Monday, February 7, 2011

My Dad's Old Camera

This is my Dad's old camera. For years I thought that it had been given to him on his 21st birthday, but I am not sure if my memory is playing tricks. It is a fuzzy, blurry recollection in my head. I hear my Dad telling me it was was a gift from his parents when he turned 21 on November 15th, 1937. No matter how it came about, it is one of my most prized possessions. It may not be worth a lot of money but to me it is priceless treasure. I have something that belonged to my Dad and we shared a common bond, our love for photography.

I truly believe he is the one who passed on the photographer's gene, with a desire to capture many of life's moments. Judging by all the old family photos we all did our part to record as many as we could. My Mom and Dad gave me my first camera when I was 13 years of age, an old box Brownie. I don't know where that went to. I think I may have one photo of me using it, but I haven't come across it yet. One of these days maybe, when I am looking for something else. I think that is how it usually works isn't it?

In the meantime, in grand family tradition, I will keep capturing as much as I can in this life. Even the simplest of things can become a treasured memory 20-30 years down the road, one that we don't always fully appreciate at the time.

22 comments:

Kathiesbirds said...

Denise, this is all so true! How nice that you have the camera!

Janet said...

How lovely it has found such an appreciated home- I`am sure your dad would be delighted to know it is in safe hands

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That camera is a treasure. I agree totally, photographs are a treasure. There is not many things more fun than looking through old albums and remembering people.

Sharon said...

That's neat that you have your Dad's old camera. Does it work or don't they make the film for it anymore? I know this is often the case.

Looking at old pictures - when you look casually at one it's so and so, then you can see this and then that - things you could tell a story about and you can spend an hour relating the facts of just one picture. Pictures really do preserve your memories!

Kay said...

What a cool camera that is. And in such good shape. Does it still work? I'll bet it's worth a lot of money.

Kay

Out on the prairie said...

There are a few who still use the older stuff. I was reluctant to go digital, which sounds crazy now 7 cameras later.It was hard to give up techniques with film and slides.Lovely treasure.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

How very cool. My daughter collects old cameras.

KaHolly said...

Oh, Denise, what a priceless treasure! You are very fortunate that it has survived all these years. We moved around so much, all those special little treasures are long gone.

Linda Reeder said...

Wonderfulold camera, with a meaningful history.

Marina said...

You're so true!!!
I have a wooden casket from my dad! He had it when he was going school!!! I thing it's one from the most valuable things I have!!!

Tina said...

oh thats beautiful and what a fantastic momentum of your father to keep.

Tina from Mummy Diaries

gigihawaii said...

I for one love to see your photos of nature as well as the sites when you travel. Keep them coming. You inspire me to do the same, Denise.

Jack and Joann said...

I like the picture and the old camera. Great story too. Jack was not much of a camera person but he married me so now he has to be a camera buff. Our two daughters picked up the habit from me and one took one year of photography at Hayfield and the other did three years and learned how to develop her own pictures for the advanced course.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I am wondering, too, if the camera is still operational.

fredamans said...

I'd bet that camera is worth more than you think. Even so, treasure it forever.

imac said...

Real nice camera that my friend.

Cloudia said...

so THAT'S where your talent comes from :)



Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

><}}(°>

Kay said...

How wonderful to have this treasure to remind you of your dad. It's really a beautiful camera.

Roy said...

Check these sites out Denise, I wonder what your Dad would have thought about cameras that exist today.

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium/pm.cgi?action=display&login=vpspecial

http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/kodak_mn_e.htm

Margaret Cloud said...

That sure is a nice old vintage camera. You did inherit the gene for taking good pictures and pictures of many subjects. We have all looked forward to each post and the pictures they contain.

Lovethesun said...

I love the old 120 film cameras....and have used various models...possibly not quite as old as yours.... at different times, when I was a wedding photographer. Have you taken photos with it?

But now, I couldn't do without my digital!!!

diane b said...

We have come down very similar paths. Our dads had similar cameras, we both have inherited a love of photography, we both had Brownie Box cameras, we both came from England and we both like blogging. Unfortunately I don't still have my dad's camera or the Brownie.