Monday, November 29, 2010

My World Tuesday

This week's post starts at Thanksgiving. We were invited to join our daughter-in-law's family for dinner and what a fun time we had. The company was great and so was the food. Lisa made delicious appetizers, thinly sliced ham wrapped around fresh asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes with a gruyer cheese and thyme dip, which we spread on slices of toasted baguette. Dottie and Leo prepared a super main course, turkey with all the fixings, and Kenzie made a yummy pumpkin pie. The conversation flowed and they were happy to allow me to put my photos on the blog. From left to right: Leo, Dottie, Jon, Kenzie, Lisa, Brad and Gregg. I am taking the photo. Dottie and Leo are our daughter-in-law's mom and dad, Jon is Lisa's youngest brother and Kenzie is his fiancé. And Gregg is once again happy I am putting more people photos on here - aren't you Gregg?

Yesterday Gregg and I were going to see a movie. It seems that all the shopping areas are decorating for the holidays and the Christmas tree is already up here. I can't believe that Christmas isn't too far away. In the United States many people start decorating from Thanksgiving but when I was growing up in England, in my family at least, the decorations went up on Christmas Eve and we always took them down again on Twelfth Night. Thanksgiving is an American holiday which I found out about when I moved here, and I have grown to love it. I have also started decorating a little earlier but still probably won't put the tree up for at least another two weeks.

In this building you will find one of our local movie theaters.

The place below, Color Me Mine, is where I spent a nice afternoon painting pottery with Lisa and Brad a few months' back. I wonder if they realize what a kick I got when I saw they had placed the bird house I painted, along with Lisa's pretty plate, and a tiny pumpkin on their dining room table? My humble little birdhouse was included in her very pretty Fall centerpiece.

Yesterday Gregg and I were a bit early so went to lunch, and also did some window browsing. When it was time for the movie we kept looking at those beautiful blue skies. It was a bit chilly but it seemed a pity to waste the nice weather inside a movie theater. I asked Gregg would he mind if we went to Walney Pond instead, and sometimes we can read each other's mind because with a big smile he said let's go. We simultaneously realized that we would rather enjoy a walk and get some fresh air than stick ourselves in the dark for a couple of hours.

We took one last look at the Christmas tree and walked to our car. The tree below had its own ideas of decorating, and I thought way to go Mother Nature.

We thought those ornaments were beautiful.

Another people photo, we have reached Walney Pond and I set the self-timer and put the camera on one of the poles that separates the pond from the parking area. I ran back next to Gregg and ten seconds later this is what we got. I've tried three seconds and you'd be getting a picture of me running next to Gregg's side, five seconds is still iffy and Goldilocks says ten seconds is just right, time for a smile and a chuckle at the quick-step, and I don't twist any ankles.

We are at the other side now looking towards the road where we had parked our vehicle.

Below Gregg is on one of the overlooks. On the opposite side is a beaver's lodge but he wasn't around today. Do beaver's hibernate? I don't think they do but I'll have to look it up to make sure. We are very fond of our resident beaver as he has given us a lot of entertainment since we have been coming here, him and his kin. We love to look out for any movement below the surface and watch him come up and splash his tail. He dives to the bottom to pull up the shoots of the waterlilies which he finds very tasty.

The lily pads are still on top of the pond, the sunlight is bouncing off the surface and there are lovely reflections in the water.

I thought I heard the song of a Red-Winged Blackbird in the undergrowth but couldn't say for sure. The only wildlife we saw was the vulture high up in a tree. We had watched his graceful flight for several minutes, and when he landed we walked up a trail which took us right underneath the tree.

I couldn't get very good shots of him and when he took off I wasn't fast enough to frame his whole body in the photo, but I took what I could.

Whenever Gregg and I walk along we enjoy looking at the old tree stumps. There were several old trees that had toppled. Yes we had passed up Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton for these old tree stumps. I have an idea they would have approved. We enjoy the outdoors too much and don't pass up any great days like this with winter coming on. Plenty of rainy and freezing cold days ahead to do that.

There's a lot of beauty in those old tree stumps. Doesn't take much to keep us entertained.

You never know who you're going to bump into. How about a Roman Emperor, or at least one who is dressed up like one? This very nice man was on a run with his companions. We didn't get the chance to ask what or why as we had already delayed them long enough. Gregg told him he was going to be on my blog and he said "Great!" so here you go, another people photograph Gregg.

