Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Morning Ramble

You never know what you are going to find on a trip into Washington DC. Last Friday Gregg and I went into the city to see a Norman Rockwell exhibit at one of the Smithsonian art museums. This one wasn't on the Mall like many of them are, but a few blocks further into town. Crossing one of the streets I just happened to look up and I found a hawk sitting high up in a tree. What a surprise and he took my mind off my bruised knees. My toe had caught the top of one of the steps coming out of another museum and down I went. Gregg wanted to go get the car and take me home, but it wasn't that bad really, I hadn't twisted an ankle like before, and I certainly wasn't going to come all this way and miss this amazing exhibit. It was coming to an end and this was the last time we would have been able to see it.

I'm glad I didn't agree to cut our trip short because we would have missed this beautiful sight. And no, I wasn't taking photos and not paying attention to where my feet were taking me. It was just one of those things where you think you pick your feet up high enough and you don't. More of that when I post more pictures of DC. Actually, I think I have mentioned before that Washington DC and I have a history of such things, just ask Gregg. From then on he was paying extra special attention - again - warning me of all obstacles as we made our way to the exhibit. "Watch that step!" - "This pavement is uneven." - "That looks icy over there, hold onto me." Yes, I have a history in Washington DC, and I love it, we both do. We started married life here and rode all over the city on our bikes, and I didn't fall off mine once, go figure! Of course, that was 35 years ago. Then and now, I will always be thankful to Gregg for being such a considerate husband. I also think I may need to get my eye-prescription updated.

I found it interesting that while we stood looking up at this beautiful hawk, several flocks of pigeons flew in formation overhead, but they didn't seem to interest him at all. We stayed for quite a while with the noise of the traffic around us, took several photos and then moved on.

Always a gift to see something as beautiful as this.


25 comments:

diane b said...

Surely it is a good sign that the environment in WashingtonDC is quite good if the eagle is happy to be in town. Great shots and I have a giggle at the thought of you stopping, whipping out the camera and pointing it into a tree in the middle of a city. Go you blogger you! We have returned from our trip to Victoria and the wedding.

Kay said...

Tripping like that is something I do all the time. I do have to be very careful. I hope you didn't have any aches and pains later. I wonder if that's a Cooper's Hawk. Really fabulous photos, Denise.

jabblog said...

What a fortuitous sight of a beautiful bird. I hope your knees are not suffering too much.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Sorry about our knee. Sweetie tumbled down some stairs at an art museum in San Diego last August.

Beautiful photos of the hawk.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I keep seeing hawks but never have my camera with me! Great pictures of the hawk! I'm sorry that you tripped and bruised your knee. I have a tendency to trip too!

Gunn said...

Looks like you have had a very nice Christmas.
I also want to say that a quilt like that looks very pretty ansd also lots of work.

- Happy New Year-!!:)

From Gunn

www.stavangerdailyphoto.com

Jane and Chris said...

Amazing what you can see if you look up.
Jane x

Out on the prairie said...

I'm with Kay thinking Coopers hawk but it is hard to see the tail tip.They are busy sizing up other birds and don't often flee as quick when sighted by a lens.The Smitsonian sounds exciting always to me. I just remembered my Rockwell book got left at school about 15 years ago and I never retrieved it , the teacher used it a lot for stories.I wonder if she is still around.LOL

gigihawaii said...

Sorry that you fell and hurt yourself, but glad you stayed and took those interesting photos. Take care, Denise!

Lucy (aka RHarper) said...

Aren't they just gorgeous birds? We see them a lot here in Arizona, but not usually within civilization. However, I was in Scottsdale the other morning and happened to look up and there was a big one on the telephone pole. Just watching over his domain. I love nature.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Oh Denise, I'm sorry that you fell--but glad you went on to the exhibit...

Great pictures of the hawk.... I posted one here recently --but the crows do a good job here of screeching and warning the other birds that a hawk is nearby...

Hugs,
Betsy

Reader Wil said...

You were so fortunate to see this beautiful hawk, and even take so many photos of him. I wish you a great new year!

Carver said...

I'm sorry about your injury and hope it's completely healed soon. I love the shots of the hawk and your New Year's post below this one is wonderful. Happy New Year !

Linda Reeder said...

I'm glad your trip wasn't spoiled by your "trip". That's a beautiful bird!

Mo said...

The pictures were worth the trip. (both of them)

Jack and Joann said...

Great shots of the eagle. You have become the Abe Lincoln of D.C. Just want to thank you for stopping by today and to say I left a comment for you and Kathy about THE MISTRESS OF ABHA on my blog. Stay warm!

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Denise, I'm always enchanted by your lovely critters, your amazing posts!
I hope you are feeling better today and I wish you a blessed 2011!
Thanks so much for your friendship!
hugs
Léia

Gill - That British Woman said...

that is interesting to see a "wild" bird like that in the middle of a city. Great shots...

Gill

matron said...

I think these photos are wonderful.we do not see birds of prey very often so it was lovely looking at these pictures.
Hope your knees are better now,I am always tripping over kerbs and steps,my husband is like yours,pointing out all the hazards actually it makes me more nervous.!!
Wishing you a Happy and peaceful New Year.
Carolyn.

Patty said...

My goodness, be careful. I know what you mean, I have seen the pavement and floor coming at me quite a few times.

Feel really stupid when it happens, so far nothing serious EXCEPT when I took that fall at school (working, I ran the mail from our building up to the main building so it would go out in the mail pick up)carrying a box, and several letters, did not see the carpet at the doorway was humped up a little, I made a left turn to go down the hallway to where the mail is dropped off, the toe of my shoe caught in the rug, and down I went, I realized I was falling towards a steel corner, and I jerked my head just as I hit, which meant it hit the top of my shoulder and not my head. I was laying face down, several people came running up and I told them the pain in my neck and upper back was really bad. So they called the EMT squad and one of the men on the squad also taught classes for our Adult Education. He came in, and got down on his knees to look me in the face and said to me, I've never seen you from this position before, you're always sitting behind a desk. So they boarded me up and flipped me over and that's when I realize the pain in my right shoulder and arm. Also the box had gone flying down the hallway and one of the letters was between my knees when they flipped me over. Thank goodness, I always wore slacks to work. LOL
I fractured the shoulder in two places.

But I have fallen quite a few times. Guess I'm just klutzy.

Today the hawk that comes into our yard, was back. He's been gone for about a week or longer. I told Abe, I doubt that he was gone, we just didn't see him when he was here. I hate to see them capture a bird, they actually squeeze them to death and then tear them apart. I know it's Mother natures way of the animals to feed, but I still hate to see it. I did try putting out some fresh chicken on a stick, but that didn't interest him at all.

Have to run. Also love the header photo of the house in the snow.

dAwN said...

HOWDEE..Great that you saw this beautiful bird! Great photos..I love your header of your home in a snowstorm.

Indrani said...

Sorry about your fall, but awesome pics you got.
Have a great year ahead!

Margaret Cloud said...

That sure is a beautiful Hawk. Hope your knee is a lot better. I fell just like that last summer, didn't pick my foot up high enough.

Janie said...

You were very observant to find the hawk in the middle of a city. Great photos of him!
Just be careful of those steps next time...

Michael and Hanne said...

Almost certainly an immature Cooper's Hawk, (sexes the same). A beautiful photo of a beautiful bird! Thanks for sharing! Cheers from Penticton!