Thursday, January 6, 2011

Washington, DC - Part 1

Photos taken on a trip into Washington DC a few days after Christmas. We enjoy the city very much. It is about 25 miles away from home and we have visited in all seasons.

This is the building that houses the Air and Space Museum. We haven't visited it in quite a while but it is a wonderful place to walk around. You can click here to find out more. There are actually two Smithsonian Air and Space Museums, the other is not too far from where we live, only 20 minutes or so. It is called the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center and is close to the Washington Dulles International Airport. If you go here it will take you to their website and it is another place that I can highly recommend if you plan on visiting this area.
We are on our way to the art museum to see a Norman Rockwell exhibit, and we walked across the Mall where you can see The Capitol Building in the distance. You can click here to find out its history.
You often meet friendly people in the city. There was a lady taking photos of her young boys and we asked if she would like for us to take one with the three of them. She was very happy we had offered and she did the same for us.

This is The National Gallery of Art where at first we thought held the Norman Rockwell exhibit. After browsing around for a while we found out from the information desk that it was at another museum, not actually on The Mall but more into the city. It was a few blocks walk from where we were, and as we enjoy walking it just added to the enjoyment of the day. Of course it would have been even more enjoyable if I hadn't tripped over and landed hard on my knees. The only thing I would advise people coming here is to watch out for those steps, they are higher than you think. The National Gallery of Art also has an amazing collection of artwork. If you want to find out more you can click here.


I am always happy when Gregg takes photos on our outings as he tends to see things that I miss, like the designs above the entrance.
By this time we are on our way to the other museum. Washington DC has a wonderful selection of restaurants. I found this one interesting enough to photograph. We have never been there but here is their website.
It had some interesting and colorful artwork of its own in the front windows.

One of the metro buses.
So many interesting sights to see, and if we are in any mood for Hamlet we know where to go.
Passing by a shop window I noticed this on display. Clara Barton was a very famous figure from the Civil War era, and you can learn more here.

The section of building next to Starbuchs is Clara Barton's old home.
I always have a great interest in buildings, more so the older ones.
What I think is a really clever idea is renting a bike to get around the city. SmartBike DC will soon be called Capital Bike Share and you can go visit their website here.
Just pick up your bike in one spot and return it to any of the other bike stations located throughout DC.
I have had family and friends visit The International Spy Museum and this is on our list. They tell me it is an extremely fascinating place to visit. Find out more here.
Right across the street from the spy museum is our destination, The Smithsonian Institution Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture. Go here for more on this place. Too much to see in one visit and had so much fun walking around we will be going back.
A few scenes on our way to the metro stop and as we had walked our feet off we decided to take a metro train. The stop was only a short walk from the museum and we caught a train back to the Mall near where we had parked our car.




That's about it for today. In the next post I will show you inside the museums we visited.

18 comments:

  1. Bonjour dear Denise!
    Hey, your header is fantastic, looks like a fairy tail scenery!
    Thanks for sharing your trip in this fabulous city.I want to come back to Washington DC with my kids this time, because Cezar and I really appreciated the time there.Everything works well, transportation, museums,everything is clean and well cared, people are polite and there is a charming feeling in everywhere!
    I'm anxious to see more for your pictures!
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice DC photos. It has been 19 years since I visit DC, but loved the museums a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DC has plenty for the visitors. Love the buildings, retaurants and museums. Did you know that we don't call Art Galleries, museums. We call them Art Galleries. What we call a museum is a building with collections of artifacts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably do, I just remembered you are English....doh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, the spy museum sounds interesting.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lovely photos tell me I should visit D.C. again rather than travel to foreign destinations. David and I last visited in 1987.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to say that in all my travels, I've never been to Washington. Your post makes me think that I should :)
    ☼ Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is fun to look around from your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Denise... I always love seeing and hearing more about things which are available in our big cities. I love Washington DC --but haven't been there in awhile.

    We went to DC on a bus in about 2005 to attend Tennessee Day at the National Cathedral... What a fabulous experience.

    Thanks again for sharing... Love the photos and explanations.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. A photo of you on a bike Denise, thats what we need to see.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Real nice pics Denise, love the fun ones too, and of course you 2 togther.lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your knees are all better. Looks like a very interesting trip. Nice you were able to get away for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you and Gregg had quite an adventure before you even reached the museum you were seeking. Thanks for sharing a fascinating walk with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great trip. You sure saw a lot on your outing. Its a good thing that you like to walk.

    Very interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos, I haven't been to DC in years. I love the sculptures in front of the Mexican restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post Denise! I took a virtual D.C. trip with you. Your husband does have an eye for noticing little things in a scene. There's so much to see in D.C. and things are always changing too so you need to go back to places you have been to before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so enjoyed this post,so full of information and lovely photos.I will probably never be able to make visit to these places myself but enjoyed the tour thanks to all the links in the post.Look forward to the rest of the tour,thanks for sharing.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope your knee is better. I like all the pictures and I think I need to go see some of this first hand. Your pictures are always so nice and clear and I always enjoy your descriptions. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete