Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Resigning....

I Resign

(one the most classic motivational poems)

~~~

I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult.

I have decided I would like to accept the responsibilities of an 8-year-old again.

I want to go to McDonald's and think that it's a four star restaurant.

I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make ripples with rocks.

I want to think M&Ms are better than money because you can eat them.

I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on a hot summer day.

I want to return to a time when life was simple.

When all you knew were colors, multiplication tables, and nursery rhymes, but that didn't bother you, because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care.

All you knew was to be happy because you were blissfully unaware of all the things that should make you worried or upset.

I want to think the world is fair.

That everyone is honest and good.

I want to believe that anything is possible.

I want to be oblivious to the complexities of life and be overly excited by the little things again.

I want to live simple again.

I don't want my day to consist of computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness, and loss of loved ones.

I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow.

So...here's my checkbook and my car keys, my credit cards and all my responsibility.

I am officially resigning from adulthood.

And if you want to discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, 'cause,

"Tag! You're it."


20 comments:

Kay said...

I love this, Denise. Now that I'm retired... I do feel almost like I don't have as many responsibilities. I'm loving it.

matron said...

Can I be the first to join your gang,please.!!
I agree with the sentiment in this post,we have such a hard time and so much responsibility as adults.Retirement helps,but you still have to juggle the purse strings,look out for your grown up children and worry about the Grandchildren as their lives seem so much more complicated to our childhood.
I loved this post,thank you.
Carolyn.

Valerie said...

I wish! Love the poem, it says it all about escapism.

diane b said...

Can I come too.

Lucy (aka rharper) said...

Wow, so true!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

When a child the desire is to grow up, become an adult, so that you can do anything you want to do. Oh, yes, as an adult I can relate to this poem!

Jane and Chris said...

Ditto!
Jane x

Sharon said...

When I was a child, I wanted to be older .... another case of ..... be careful what you wish for.

MarieElizabeth said...

Me too...where do I send the letter?!

imac said...

Denise, what a fun post.Love it.

Out on the prairie said...

Many times we refrain from doing something fun because it may seem childish. Open up your lives more, you miss out on a lot of fun. That is what I enjoy when I speak, the kids are so open and free with their thoughts. One group I had said last weekend I spent shoot pelicans. Now this was after a lengthy slide show, but one boy asked,"Are they any good to eat?"

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

No more budgets, no more reviews, no more updates, no more mission statements, no more, no more no more.

Cezar and Léia said...

Thanks so much for this lovely moment in my day, your post is beautiful!
Léia

Jean said...

You just diagnosed my "mental" disorder.
I want to be an eight year old forever!!!
Dang....need to share this on Facebook and Tweet it!!!

Gill - That British Woman said...

please count me in, as I want to be a kid again!!!

Gill

Indrani said...

Loved every line of it. :)
Truly wish to go back in time.

Barb said...

Sounds lovely...

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful post and poem, Denise! You asked about my birdcam , it is made for outside use but could be inside also. Mine was bought from Amazon.com. It takes 4 d size batteries. I also have the swing around arm to mount it on a shephard hook, so I can swing it all around. It also comes with bungee cords to wrap around a tree if you like. If you need to know more email me at eileen3600 at live dot com.

Margaret Cloud said...

This is really a great poem. We have all wished for the things this poem mentions. I wrote a post about being a kid again.

Rosie said...

When as a child I wanted to be all grown, I am all grown up now, but have managed to keep some of the child in me. It's what keeps me sane in this busy world.