Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Rambles from A Squirrel's Point of View

Hi, my name is Sammy and I live in one of the trees in the back garden of this lady who is always pointing her little black box at me. Between you, me and the lamppost, I think she is a little 'squirrelly' for squirrels. She stares at me through the window of her patio door, always with a big smile on her face. Sometimes her mister joins her, he smiles at me too. She's a little bit scary, just a little bit, even though I hear her tell me that I ought to be used to her by now, that I shouldn't run back up to the tree every time she opens the door to throw peanuts out and give us fresh water, that she is a friend to all of us and would never think of doing us harm. I am trying to telepathically relate the fact that it isn't good for wild animals - like me - to get too used to humans and I think she understands, but it doesn't stop her from trying.

In the meantime we're all putting on weight around here. Mrs. Squirrel is complaining that she has to do extra aerobics in the tree tops and she's having trouble jumping from one branch to another without them snapping in two, but I keep telling her that we need to be a little on the weightier side to be able to stay warm against the winter cold, that this will all stop and she will be able to get her girlish figure back when the raccoons start raiding the bird feeders when the warmer weather comes. That's the funny lady's signal to stop filling the bird feeders and letting her mister eat the peanuts instead of us, as this tells her that food will be plentiful in the natural world and she won't have to worry if we are getting enough food.

After the last snow it got real windy around here and our homes suffered because of it. We have all been carrying old leaves and twigs to make our houses strong again. We've also been tearing up tufts of grass, stuffing our mouths as much as we can to carry up to our nest because that really makes for great insulation. We repeated this several times and I saw that strange lady observing us. I think she is getting to know our habits pretty well, enough to write a book. I tell her that having a home takes a lot of work. There's always something to be done to keep it altogether. "Tell me about it!" says the strange lady. She's just told me to make sure our home is padded and anchored well, that she just heard there is a possible east coast storm heading our way in a couple of days. We've been lucky so far and the snow hasn't been that deep, but we wonder how bad it's going to be every time.

Uh oh, the door has opened again and she's trying to hit me with a shower of peanuts. I'm out of here! I'll be back down again in a few minutes, when I know she's safely behind that glass. She will be enjoying a cup of tea and reading one of her books. That won't stop me from keeping one eye on her, just like she will be keeping one eye on me with that goofy smile on her face. What a squirrelly woman but I don't think she's all that bad. She says she's friend to all animals and we will always be welcome here. Other people may think we are rats in fur coats but she says she thinks we're beautiful. Pssst......she thinks rats are beautiful too. This woman loves ALL things in nature. She really is squirrelly isn't she?

20 comments:

  1. I loved Sammy's comments on your blog! He sure is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sammy, it's good to hear a squirrel's point of view for a change. You are an excellent writer.

    BTW, if you think this lady is squirrely about squirrels......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your story Sammy and that picture of you sitting in the snow. I hope you didn't drop peanut shells into that ladies keyboard, while you typed your story. You are so lucky to be loved by the squirrely woman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they're so much fun to watch, too. You're such a wonderful friend to them, Denise. I'm sure they're needing your help this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story. Who is this scary Woman.??{:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was wonderful. When does the book come out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your squirrels really are well covered, aren't they? They'll certainly need the extra layers if it's going to get very cold again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got to love them, except I draw the line at rats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading from a squirrel's point of view. Hi Sammy; nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fun read and goodshots. I forgot to just throw them peanuts, and a little booger bit me taking them from my hand. I use corn also, but they prefer to raid my sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Sammy, what a wise squirrel you are. You are lucky to have a lady who cares about you and your wife, but you are a clever chap to be wary of people. Would you believe that some people do not like animals and may harm them!
    Stay warm and well fed.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your squirrel pictures are damn good :) And an interesting story too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I agree that you must be VERY squirrely, Denise. Wonderfully entertaining story and beautifully illustrated. A x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The guest blogger was very entertaining. Cute photos, too. I especially liked that last pic with the crescent tail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sammy you are cute,
    greetings from little Joyi-Jan,
    I am a puppy living in Holland

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pics and story my friend, real arty work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny! Love the story from the squirrel's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are funny Denise......I have actually noticed the squirrels out and about a bit more despite the fact it's been in the minus 30's oC up here.

    Great fun post,

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  19. pretty shot! I like the blur that gives justice to the squirrel's intricacies :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. these little friends are just adorable! great photos!

    ReplyDelete