They were all having a good time and truth be told I think they were glad we had stopped them as they took a breather. This man had an interesting quote on his shirt. It said, "It's never too late to have a happy childhood." I like his way of thinking so he also gets to be on my blog post.

And off they go. No, his sign didn't really say Calligula's Run, XII. I took the name and phone number off to protect their privacy. They were nice enough to let me post these photos, it was the least I could do.

All the babies had flown from this nesting box, but it will be there waiting for new ones next Spring. We'll be here waiting......

for the birds, the beavers and the muskrat, the frogs and turtles, ducks and geese and dragonflies, the fish too. We've seen them all here and much more.

No duckies or geese or fish around for people to feed. They've all flown south, maybe, and the fish are lying dormant along with their other friends until the warmer weather comes back. Sleep well my little friends.


Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Sylvia for hosting My World.

You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here

23 comments:

  1. Looks as though the two of you had a great time in addition to dinner with your family! Wonderful way to celebrate the holiday! I really enjoyed all your photos, as always! Enjoy your week, Denise!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so much fun, Denise. Thank you for letting us share your day. The dinner sounded amazing. Your lily pad photo looks like Monet took it. Love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour sweet Denise,
    Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful pictures, your world is adorable!
    I love the first picture with all family together, a blessed moment there!
    I also love the Christmas tree, the shot is perfect and the sky amazing blue!
    Hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I, too, love people photos. The one of the Thanksgiving party and the one of Gregg and that guy in a costume are priceless.

    But, I also love your photos of nature -- though vultures make me shudder.

    Keep those pics coming, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise, about time that I look in on you. Caught you having a lovely time with your family. The stroll through the woods is wonderful. I love to look at nature even if it is the start of the dormant time. The ponds look beautiful, quiet and serene, having a rest as well. Have a lovely week. T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting how some people prefer people photos and others like landscapes. I like the landscapes, I find people hard to photograph, although I'm getting lots of practise with grand baby.You made a good choice to go for a walk around that beautiful pond although it looks a bit cold to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't celebrate Thaksgiving but I have the opportunity to thank God every day about my beloved people around me! You're certainly one of them!!! I know I haven't see you from close but your pure heart is always near me! Thank you so much for being my friend and for your lovely present! I tried not to open it but I had a fast, tiny look at the package...My sister will be crazy to recieve a present from you when she'll come!!!
    For all the above reasons God blessed you with a wonderful family! That's the key of life, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each of your pictures and prose is full of thanksgiving for a wonderful life. Thank you for sharing this day on your journey and also for sharing a perfect quote: It’s never to late to have a happy childhood. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to see you with your family, and your day out was my ideal day!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great sharing of fun. The runners were having a good time also.The lilies looked like a Monet redition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you had a lovely Thanksgiving, Denise! Ah,yes. The Christmas season extends a bit more every year. Stores here were decked out in October trying to get us to part with our money.

    Love the sign to not feed the ducks, forget what the second one is), and the fish. I think they mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a great time reading your post, glad to have a glimpse into your beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely to share this with you Denise. Great photos of your family and of the outdoor time too. The Christmas trees look wonderful and I think I may well put our up one day next week, just to keep on schedule you understand! A x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful My World Tuesday posting
    Wonderful way to celebrate the holiday!
    I really enjoyed all your photos.

    Have a nice week,
    Greetings, Bram

    Link to My Word Tuesday post!

    Seen on My World Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought sure there would be a picture of the birdhouse you painted.
    Great walk you had around this lake...great people you met on your way..great pictures as usual.. I just love my camera..it's so rewarding to take pictures and they come out looking so good..
    Have a great day~! ta ta for now..from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekend.... I enjoyed seeing all of your pictures.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely - we always go for hikes on holidays too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a great series of photos.....

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  19. Denise, it looks like you had a wonder time and wonderful weather to celebrate. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful, wonderful post. So many different things to look at. Thanksgiving looks like it was a hit. So was your walk at the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post, Denise! I enjoyed your story about your day and the poeple photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I am longing for a "walk around the pond", or some such outdoor activity. Our weather has not been condusive to such pleasures.
    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was too nice of a day to be inside watching a movie. I'm glad you and Gregg went for the walk. The picture of Gregg at the overlook looks very similar to a picture I have taken at a lake at Allegany State Park in New York. The lake, called Science Lake, has a similar overlook. Nice picture of you and Gregg at the pond. I enjoyed the photograph that you took on Thanksgiving Day too.

    ReplyDelete