Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hamish Goes For A Ride

I have shared photos of Hamish before. He is a darling little chap and his family is Kathy and Chuck. Kathy and Chuck are dear friends of ours and we all went to Baltimore on Sunday, staying overnight and coming back Monday. There was a small group of us which also included other dear friends, Anne and Carol. We all met when we worked together at the British shop and have known each other for several years now, though none of us work there any more but we formed wonderful friendships and have stayed in touch ever since.

Baltimore is about an hour-and-a-half drive from our home. Hamish stayed with Kathy's son and his wife, and their two children - who live in Baltimore. After he was safely in their care we drove on to the hotel. He is a great little traveler and stayed quietly in our van while we all took turns giving him a bit of a fuss. It wasn't long before he settled down for a nap.

To coin a corny old phrase, Hamish lights up my soul. In fact, his sweet nature makes us all smile and he has plenty of fans amongst us. Aunty Anne always takes care of him when Kathy and Chuck go on trips, but as she was coming along with us on this one, they asked their son and family this time as they also live in Baltimore . Hamish had a wonderful time with them, and had company as there is another furry friend to play with, a pretty cat that I forgot the name of, but I will ask Kathy and share it later. I will also be sharing more of our trip to Baltimore in the next few days. What a fun time we all had.


The following has been around for quite a while and you may have read it before, but I think it is always worth reading again.

This is for you Hamish.

What I Learned from My Dog

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in my face to be pure ecstasy.

When loved ones come home, I will always run to greet them.

Let others know when they have invaded my territory.

Take naps and stretch before rising.

Run, romp and play daily.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something I am not.

If what I want lies buried, I will dig until I find it.

When someone is having a bad day, I will be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle gently.

Thrive on attention, and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

No matter how often one is scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout - run back and make friends.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

~Author Unknown~

18 comments:

MarieElizabeth said...

Good idea for all of us!

knk said...

cute dog

jabblog said...

Hamish is a sweet dog, to be sure.

Jane and Chris said...

WOW! Dogs as role models...I think I can do that!!
Jane x

Out on the prairie said...

A cute little dog. Mine have stayed in the finest hotels.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Hamish is certainly a cute little dog. Have you and Gregg thought about getting a dog at your house?

WhatKarenSees said...

What a great post, and he is so adorable. I think we all could learn alot from our dogs!

imac said...

What a wonderful post, and he's certainly a cutie.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Sounds like Miss Denise needs a Hamish of her very own!!!!!! What a Cutie Pie.
Hugs,
Betsy

Gill - That British Woman said...

he is a lovely little fella.....

Gill

diane said...

He is a cutie. I love dogs more than cats so I enjoyed the last part of your post. I can hear that you had an enjoyable time with your old friends. Friends are diamonds in our lives.

Scott said...

Darling shots of a cute dog and I loved your dog lessons. I should print that and hang it on my wall.

gigihawaii said...

What an adorable dog! So cute, Denise! I am glad you had a nice trip to Baltimore. I went there once with my then-boyfriend to visit with his parents. He wanted me to cook Peking duck for them. It was great!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice, Hamish is quite the dog. Of our three dogs only one is a good traveler so he gets to go when the others don't.

Cezar and Léia said...

This post is so sweet!Hamish is CUTE!
hugs
Léia

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Brilliant!! Hamish is adorable, I can see why he effects you so! My dog Trixie has taught me more, I think, than my college education! I just LOVE this list, thanks so much for sharing it!!

Craver Vii said...

Little dogs can be good fun when they are good-natured.

Denise said...

Fun comments everyone, thank you for dropping by.