Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day

Whenever I see Veterans selling Poppies, it will always take me back to childhood. We were an average family living in the Midlands (England) and each year on a very special day, poppies would be sold in their thousands. My Mum would save them year after year, dusting them off and displaying them in a small container on the mantel. My parents taught me from an early age how important it was to remember our Veterans, and so here today I remember once again. I remember my Dad, a Royal Navy sailor during WWII and a 30 year career police officer, I remember my father-in-law and my husband who as father and son were career navy. I remember Uncle Orville who passed away only a few weeks ago, my own Uncles, all gone now but never forgotten. And I remember all Veterans around the world who serve and served their country when called. My post today is for you, because I remember what my parents taught me all those years ago, and my gratitude and love for you will be never-ending.

This is another poem I remember well from childhood, written by Lieutenant Colonel John Alexander McCrae, who was a Canadian, poet, physician, author, artist and soldier during the First World War.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, through poppies grow
in Flanders fields.


The story of this poem can be found if you click right here.

16 comments:

  1. I've always loved that poem.
    We must never forget the dead and the maimed from so many conflicts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really lovely post and a beautiful poem.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful Veteran's Day post.
    I too remember the poppies in England and my Mom always being sure to buy one. My Dad was in the RAF. In Flanders Field is one of my all time favorite poems.
    ☼ Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely tribute to those to whom we all owe so much. It is Armistice Day here today, which you remember Denise, and we all wear our Poppies with Pride. At 11 this morning the Country observed 2 minutes' silence to remember the fallen. A x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always buy poppies..I have a jar that I put them in year after year.. It's getting quite full..
    I love talking to the old men who fought in the war.. they are so interesting to visit with and they have such great stories to tell you. They are a generation almost gone...GOd Bless their souls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I remember poppies from when I was a kid but I haven't seen them in decades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This poignant poem brings tears to my eyes every time I read it. This is a lovely post, and a good reminder to remember our veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for visiting me. Have a great weekend everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen





    Aloha from Waikiki :)

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post for Veteran's/Remembrance day. The poem In Flanders Field is one I always find so moving. Beautiful field of poppies to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi There, Thanks be to God for all of those in the Armed Forces (past and present) who fought for our country and our freedom...

    God Bless them ALL.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my favorite all time poems, very beautiful and moving. It says it all about our heroes, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete