Friday, February 18, 2011

Sights and Scenes around Coronado, Southern California

As I promised a few posts back, here are a few photos from our walk around Coronado several months ago. The above photo is one I took as we crossed the Coronado Bridge. I had to crop it to get rid of the concrete barriers at the bottom of the picture.

Back in the days when we used to live in the San Diego area, I lost count of the times we drove across that bridge. In Gregg's Navy days he was attached to two ships that were stationed there. Often I would drop him off or pick him up, or occasionally have dinner on the ship when he had the duty. I also visited another navy wife on the island. She and her husband, who was the Executive Officer on the ship, rented a house not too far away from the base. I got to know the area pretty well.

Then of course there were times when we had relatives or friends visiting us, and we would always end up at the Hotel Del, which was on the list of places to take them to. I have another post in the near future of our trip to the hotel. In the next to last photo I have shared a postcard. The building with the red roof is the hotel complex. Click here for their official site.

Gregg first came to San Diego early in 1970 on USS Lynde McCormick and remembers riding the water taxi from downtown San Diego to his ship when the ship was at anchor in the harbor. A short time later the water taxi's stopped operating.

We were chatting about that bridge the other day and he remembered something he had not thought of in years. He told me that one morning when they were getting underway from anchor in the harbor, as they were heading out to sea they noticed a water taxi chasing the ship. It turned out that one of the first-class gunner's mates was coming back late from liberty. They kept the accommodation ladder over the side in hopes that the water taxi would catch up with them and drop off the petty officer. As luck would have it, it did. That is Gregg's last memory of the water taxi, and I am sure that petty officer has told that story to his kids and grandkids a few times.

I enjoyed being in Coronado again. Some of the homes are small and quaint but are prime real estate.
I also enjoyed the medians, every hundred yards or so there were pretty memorial gardens.

The traffic can get a bit heavy at times but it's a good excuse to slow down and enjoy your surroundings because there is a lot to see on each side of the road, and it isn't long before you get to your destination.

I have already shared the place where we had lunch. If you missed it you can see it here. This place - Mootime Creamery - looked really interesting. Click here for their website.

If we hadn't had such a big meal at the restaurant, we would have stopped for dessert. They sell yogurt, ice-cream and sorbet. Gregg liked the cows outside.....

and even Elvis greets you at the door.

A walk around a bookstore is always a must.....

and Bay Books fitted the bill. You can find their website here.

It was fun to walk around and we enjoyed mostly browsing in shop windows.

We saw a pet groomer.....

passed by a drycleaner with all kinds of pretty threads in the window.......

a garage.....

a coffee shop.....

some pretty big homes.....

and lovely smaller ones......

This is my dream home, for the curb appeal alone. Well, maybe in my next life time.

People were getting around on bikes and I found out about a bike rental that we might use the next time we're out there. It was pretty close by but there are loads of rental places, which you can check out on this page.




I liked the look of all the bikes but thought the top one with the two baskets was just my style. If I got too tired to use those bikes, this would be a great van to haul them around in, but then I guess we wouldn't get all that great exercise.

We parked our car on the same street as this church. I was glad to get back to our car as we had walked and walked and walked, and my feet had started talking back to me.


Here are the postcards I mentioned earlier.

You can learn all about the bridge if you click here.

16 comments:

  1. I've never even been to California before - thanks for your stunning photos!!

    And it would be fun to rent a bike and bike around! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific photos and commentary, Denise! No need to go there in person. We've seen it all now! lol.

    I liked the cows. They look so real. What a stunning tribute to their sculptor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like the weather but not sure with traffic.Where I live a rush hour jam is 8-10 cars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather and I went to Coronado Island long time before our son was born and had a great time checking out the Hotel, walking on the beach, having a drink at the bar, and walking around the surrounding area. It is a very nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting tour Denise! I have never been to Coronado, but I do love Southern California - at least I did about 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so much fun, Denise. I do love living vicariously through you. What a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise, thanks for taking the time to share this southern CA trip with us through photos and commentary -- just awesome. The shops look very quaint, and CA homes are just so different from what you see in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely trip. Probably the only way I'll ever get there is through your eyes, so thank you for that!! Glad you enjoyed yourselves. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks a lovely place, so clean and so much space. I'd enjoy a visit there, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the trip around Coronado.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely series and tour. I like the cows too. Great photos, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful area. Especially at this cold time of year, I'd rather be in southern California!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bicycle with two baskets appeals to me too. The picture of the tree (?) above that bicycle looks similar to one that I saw at Walt Disney World a while back. Coronado looks like a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful variety of photos. I really felt like I was with you. Must have been a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its nice to re-visit places with old memories Denise, lots of interesting scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got several of our hang-outs! Our dog groomer, our church, even my dentist office! Looks like you had fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete