Monday, November 1, 2010

A Time of Loss

Last week we had some very very sad news. My father-in-law's oldest brother and Gregg's Uncle and Godfather passed away. He was very much loved by his family and friends and will be missed by all of us.

Over the years we have valued our time with Uncle because the distance was great and didn't allow for frequent visits. Recently, however, we felt very blessed when he and one of his daughters, along with other veterans from around the country, visited the World War II Memorial in Washington DC. We saw them only a couple of months' ago.

I will also always remember visiting the homestead back in 2004 when he showed us his hogs, more a hobby than anything else as I know how much he cared for them. I remember climbing into the pen and being surrounded by noisy, inquisitive pigs with Uncle looking on as us city kids enjoyed the company of those wonderful animals. These are two of my favorite photos of him, the one with my son as the two of them were walking along the path towards the pen.

We send much love to our family in North Dakota and to those who live in other States, which includes my dear father-in-law who was very close to his brother, our deepest sympathy for their loss. He will always be with us in these wonderful memories we have of him and forever in our hearts.

22 comments:

Jama said...

Deepest condolences to your family for their loss.May he rest in peace.

gigihawaii said...

My condolence to your father-in-law, Gregg, and you. Gregg's uncle sounded like a very nice person and a great human being. I am sure he will be missed.

Kay said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss, Denise. It's wonderful that you were all blessed with such a beautiful person that he was loved so much.

KaHolly said...

Denise, my thoughts are with you and all they family during this sad time. Your post is a lovely tribute. ~karen

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Dear Denise, I'm saddened to hear of your loved uncle's
passing.
Hold on to those precious memories, may he rest in peace, knowing he was loved.
Hugs,
Jo

Jacqui said...

Sos sorry to hear your news. We have had a bereavement too, with the loss of my mother last week, so your Uncle will have some good company on his way. xx

diane said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. He sounded a caring uncle. I'm glad that you have happy memories of him on his property and pictures to help keep him in your heart.

Viola said...

I'm so sorry to hear that.. It's a big loss when someone you love pass away..
You have made a nice post about him, with the pigs and your son. I love pigs- since I was a small girl. The photo with your son and his grand uncle is telling so much.... a good relationship..

Crystal Jigsaw said...

So very sorry to hear your sad news; a lovely tribute to an obviously well loved man.

CJ xx

fredamans said...

Sending condolences and (((HUGS)))

Tiggeriffic said...

I'm so glad that I taken lots of pictures over the years and still take them.. Memory photos are taken for times when a loved one passes away. I have decided it's time to get out ALL my photos and put names on the back of some of them..My children will not know that the lady in a photo was their great-grandma or their great aunt or for that matter Grandpas and uncles or cousins. When my mom passed away I found a box of unmarked photos ~ All these lovely people are my relatives from way back,, but I don't know how they are related.. So I put them all in a scrapebook and labled the book 'Unknown relatives from my Mom's side of the family.'
Sorry for your loss.. The pictures were great~!

Quilt Works said...

My condolences! Your post is full of love and sadness. It was very touching. He clearly will be missed by all.
Quiltworks

jabblog said...

This is a heartfelt tribute to a man who was clearly loved by all who knew him. It's good that your memories are happy ones and that you can smile through the tears. My condolences to you all.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Oh Denise, I am so very sorry to hear about the death of Gregg's uncle... Glad you were able to spend some time with him not long ago though...

May God be with the family --including you and Gregg.
Hugs,
Betsy

Craver Vii said...

My condolences to your family. That is a warm picture of your son and his granduncle walking together.

Roy said...

Sad news Denise.
Its good that you visited when you could.

Cloudia said...

Fond condolences

Indrani said...

Sad!
My condolences.

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Denise, so sorry for this difficult time and so sad news.I'm sending love to your heart and prayers to all!
Léia

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss, Denise. It was wonderful that you were able to visit with Uncle only a few months ago.

Karen said...

I too am sorry for your uncle's passing. How wonderful it is to have such lovely memories of the time you were able to spend with him.
Love, Karen

Gill - That British Woman said...

So sorry to hear about your family's loss.

Gill in Canada