quite a bit but wasn't a fisherman at heart as I never failed to get upset when I saw the fish on the line, and asking him if the worms could feel pain being stuck on the hook like that. Poor Dad, blessed with two girls and no sons. He was always so good and never got cross at such questions. I know he enjoyed my company even though I am sure he must have rolled his eyes a few times.

Dad was never very successful at catching 'the big one' but back then I didn't get it, that he was never that bothered about catching 'the big one', that the idea was to sit in peace and silence for a few hours. For him it was part of the enjoyment and so we sat in companionable silence for the most part. That is until he actually caught a pretty sizable fish and before I could say those magical and predictable words, "You are going to throw it back aren't you Dad?" he got so excited that he slipped off the rock and fell into the sea. I rushed over in a panic, not that I would have been able to pull him out. It was a bit too far down for me. I watched as he climbed out of the water gripping onto the edge of the rock with his fingers and hoisting himself back next to me. I was trembling but still remember being amazed that he was still wearing his fishing hat, which was sopping wet along with the rest of him, and his glasses were still on his nose all lopsided.

Once we got over the shock we both stared at each other and burst out laughing and couldn't stop for ages. We stayed long enough for his clothes to dry out and we made a pact. We decided it would be best not to tell Mum when we got home because she would have gone into a panic at the thought of it, and we felt it would be kinder for her not to know.

Daddy Fell into the Pond

by Alfred Noyes

Everyone grumbled. The sky was grey.
We had nothing to do and nothing to say.
We were nearing the end of a dismal day,
And then there seemed to be nothing beyond,
Then Daddy fell into the pond!

And everyone's face grew merry and bright,
And Timothy danced for sheer delight.
"Give me the camera, quick, oh quick!
He's crawling out of the duckweed!" Click!

Then the gardener suddenly slapped his knee,
And doubled up, shaking silently,
And the ducks all quacked as if they were daft,
And it sounded as if the old drake laughed.
Oh, there wasn't a thing that didn't respond
When Daddy Fell into the pond!

~~~~~

(All photos were taken at the Norfolk Botanical Garden, Norfolk, Virginia)

22 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you are sick and nasty sick too. Hope you feel better soon. Bad luck about missing the wedding you'll have to see the photos.
    A lovely story about the bond you had with your father. Unfortunately I couldn't see the poem just a black space for me. This is the second blog I've had trouble with I'm starting to think it might be my browser or computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you have been feeling poorly Denise and hope that both you and Gregg are soon completely well again. Beautiful floral pictures but no poem for me either! A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That memory of you and your wet dad is so sweet, Denise. I guess you never did tell your mum, hunh? What a perfect poem to go with the memory.

    I sure hope you feel better soon. There are so many people around me getting sick. I think it's just a matter of time before I get it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, sorry to read your feeling poorly, get a toddy or two down you both !
    What a precious story of your dad, it must be an English thing, I've always wondered if the little worm feels pain on the hook ?
    Lovely pictures and poem Denise.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the poem and the story which I was fortunate enough to read - like diane b I have been unable to see photos on other blogs but yours was fine. Hope you and Greg soon recover form your colds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you two had a bug, but at least you can't blame each other for sharing I'm sorry you missed the wedding. Get well soon!

    That story about you and your Dad - aah nice memories! The poem was a good one, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame you missed the wedding-hope you both are feeling a lot better soon. loved the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are soon feeling better.
    I remember when I went on a walk with my Dad on the way back from a camping holiday. Dad fell into a rushing river by a waterfall. I ran as fast as I could to my Mum, who was still in the van, to tell her that we needed to unpack the van to get Dad some dry clothes....except I couldn't get it out I was laughing so much!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are feeling better soon. I was hit with that same cold a week or so ago, down for days and that is not naromal for me. Sorry you missed the wedding, but I am sure they appreciated t your concernt o not infect them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have taken that one bad step myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a hard decision to make but I'm sure you made the right one in the end. I hope you and Greg are on the mend now. I had to cancel out on a luncheon last week because of a horrible sore throat that I didn't want to pass around like my adorable daughter did when she gave it to me. I so enjoyed reading your lovely little memory about your dad. Thank goodness your mom made you go with him so you could have this experience with him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this post is so wonderful on so many levels, Denise! Love it!

    And is your nickname still Neesy? Cute! Does your husband call you that?

    If you were my daughter, I'd call you Dee, which means GOOD in Thai.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great poem and so true of us all - except poor old Dad of course. A x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was absolutely charming! What a lovely story.

    I'm sorry to hear you and your husband are ill. Illness is always hardest on the healthy!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Diane, hope that you and Gregg are feeling better. While it's sad to have missed the wedding, it was better not to share your illness. We attended the wedding of a neighbor this weekend, the first such event we've gone to in many years and it was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, hope you are both feeling much better now. I am sure your friends new you were at there wedding in spirit. Oh & I can see the poem-Good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonjour dear Denise, wonderful pictures.The Botanic Garden is a special place!
    Take good care of yourself okay, I'm sending you love and good energies!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bummer! Feeling like a sloth sounds about right. (when one is sick)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear Denise...you were so much sick???
    So did I!!! I had a terrible cold AND the flu too!!! Ι still cough and have a small pain in my ear!
    I hope you're getting better and better, day by day!!!
    If you want to visit me please use the tranlator on the top of my blog! Happy to hear from you...!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can sympathize with you, I am trying to get over the worst cold I have had in ten years. I am sorry you two had to miss the wedding, but you made a wise decision. I had to laugh at your fish story and your mom probably would of had a panic attack/ It was nice of you to keep your dad company. Hope you are feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry that you weren't able to attend the wedding; hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear about the bad colds.
    The fishing poem and your personal memories are great. When Steve took our daughter fishing, she would insist on taking the worms out of the carton and naming them. Naturally, a named worm couldn't go on a hook, so the fishing was never very successful!

    ReplyDelete