Monday, November 22, 2010

My World Tuesday

I am a little late with my post for My World but better late than never I suppose. We are back at the San Diego Sea World last September. I had a lovely day walking around while Gregg was working. This was when he had go to San Diego on business and I tagged along. We had two long weekends together and wonderful evenings, and from the Tuesday to the Thursday I enjoyed entertaining myself during the day.

The one good thing we had this time was a GPS system. I'm late to the party for this but in preparation for finding my way around, Gregg bought me a phone for my birthday with the GPS system as one of its applications. I think he had an image of me not going too far away from the hotel because I have a thing about getting lost in areas I don't know. That's why he gave me this before we left for our trip. Maps? What are those? It beats pulling over every few miles trying to figure those out. Besides the fact that I had to get a large road atlas a few years ago with major large print! It had been 20 years and so much had changed with new freeways on top of everything else, but ever so slowly and thanks to the mechanical lady living in my telephone, I went far and wide and I began to recognize landmarks.

I was amazed that having this thing available, all that anxiety of ending up in the back of beyond left me. It was wonderful. Before I left the parking lot I just put in where I had to go and that lady with the mechanical voice didn't steer me wrong once. If I overshot a road I didn't even have to worry because she adjusted quickly and just kept me going until I got to my destination. I found myself answering her back after a while, "Yes I know, I know, I went past the exit. Where to now Madam?" Maybe I'll try geocaching next, what do you think?

Back in Gregg's Navy Days when we had just moved to San Diego, we had gotten most of the boxes unpacked and put away. Our son Brad who was ten at the time had not started school yet as it was still in the summer but the day rolled around when Gregg had to start his new job. It was decided to drop his Dad at the navy base and Brad and I would spend the day at Sea World. This was a new, exciting adventure for us as we had never been before. Brad and I had the greatest time ever and thought it was all pretty magical. We were both totally in awe of all the marine animals we were seeing, the Orca whales so big and beautiful, the dolphins. Everywhere you turned there was an amazing exhibit, and one of these included the penguins.

It was the first place I headed for, the Penguin Encounter which you can see more of here. You are transported along on a moving walkway where dozens and dozens of penguins are behind a thick glass. You can see them above and swimming below in the water. After you step off the walkway you can walk behind and sit and watch them for as long as you want.

These guys look like they are saying, "Here comes another crowd of them. Aren't they funny looking? Oh boy, do they make me laugh. They are so comical all excited and pointing at us, especially those little humans. I think they call them children."

The humans are staring back and saying moreorless the same thing. I'm sitting at the back by now and being entertained by both penguins and humans who are moving along at a slow pace. You can tell that for some it is their first time here and there is a lot of excited chatter which I find infectious. I haven't stopped smiling since I entered. I hope they don't get so interested that they miss the voice that comes out of the darkness as you get to the end of the ride, "Watch your step, you are coming to the end of the walkway, watch your step you are coming to the end of the walkway, watch...." Well you get the idea, if you don't watch your step you can trip over and start a domino effect! That would be pretty exciting too. I bet those penguins would be leaning over, pointing and laughing then. It is very dark in there but it all adds to a great atmosphere, and your eyes get adjusted. In the back there are TV's with people telling you all about the different types of penguins and above information signs that you can read. It is also nice and cool and is a very pleasant and welcome relief, especially on a hot day. I stayed in there for a very long time, not only because it was sweltering out there, but because of those beloved penguins and the memories that started flooding back of a very special time with my son all those years ago.








Right next door and in another exhibit are the puffins and other birds. I enjoy watching them too. These photos are not as sharp as I would like because the lighting is so low, but I thought I would share them anyway.





Here is a video of the puffins. I tried to download one of the penguins but I think it was a bit too large a file. I got carried away over at the penguin exhibit.


In the next post I will show you what else I saw.


Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Sylvia for hosting My World.

You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.


14 comments:

  1. Thanks for including the description of what it was like to see the penguin exhibit - I had no idea. I have heard that this is an amazing place. And I think I would have gotten carried away with the penguins, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Denise! I love all the wonderful marine life at Sea World. Thanks for sharing this trip with us. Loved your next post too starting with the mouth-watering soup! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing that the exhibits are temperature controlled and the penguins exist in Arctic conditions even in southern California!

    Here on Oahu, we have Sea Life Park. It too has penguins, but they play in Hawaii temperatures in Hawaii waters. They are trained, too, very amusing to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to any of the Sea Worlds, we live a few hundred miles from the one in Ohio. Your pictures are so nice and the Penquins look so regal. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabulous bird photography. One more beautiful than the last. Love your GPS experience. I've gotta get me one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post is worth the wait. Your pics and description of the penguins is priceless and I loved your memories of going there with your son years ago.

    I love my GPS navigation system. It is a godsend when we are in strange to us areas.

    You should give geocaching a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see the penguins Denise. Those Emporers look quite majestic don't they. Loved your video of the puffins too, funny to see their feet paddling so rapidly. A x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a way with animals, D


    Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Denise... I enjoy seeing your pictures so much... Thanks!!!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you... Hope you have a great day/week.. After tomorrow, I'm taking some time off from blogging.

    God Bless You.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Denise
    What a lovely post - I enjoy seeing animals I wouldn't get the chance to see in the wild. The moving walkway is a good idea - stops people from staying in one spot and spoiling it for others.
    We have tiny fairy penguins down at Phillip Island south of here that come 'home' every evening. Years ago you could just wait on the shore and watch them come in up the beach but now its all fenced off 'cept for one area where there is a big tourist park and viewing is regulated.
    Years ago we went to the Zoo in San Diego and saw the Pandas as well as Polar Bears both of which I'd never seen before. Great fun and something I'll never forget.
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is so wonderful, Denise! I love penguins and puffins. I've only ever met one puffin, but penguins are what got the unfittie (me) to start traveling. See:
    http://unfittie.blogspot.com/2009/12/chapter-2-from-author.html

    I also love San Diego. Really enjoyed your post, glad I went back today to see if I'd missed anything, because there you were!
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  12. The penguins are so fun and beautiful to watch! What gorgeous photos you're having of them!! :)
    And the last photo was real fun, haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The surroundings seem to have been made so well for them, they look straight out of Antartica. Great pics. I similar one in Singapore, very thrilling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Sea World! Thanks for sharing theses great photos of the penguins and puffins. Glad to know you watched your step and did not start a domino effect...
    I agree, a GPS is a wonderful invention.

    ReplyDelete