Saturday, January 8, 2011

McDonald's Diners of DC

This McDonald's is bigger than most kiosks with only outside tables, next to the Air and Space Museum on the Mall. It was a bit too cold and did I imagine those brave people shivering, or were their Big Mac's helping to keep them warm? There were several other 'diners' waiting for scraps of food to be dropped on the ground.
Always trying to stay on the straight and narrow, I stay out of these places as much as I can, especially since I read a quote on line that reinforces my resolve. The author of it is unknown to me. It reads.....

"The journey of a thousand pounds begins with a single hamburger."

I hope they are listening.
Later on as we crossed The Mall we saw a squirrel sitting on one of the tree branches. Mr. Squirrel climbed down and came very close, stopping within a couple of feet. He stared up at us and waited expectantly. I had no peanuts in my pockets and no burger buns to drop on the ground. I don't know why I should be so surprised. I think they are very used to humans around here, and had the feeling that if I had tried to feed him, he would have taken it out of my hand. I love these little guys but I wouldn't try doing that. Maybe a little dramatic of me but I envisioned trips to the doctors for rabies shots - no thank you very much, not in this lifetime Nelly-Bell (see added note below.) I did, however, point the sweet little thing in the direction of McDonald's, at the same time quoting, "The journey of a thousand pounds......"

Nothing to do with fast food. I found this video on YouTube and decided to include it with this post. Click on the video to take you to their site. You will be able to see it full view and get rid of the advertisement by x'ing out.


Added note: after making my comment about my concerns with squirrels carrying rabies, I decided to investigate further and found an article on line which says:

"Rabies and Squirrels

Squirrels are almost never found to have rabies. And squirrels have not been known to cause rabies in humans within the United States. Bites from a squirrel are not normally considered a risk for rabies. Most small rodents and lagomorphs rarely develop rabies; however, woodchucks accounted for 86 percent of rabies cases among rodents reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from 1985 through 1994.

I found that article here.

And if you are anything like me and had to look up what the word "Lagomorph" meant, here it is:

Lagomorph: a member of the mammalian taxonomic order, Lagamorpha, which includes hares, rabbits and pikas. Relative large gnawing animals, distinguished from rodents by having two pairs of upper incisors specialized for gnawing. There are two families, the Leporidai (hares and rabbits), and the Ochotonidae (pikas). The name of the order is derived from the Greek 'lagos' (hare) and "morphē" (form).


13 comments:

  1. When I lived on Cape Cod you would see more birds at McDonald's and Burger King than you would at the beach!
    ☼ Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I love your creative header photos - one more interesting than the next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That video clip was fun to see. I wonder what kind of birds they were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a McDonalds that small. I don't patronise McDonalds and neither should the birds. That sort of food isn't good for them.
    I learn something every day, didn't realise rabies was carried by squirrels ... Ooooer, we have three regulars in our garden.
    Unfortunately I couldn't open the video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are everywhere aren't they? The big M I mean. Well done for avoiding the temptation. Great quote. The birds are not having a healthy diet. Hope thats not what is causing them all to die. Baby birds are so demanding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a squirrel who eats from my hand, corn or peanuts ,not a Mac.I have a hard time staying away from that, and my beltline shows it.My dog likes the King better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birds are such opportunists! Who can blame them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw quite a few squirrels in the Panhandle in San Francisco. Cute little things!

    I prefer Jack n the Box to McDonald's any day! My fave is spicy chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An open-air McDonald's ... that's a first. Interesting information about woodchucks and rabies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Αlways sensitive with the animals!!! That shows what kind of person you are...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a fun video, I love watching birds feed their young. That McDonald' s reminded me of our first one here in town, you had to go up to the window to order, but it had no over hang, so if it rained you got wet or just waited. I can remember seeing flies around the inside flying over the food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah I know right? Thanks for your clever reminder. By the way, if you like something new and exciting to the taste, try some of the best dishes from different restaurants just near you. Thanks and happy eating!

    ReplyDelete