Monday, November 15, 2010

Ducks

Most of us like the comical nature of ducks. These are a few photos in my collection that I thought I would share today.

White-faced Whistling Duck - range South America, Central Africa

Red-billed Pintail - range S and E Africa, Madagascar

Mandarin Duck - range NE Asia, E China, Japan

Marbled Teal - range S Spain to NW India

Last but not least, the ubiquitous Mallard Duck
You can find him in Alaska and Quebec south to southern California, Virginia, Texas and northern Mexico. He spends his winters throughout the US and south to Central America and the West Indies. .
I want to thank Janice of Jabblog who pointed me in the direction of this wonderful poem. Thank you Janice.

Ducks
by F. W. Harvey

From troubles of the world
I turn to ducks,
Beautiful, comical things
Sleeping or curled
By water cool,
Or finding curious things
To eat in various mucks
Beneath the pool,
Tails uppermost, or waddling
Sailor-like on the shores
Of ponds, or paddling
Left! Right! - with fanlike feet
Which are for steady oars
When they (white galleys) float
Each bird a boat
Rippling at will the sweet
Wide waterway...
When night is fallen you creep
Upstairs, but drakes and dillies
Nest with pale water-stars.
Moonbeams and shadow bars,
And water-lilies:
Fearful too much to sleep
Since they've no locks
To click against the teeth
Of weasel and fox.
And warm beneath
Are eggs of cloudy green
Whence hungry rats and lean
Would stealthily suck
New life, but for the mien
The hold ferocious mien
Of the Mother Duck.

16 comments:

  1. oh my goodness denise, what great shots; thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures of all of the ducks, Denise... They are all just beautiful. Thanks for sharing such beauty.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved ducks, and these pictures show the reason why. Such vibrant colors, their personalities are gentle and inquisitive. I also love the Indian Runner ducks, they make me smile everytime I see them :)
    What a fantastic post Denise !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, Thanks for sharing this outstanding photo essay of ducks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these ducks are so colorful.. hope these ducks are not eaten.. they are to pretty to eat.. The neighbor guy told me last week because he couldn't find any pheasants he shot a wood duck.. YIKES~! I told him that duck is too beautiful to shoot let alone eat.. I asked him if he had a license for duck.. he said No.. I told him he should get picked up by the DNR..
    Have a great day..ta ta for now, from Iowa..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see you have your ducks all in a row ~ always wanted to say that to someone. ha! Great pictures ~ thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pictures of these lovely creatures Denise. The Mandarin is so beautiful too. We have Mallards here, lots of them, but I love the top picture of the White-faced Whistling duck - his feet look so big! A x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ducks and the wonderful poem about ducks by F W Harvey which starts, 'From troubles of the world I turn to ducks . . .'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful ducks Denise!My favorite is always the mallard duck, so glamorous!
    Hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the ducks, love your new header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charming photos and a good selection of verse.I enjoy watching the ducks. I have a duck crossing close to my home where they go back and forth across a divided four lane road, playing in 6 ponds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your duck photos are a lot better than any of mine. We don't have ducks or even geese around here like these. I think the most exotic is a Canada goose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The ducks that you photographed are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You have a good collection of various ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Liked your ducks, so pretty. The poem says it all. I like the way the poem refers to them as sailors and feet like oars and a boat. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete