Monday, October 4, 2010

Walnut Crusted Chicken with Tomato and Mozzarella Salad

It has been a while since I shared a recipe found while blog hopping. I have posted two here. I fixed them on Friday night and they were both delicious, and looked very pretty paired together.

Walnut Crusted Chicken
This came from Kacey's Kitchen. You can view her recipe right here.

4 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup of panko crumbs (moreorless depending on the size of the chicken)
1/2 cup finely crushed walnuts
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper (optional)
2 eggs
Splash of milk
1 cup flour
Salt and Pepper
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

~~~~~~

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place the flour in one plate or bowl (use paper for easy clean-up).

Beat eggs with the splash of milk and place in another bowl.

Combine panko crumbs, walnuts, garlic powder, parsley and crushed red pepper. Place on a plate.

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Coat completely in flour. Dip in egg mixture, draining any excess egg. Coat egged chicken with panko-walnut mix. Set aside and repeat with remaining chicken breasts.

In large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté chicken breasts for about two minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Place chicken on aluminum foil lined sheets and bake for ten to 15 minutes until no longer pink.



Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
found at KitchenCrush, You can view that recipe if you click here.


2 Plum tomatoes
1 Mozzarella di Bufala (or mozzarella fior di latte)
Fresh basil leaves
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

The secret to this delicious salad lies in the quality of the used ingredients. For the best salad pick Mozzarella di Bufala (buffalo mozzarella), fragrant fresh basil and ripe yet firm plum tomatoes.

Cut the mozzarella and tomatoes into 1/2 cm (1/4 inch slices), and alternate them on a plate. Sprinkle them with chopped basil, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle them with a good quality olive oil.

As usual as I am preparing food I transgress a little from the recipe and cooking always turns into an adventure. When I bought the mozzarella my supermarket didn't have the one called for in this recipe. I have bought the Bel Gioioso before but didn't realize they also make sheet mozzarella that is rolled tightly between a plastic-wrap layer. Unless you read VERY CAREFULLY, you can't really tell the difference because it looks like the same roll. It does, however, say quite clearly and in big letters "Unwrap and Roll". When I tried to slice it, it was only then I found out my mistake. I muttered a little, removed the plastic sheet, re-rolled it and sliced. It worked out okay but next time I will buy my regular solid mozzarella.

I used Campari tomatoes instead of the plum.

In the chicken dish I had no dried parsley and used dried basil instead. This wasn't overpowered by the fresh basil in the salad.

Next, I didn't sauté the chicken first, rather put it straight into the oven on 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes. I could say I didn't really want to use the extra oil to save on calorie content but because I don't want my nose to grow like Pinocchio, I was feeling a bit tired and decided to take the easiest route.

Those extra calories I was trying to save, I used them to drizzle the olive oil over the chicken before I put it in the oven.

I added a bed of lettuce to place the sliced tomato and mozzarella on top.

The crust came out nice and crunchy. I also cooked an extra chicken breast which I sliced thinly the next day and added it to a green salad.

Gregg also wanted his favorite cornbread, so I made a batch of that and it went well with the meal.

Everything turned out great, both Gregg and I enjoyed it very much and we'll definitely be making it again. I will probably try to follow instructions verbatim next time......maybe. After all we need a little adventure in our lives don't we?

17 comments:

Kay said...

This sounds absolutely wonderful. I especially love mozarella, tomatoes and basil. Yummm... I'll have to look for it here in Hawaii.

ascu75 aka Don said...

Wow I am hungry after seeing this post and its 2 hours till lunch. Looks good Denise

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Hhmmm this looks so good, I'm giving it a whirl later for supper.
I just hope I can wait that long !
Thanks for sharing Denise ;)

Jack and Joann said...

Wow! That is an impressive looking home cooked meal. I like how you took pick of all the ingredients before hand. Denise, you will soon have your own cooking show for us to follow! Thanks for sharing the recipes with us.

Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Wow...this looks and sounds so good. Great presentation!

jabblog said...

That looks lovely and very satisfying.

Abraham Lincoln said...

It all looks good enough to eat.

diane said...

Yummmmm I will be trying this one. It looks pretty too.

Cezar and Léia said...

Denise, sweet girl...You have many talents! :)
This Walnut Chicken with Tomato and Mozzarella looks the perfect meal for me.As I love Chicken and tomato and muzzarela salad, it's a wonderful idea, thanks for the receipt I will try for sure!
Hugs
Léia

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Gosh Denise.... It's only 8 a.m. and you have made me hungry for dinner already... ha ha .... Both your chicken and the salad look delicious... Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Jean said...

Yummy looking dinner! I must try the chicken dish! The salad is already a favorite but I like your presentation better.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Both recipes sound delicious. Your presentation is lovely!

gigihawaii said...

Denise, I love your recipes. Gregg is a lucky man to have you as his personal chef.

I love the taste of olive oil, but am allergic to it, so I always use canola oil.

Jan said...

Wow, Denise, I can't wait to try these recipes. Maybe tonight, since the temps have gone down, here, and I can turn on the oven, again.

Indrani said...

Wow! What a mouth watering recipe. My 14 year old is all set to try this out. :)

Cloudia said...

Yummy!




Warm Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

Janie said...

That looks delicious and healthy, too.