Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Morning Rambles

We have been enjoying our new TV. Our other one broke down and after going back and forth for a while, we decided to buy one just a little bit larger than the last. Buying anything new after being used to the old one for several years is like going from a propeller to a jet airplane and we have now joined the ranks of flat screen TV's. Our old set wasn't that big but it was incredibly heavy, and carrying that around as we retired it was a challenge to say the least.

We won't buy anything new usually until things just give up or fall apart. Our dishwasher also gave up the ghost. It was a choice of a new TV or a new dishwasher. No contest, I put a pair of washing-up gloves on the shopping list. This TV was our Christmas gift to each other, and I think Gregg needs a dishwasher for his birthday in March, what do you think? Yes I am joking, again, sort of. "We" - that's me and the mouse in my pocket and a quaint expression that Gregg likes to use - don't mind waiting until March. Besides, Gregg actually finds washing dishes relaxing. Thank you Bea for getting those kids to wash dishes when they were growing up. I have a husband who actually enjoys doing the dishes, so between the two of us we get the job done.

Last Wednesday I invited my friends over for lunch. I bought a Honey-Baked Ham and fixed mashed potatoes, grilled onions, roasted carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, wheat rolls and a salad of sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.

I forgot that I had also bought a variety of fruits for a fruit salad, and honey-mustard and horseradish cream to go with the ham. That all stayed in the refrigerator unnoticed until the evening when the light bulb finally turned on, the one in my head that is. The one in the refrigerator burnt out longer than I care to mention and I decided that we should join the energy savers and make do. I justify everything. I am not admitting to anything else. We couldn't be procrastinators could we?

For dessert I bought a Rum Cake and served it with Vanilla and Caramel ice-cream, not forgetting one of the bottles of Electric Reindeer (white wine) that I bought for Christmas, recommended by a friend. My idea for a home-made dessert got left behind as I realized I had left it too late and just ran out of time.

The girls said there was a lot of food. It was I told them but that Gregg was hoping we would leave him some leftovers. In this house we love leftovers and it lasted for a few days.

I wasn't driving so I had two glasses of wine with my lunch. I put in a Hummingbird movie on the TV which I wanted to show the girls. In the meantime I had filled up the bird feeders and thrown out peanuts for the squirrels, so between the hummingbird movie - which was fantastic - to the backyard wildlife outside, we were highly entertained. This in between all the talking we did. Inside we learned all about those amazing little birds and outside we were visited by squirrels, a male Downy Woodpecker, a male Red-headed Woodpecker, Dark-eyed Junco's, Black-capped Chickadees and one male Cardinal. I am happy they put on such a great show. More birds turned up after my friends had gone.

When Gregg came home and I served up dinner he had a big smile on his face and enjoyed his meal very much. He said, "Thank you Girls" as we toasted them with a Newcastle Ale. He also announced that the Rum Cake was the best tasting cake and we could have that again. Not for a while I said, just too good and we'll get it for special occasions. Your birthday is coming up in March Gregg, I already know what you're getting for your gift. I'm giving your wash-day hands a rest and buying you a dishwasher. Yes I'm joking again, sort of.

After dinner we went into the family room to watch a night of TV and apparently I fell asleep in the middle of one of Gregg's stories. To tell you the truth I don't remember the beginning of Gregg's story. That was around six-thirty and I didn't wake up until well after ten. With that lovely long nap I stayed awake until five o'clock in the morning. Moral of this story is when girl has two glasses of wine for lunch and one Newcastle Ale for dinner, girl can fall asleep faster than she can say 'zzzzzzzzzz', so be prepared for a trip to slumber-land soon after your evening meal. I won't be doing that again for a while. I missed a couple of our favorite shows that we enjoy watching together, and also a slice of that Rum Cake with Hard Sauce that Gregg helped himself to while I was 'away'. That probably was just as well as the Rum Cake may have necessitated the poor camel walking by with the last straw riding on its back.

Thursday I had a lovely chat with my brother-in-law in Germany and wished him a Happy Birthday. It's been a while since we last talked on Skype, though we have e-mailed on occasion. With the six hour time difference it can be a challenge to get in touch due to various happenings in our daily lives, but I was happy that we could catch up.

I took my Christmas decorations down - so sad about that as I truly enjoyed everything looking so festive this year.

My bears have gone back to their bear spaces around the house. These are a few of them here, which includes 59 year old Teddy below with not much hair left and one eye, much loved over his life and mine and still is, as mentioned in previous posts.

