Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Nature Notes

A spider sewed at night
Without a light
Upon an arc of white
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of Gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immorality
His strategy
Was physiognomy

Emily Dickinson

The spider, dropping down from twig,
Unfolds a plan of her devising.
A thin premeditating rig
To use in rising.

And all that journey down through space,
In cool descent and loyal hearted,
She spins a ladder to the place
From where she started.

Thus I, gone forth as spiders do
In spider's web a truth discerning,
Attach one silken thread to you
For my returning.

The Spider's Web (A Natural History)
E. B. White



Michelle is the host of Nature Notes. Thank you Michelle for this great meme.

14 comments:

Carver said...

Great nature notes post. I love the shots and the poem about the spider.

EG Wow said...

Love the combination of poetry and those great photos of webs.

Jean said...

I love your spider and web photos. The black background really makes them pop! Great choice of poems to add to the theme.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, I don't care for spiders (make me chill) --but I'm in awe of the webs they create. Great pictures...
Hugs,
Betsy

Gill - That British Woman said...

I too love the combination of both the photos and poetry.........

Gill

Leora said...

Do you suppose EB White spent a lot of time studying spiders before writing Charlotte's Web? Seems that Emily Dickinson also observed the details of those with a "shroud of Gnome."

Your photos are beautiful.

A piece of news said...

What a wonderful theme! Spider webs can be difficult to catch, but these are great photos.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Great photos of those spider webs Denise and the poems are so apt. I still don't like spiders though! A x

Cezar and Léia said...

This little spider worked hard!I like a lot the words, so beautiful poem!
And that first picture is awesome!
Hugs
Léia

mommanator said...

Only you! but I guess you are in the class with Emily etc, great post!

Janie said...

Spiders and their webs are most fascinating, and inspired some great poems, too.
Love your photos.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Well, I became mesmerized by those beautiful skies above..but scrolled down and am just enchanted by these lovely images and quotes-
Well done Denise!

Rambling Woods said...

These are beautiful photos Denise.. so many people are afraid of spiders and don't see the beauty...Michelle

Margaret Cloud said...

I also liked the combination of pictures and poetry. I have a perfect spider web on the outside of my sun porch window, and when the sun shines on it you can see how perfect they do their spinning. Very nice pictures.