Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Nature Notes

Fossils
by Ogden Nash

At midnight in the museum hall
The fossils gathered for a ball


There were no drums or saxophones,
But just the clatter of their bones


A rolling, rattling, carefree circus
Of mammoth polkas and mazurkas.


Pterodactyls and brontosauruses
Sang ghostly prehistoric choruses.


Amid the mastodontic wassail
I caught the eye of one small fossil.


"Cheer up, sad world," he said, and winked,
"It's kind of fun to be extinct."

Not really but it is Ogden Nash and he is one of my favorite poets, who always puts such a positive spin on things.

My photos were taken at the Natural History Museum in Balboa Park, San Diego.


Michelle is the host of Nature Notes. Thank you Michelle for this great meme.

12 comments:

Arija said...

denise dear, before The fire I had the complete work of Ogden Nash. I have loved his verses since I was a girl. Your illustrations to this excerpt from the Carnival of the Animals are so very apt. Thank you.

Carver said...

These are great shots from the museum and the poem goes perfectly with them.

Indrani said...

This is so interesting, i like going through such collections.

EG Wow said...

Hehehe! Fun post, Denise! :)

Cezar and Léia said...

Bonjour dear Denise!
Fantastic set of pictures, it's very impressive, I mean those fossils, for sure a place that I would love to visit someday, thanks for sharing!
hugs
Léia

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

the light on the first photos is simply divine.
congrats
http://graceolsson.com/blog/2010/10/honey-moon-in-a-balloon-safari-maasai-mara-kenya/

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Love it Denise - clever you to match the words so perfectly to the pictures. A x

Cloudia said...

Brilliant post, D!!!!!!!!

Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

Janie said...

Perfect, Denise. I love Ogden Nash's pithy poem, and the fossil photos are great, too.

Rambling Woods said...

Wonderful marriage of poetry and photos...I do love going to see exhibits like this and watch programs on this type of thing anytime I see one....how exciting to see the past....Michelle

Mary said...

LOL! I love Nash, too. Great fossil shots.

Nicole said...

Beautiful shots & I love that the last one told the world to 'Cheer up';-)