Monday, January 24, 2011

Garlic Ginger Chicken, Sesame Green Beans and Carrot-Ginger Rice

I found this meal over at For The Love Of Cooking and fixed it this evening. You can see the original recipes here, here and here.

Garlic-Ginger Chicken

2 teaspoons olive oil
5 boneless and skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any fat
1/4 cup red onion, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (I used 2 oranges)
Zest of 1 orange
Freshly cracked pepper to taste

Combine the chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, orange juice and orange zest in a large Ziploc bag. Place in refrigerator for 1-24 hours.

Heat a grill pan over medium high heat with the olive oil. Once the pan is hot add chicken thighs. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through. Set on a platter, let the meat rest for five minutes before serving. Enjoy.


Sesame Green Beans

1 lb. green beans, ends trimmed
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2-3 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Sea salt and and freshly cracked pepper to taste

Bring a pot of water to the boil over a high heat. Add the green beans and cook 4-5 minutes or until just tender. Drain the water.

While the beans are cooking combine the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds together and mix until well combined. Add the mixture to the cooked and drained green beans, and toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste and serve immediately.


Carrot-Ginger Rice

1 cup of Basmati rice
2 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Dash cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine the rice and chicken broth together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low. Cover with a lid and steam for 20 minutes. Remove lid and let sit for five minutes before fluffing with a fork.

While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for five minutes, stirring often, until tender. Add the carrot, ginger and garlic to the onions. Cook, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes. Add the rice to the mixture along with the cilantro, sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper and dash of cayenne pepper. Stir gently so that all the ingredients are combined. Serve immediately.


Added note: I had to cook the chicken a little longer because the first time I checked it was still pink inside. When I first marinated the chicken I had forgotten the fresh ginger on my last trip to the store, and used a teaspoon of ginger powder that I already had. The next day I picked up fresh ginger for the rice dish. I thought the rice was just about the best one I had ever tasted, and I also enjoyed the green beans. I usually use low-sodium soy sauce.

I marinated the chicken the day before, and the day I served up the meal I measured out all my ingredients and prepared the vegetables several hours earlier, covering everything and refrigerating what I needed to. Things go quickly and more smoothly when fixing this meal with everything all laid out beforehand.

Gregg thought the chicken thighs were great and has asked me to serve these up any time I want to. We both gave this meal a big thumb's up and will be serving it again. We had enough rice left over for another meal and are having it with tomorrow's dinner. There is coconut shrimp in the freezer and I will probably toss a green salad together.

15 comments:

David L Macaulay said...

love these traditional English recipes; this one sounds well worth trying.

Sharon said...

That really looks and sounds good! Totally do-able for me (maybe a little less soy sauce).

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This sounds really good, and we have chicken breasts for tomorrow....need to try it out. thanks Denise.

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Sounds DELICIOUS! I'm totally trying this one! Thanks!

Kay said...

Mmmmmmm.... this looks fabulous, Denise! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow Denise, you are so talented, this Garlic Ginger Chicken looks delicious!
Léia ;)

Marina said...

Yummy...yummy!!!

Gill - That British Woman said...

that looks really good Denise, even the green beans look tasty and I am not a fan of green beans!!!

Gill

Carolina Mountains said...

Sounds good - will have to try a vegetarian version or with fish perhaps.

gigihawaii said...

Looks delicious. I wonder what would happen if I covered the chicken in a dish and baked it...

Out on the prairie said...

Those beans are a favorite of mine, i always thought they were stir fried.

Lyndsey said...

It sounds wonderful, you got some nice flavors going on there!

imac said...

Sounds tasty.

WhatKarenSees said...

Oh this looks and sounds soooo good. It's on my list to try! Thanks for sharing your talent with us. I wish you were in my kitchen!!!

Margaret Cloud said...

This made me hungry, yummy. I will have to give it a try.