Saturday, December 18, 2010

TODAY'S FLOWERS

Last Friday Gregg and I celebrated our 35th Wedding Anniversary, and I thought I would share the beautiful bouquet of flowers he gave me. We were married in my village church on one of the coldest days that England had seen in a hundred years or so, according to what I remember the news reporting but my memory doesn't know whether this was an actual fact or whether I dreamed it. I do know that as we said our vows we could actually see our breath. The church was built in the year 1100 and had one tiny electric heater that had been brought in to try and warm everyone who attended our wedding.

A few years ago I bought this Christmas ornament because it reminded me of that church. Below you will see an actual photo - all the following pictures I found on line here. If you want to see more of the area where I lived when I met Gregg you can go to the website and on a list on the left-hand side, as your arrow goes on each title, a drop box of photos appears and if you click on each photo, it will show you a different scene of where I used to spend many a happy time.

All photos were taken by Ray Bond, who has generously given me permission to use them on my blog. Thanks Mr. Bond and thank you Chris Alcock for asking him and answering my letter.

Below shows the guest house that Gregg and his family stayed in for a few days leading up to our marriage. Mrs. Alcock told me it is now a private residence.

And this is where I actually lived with my family, in a small bungalow that is just out of sight of this photo. It would be on the left hand side.

In the photo below the road is called Vicarage Hill. At the top of the road was the Vicarage, in which lived the Vicar who married us. I've also just learned that this is now a private residence. At the bottom of the road on the right were two small shops we used to frequent, now closed. The road just passed the shops - also on the right - took you into my road.

If you missed the story of how Gregg and I met and would be interested in reading it, you can click here and here. I hope you will forgive me if I go a little off track from the usual photos I share on Today's Flowers. I will be back to normal next week.


TODAY’S FLOWER’S was created by our good friend Luiz Santilli Jr.

You can find beautiful and unusual flowers from all over the world by clicking here.

30 comments:

gigihawaii said...

35 yrs of marital bliss! Congratulations, Denise! David and I have been married for 30 yrs.

The roses are lovely and so are the photos. Love the ornament.

Tiggeriffic said...

35 years you have been married..How wonderful~!
I love the church you were married in and the other places you have pictures. In my mind I have pictured a lovely young couple freezing on the outside but warm on the inside with so much love for each other. I'll bet your day has lots of memories..I love it~!
Dave and I will be married 50 years in Feb..11...2011..Doesn't seem possible..

MarieElizabeth said...

Congratulations on 35 years!

Sunny said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. Your roses are gorgeous :)
☼ Sunny

Hartwood Roses said...

Let me add my congratulations to the pile ... 35 years together is wonderful!! Your bouquet is lovely.

I thoroughly enjoyed the tour of your village. It's beyond my comprehension to process a church that dates from the 12th Century. Thanks for showing us around.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Congratulations on your 35th! Great bouquet. I liked seeing the pictures of the church you were married in and the surrounding area.

KaHolly said...

My hearty congratulations! What a lovely little village. Thanks for the tour.

Out on the prairie said...

Congratulations, and a lovely story as well.

lina@women's perspectives said...

Belated happy wedding anniversary, Denise...
The bouquet of flowers from your husband is so lovely!
Our marriage is still eight years old :)

eileeninmd said...

Happy Anniversary, Denise. Your bouquet of flowers is beautiful. A great post and I loved your photos.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Happy anniversary to you and Gregg. The church Christmas ornament is very reminiscent of the church in which you married, especially the tower!

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots. Very pretty red roses.

Lui said...

35 years and more happy years to come, Denise! I love your old town and such precious memories. They are as beautiful as the flowers he gave you! How special it must be to get married near Christmas!

Roy said...

Many congratulations Denise to you and Gregg.

With reference to how cold it was then, I would think it was just as bad if not worse there at the moment.{:)

SquirrelQueen said...

Wishing you and Gregg a very Happy 35th Anniversary.

The flowers and photos of church and surrounding countryside are beautiful.

msdewberry said...

The roses are beautiful!
Happy Anniversary to you and Gregg!

Titania said...

Hi Denise, the roses are beautiful. Congratulations on your anniversary.I like the way back to your home town. All my best wishes for ever. T.

Marina said...

Happy Anniversary to the wonderful couple!!!! How do you feel after 35 years? I'm sure it's like the first day...England is freezing so you can pretend that it's just two days ago you got married!...LOL...

Linda Reeder said...

Congratulations on your 35th anniversary!
I have seen some of those little old village churches. They are beautiful, but not so comfortable in freezing weather! Looks like the warmth in your hearts made up for the cold start to your marriage!

Míriam Luiza said...

É com certeza uma linda história de amor! 35 anos não são 35 dias! É muita gentileza sua dividir conosco este momento tão singular em sua vida! O buquê de rosas vermelhos é lindo! Obrigada por compartilhar conosco este momento tão lindo! Amei suas fotos e seu carinho! Abraços!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Congrats on this huge milestone. 35 years is just awesome. Loved the photos of your church and village and the roses were just gorgeous.

Margaret Cloud said...

God bless you two, who says love does not last. The flowers are so pretty.

Luna Miranda said...

wow, 35 years--that is awesome! the bouquet is so beautiful. i enjoy the photos and the story.

Pat'sAdditon said...

Denise and Greg ... what a wonderful story. (I went back to read it all.) The ornament is a good match for the real McCoy and I'm sure every year when you hang it on the tree the memories of your wedding rush through your heart.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Congratulations on your 35th anniversary Denise and Gregg. The roses are simply beautiful and I enjoyed looking at the other photographs of your home village as well. A x

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow, 35 years! You inspire me! Congratulations, and Happy Holidays!!

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow it's so romantic!
Congratulations to you and Gregg, lots of love in your lives!
Leía

Jane and Chris said...

WOW! Many congratulations on your 35th. One thing I miss about Britain is the old buildings.
Jane x

Midwest to Midlands said...

Congratulations on you anniversary! You were married in a beautiful area of the country. It is cold here this winter too, as you may have heard! Wishing you a great Christmas too!

imac said...

Beautiful part of the country,Devon.