Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Birds and Snow

I got up early this morning. It is 4.45 a.m. and there is a fine blanket of snow everywhere. Thankfully it seems to have stopped. From what I have heard on the weather reports it isn't going to be more than an inch deep around here.
Yesterday I was more interested in how icy it was going to get as when I went to collect the mail at around 6.30 p.m., it was sleeting and everything was covered in ice, especially our driveway which is on a hill and can be very treacherous in bad weather. I thought it prudent to go down to the mailbox at a 45 degree angle on the grass, and even that had a fine sheet of ice on it but it was better than the alternative. I got back up without too much difficulty and only felt myself sliding a couple of times. My derrière and my driveway has had much contact over the years but I think I am finally learning, and after our trip into DC I didn't want to tell Gregg I had fallen again.

An hour later it had started to snow and was still snowing when I went to bed at 11.00 p.m. This morning all is quiet. I will be filling up the bird feeders first thing and throwing out the peanuts. In the top photos we start off with an American Robin and a Carolina Wren. Below is a Dark-Eyed Junco.

The photos of all feathered friends were taken during the last dusting of snow a couple of weeks ago. Below is a male Cardinal. I love his bright red coloring against the white of the snow.

The Blue Jay was taken the following day when the snow had stopped and the sun was out. It is always a race between the Blue Jays and the Squirrels to get hold of the peanuts.

The Blue Jays always get their fair share.

Last photo is that of a female Cardinal. Her mate turned up a little while later.


32 comments:

  1. You got some great shots Denise. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were up very early! Lovely captures of the birds though - the red cardinal is such a bright colour, lending cheer to cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know...I'm always worried about these little birds outside with all snow!
    Your pictures are great Denise, very well done!
    Stay warm,
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots. Be careful on the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am glad you are offering up a buffet for our fine feathered friends. Hope suet and fresh water are included in that menu! Esp. the suet. It will help them to stay warm. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad you feed and water so important..I remember all the oinecones I covered in peanut butter and rolled in nuts andhung from a beautiful blue spruce. I feed a lot here too but does not last long with huge sandhill cranes haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your winter bird photos are so nice! We're enjoying snow bird here too Denise! Say off that derriere, and that's an order!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto all the fine comments above! I love the pics of the birds, especially the one of the cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bird photos!
    Don't blue jays have cheeky faces!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shots today, I chase jays the most. Guess I should have stayed out after putting peanuts out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Morning Denise, What were you doing up so early???? We slept til 8:00 this morning.. Lazy us!!!!

    We have lots of snow here also--and it's so dangerous. Glad we don't have to get out--even though our banana supply is GONE.

    Have a good day and please do not FALL.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. snowing here, too.
    You took some absolutely gorgeous photographs!! thoroughly enjoying them!
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really great shots - such lovely colors. I took a bunch of photos of the birds outside my office eating all the berries. I hope to see something lovely when I get to upload them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have really captured these beautiful birds under this snow weather magnifico my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful shots of the birds in the snow. Looks like we have many of the same visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really wanted some daytime snow to take a walk in, but alas, ours came at night and the rain got to it by morning. I love your bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful captures of your birds, Denise. I love the wing shot of the jay. We had a little more snow around 4 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  18. BEAUTIFUL PICCIES I love the blue jay XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  19. great shots, Denise!


    Ghappy 2011 and thanks, again,. for your have sent the font

    Grace Olsson
    graceolsson.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great bird pictures, I really am drooling about a new camera!

    Welcome to my blog - I don't get great pictures, but you can kind of tell what I am talking about, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We had all of these birds today on our patio EXCEPT the Robin. Yes the Blue Jays eat more than their fair share. I like the way the Cardinals seem to come up in pairs, I believe yesterday we had four separate couples at one time out back. The Crows sneak in once in a while, but so far haven't stayed long. They are one big bird. I love to hear their calling sound they make. We got more snow last evening. I'm hoping it's about over.

    ReplyDelete
  22. those are beautiful shots Denise, so much detail in them,

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isn't it funny how some winters you will see at least one Robin. These are great pictures of the birds. I make sure we shovel and feed these little buggers. One winter a few years ago, we were at McDonald's, we spotted this Robin. My granddaughter threw a french fry out and I was surprised to see the Robin come and carry it off, must of been very hungry. Thank you for coming by, have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful shots of the birds! Glad you did not slip on the ice. I, too, have made contact with the pavement too many times in my past! Ouch! Thankfully it is relatively flat where I live right now but slipping on ice is always possible!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are beautiful bird photos Denise! Stay warm out there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hope your week-end is going great. Still rather cold here, it's 25 at almost 8pm and believe it or not, I'm getting sleepy all ready. May have to go to bed early.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like your bird pictures. Haven't seen those kinds of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely beautiful... Loved all the pics, especially the 4th one!!
    Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Those are incredible photos, Denise... and so clear, especially the Blue Jay.

    Do please take care of yourself. I know what those falls can do.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gee those are pretty photos. And the header...awesome! I have to wonder if the cardinal knows just how beautiful he is. We don't get them here or I'd let him in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fantastic array of birds there - how wonderful to see all those close to home.

    ReplyDelete