I have a small collection of 'bobbies', which includes this bobbie bear and the real bobbie helmet I bought years ago that was on sale in a catalog. They were advertising them and saying that the Manchester Police were getting rid of their tall helmets and going to the flat hat. I have always wondered if that was true or if it was a very good marketing story. Whichever it is I love that bobbie helmet. I don't ever remember my Dad wearing one in his police career but I keep it as a reminder of him, not that I need many reminders. I also have a police whistle and a couple of figurines.


This is an excerpt from the hummingbird movie I showed the girls. A great movie and one I will enjoy watching over and over again. I found this one on YouTube. Click on the movie and it will take you to the full-sized version. When I embed them here unfortunately you can only see half of it. Much more enjoyable to see the whole screen!


On Saturday we had a dusting of snow in the morning but that was about it. Apart from running a few errands we spent the day at home as we did on Sunday. It was a quiet weekend but oh so enjoyable and it seemed to go very quickly.

15 comments:

Roy said...

Great to have a new TV Denise, but I warn you things come in threes normally. We had to have a new TV, a new washing machine and a new freezer, all in the space of a couple of months, because all the old ones packed up. Anyway you can sit and watch the TV and Gregg can do the dishwashing!!

KaHolly said...

I like washing dishes, too. That could be because I don't like to cook. It's how I 'contribute' to the meal process!! The hummer movie looks good. I just watched one about butterflies and moths and it was fascinating. What a wonderful afternoon you planned for your friends. ~karen

Valerie said...

A toss up between a TV and a dishwasher would be very difficult in my house... hubs would go for the TV and I would go for the dishwasher since I rarely watch TV. Heehee, see what I mean?

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

We purchased a 32-inch TV in 2005. It's a big, monstrous thing. The two of us can barely move it. We've placed the TV in two spots in the living room. It is staying in the second spot until it dies!

I grew up washing dishes. Mom didn't have a dishwasher. She left this earth never having a dishwasher. I'm glad that I have a dishwasher. If I ever have to wash dishes by hand, though, I can thank Mom. She taught me well.

i beati said...

I may never take mine down they are still very much alive and I am enjoying them a lot-- I feel so festive always when I come home- Hope the Christmas police do not mind,,finally figured out at least inpart some of the problems with camera- and now hard to upload to blogger but I persevere.

Out on the prairie said...

My mother didn't get a dishwasher until all six of us left the nest.I haven't had one for years, but sometimes wish I did when cooking up a storm.I bought a small flat screen for my bedroom and was surprised how light they are. I don't watch much , but would like the large screen for a movie.I have a home theater still in the box for two years.

Margaret Cloud said...

I am glad you are enjoying your new TV. I am sure a new dish washer is in your future. That was a lot of food and it sounded so yummy. Thank you for that wonderful video and thank you for coming by.

gigihawaii said...

What a fun post to read on a Monday morning! Thanks, Denise.

I'm glad Gregg enjoys doing the dishes, as mine won't have anything to do with them. Yep, I cook AND wash -- while he watches TV. LOL.

Cloudia said...

I love visiting your cozy world!




Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

Mama Zen said...

I love all of your bears!

imac said...

Hope your tv is working well.
Beautiful pics too.

Gill - That British Woman said...

although we have a dishwasher we never use it.

Love your Monday morning rambles.

Gill

MarieElizabeth said...

Yum, I'm coming to your house for lunch! I'm not sure I have that much food in my house now, let alone one meal. :)

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, Congrats on the new TV... We have a small flat-screen in our computer room now --and the picture (now that we have High Definition) is FABULOUS.

I don't use the dishwasher much myself. George cooks the entree for dinner and I keep the dishes washed as we go... I don't mind washing dishes --UNLESS there is a big group... Then--I'll use plastic or paper.. ha ha

Hope you get your Dishwasher for Gregg's birthday.. Sounds like a plan!!!!! ha

Your dinner/lunch with your friends sounded wonderful--even if you forgot some of it. There obviously was plenty for everyone.

Glad the birds showed off for your guests.... Oh--how I love my birds too.

Hugs,
Betsy

jabblog said...

Your lunch sounds splendid and it's reassuring to learn that I'm not alone in forgetting things we were meant to eat at a particular time ;-)
The hummingbirds clip is wonderful - I'd love to be able to see the complete film.