Friday, October 1, 2010

Camera Critters

Not so long ago I was tagging along on a business trip with Gregg to San Diego, California, 3,000 miles from our home in Virginia. On September 22nd he left our hotel and walked across the street to work and I hopped in our rental car and took myself off to the San Deigo Zoo. This is a place we frequented with our son often when we lived here two decades ago, spending many happy hours with lots of great memories, as seen through the eyes of our then young child.

These are a few of the animals I took photos of. Those I can identify I have provided a link where you can learn more. Click on their names to take you to the zoo's site. You can also enlarge all my photos to get a better look.

The Gorillas are always a must see for me, so human you only have to look into their eyes and see how close a relative we are.

The Orangatans are another amazing primate.

Siamang, a gangly little fellow who comically flopped on his back after this photo was taken. I have another picture of him somewhere, seemingly showing us that he had enough of all the picture taking.

I am not sure what this little monkey is called. If I find out I will identify him at a later date.

The Mountain Lion was out of the exhibit and humans had taken its place. They had quite a few people looking at them for a change and just like me, taking pictures. The shoe, finally, on the other foot.

I saw this little Meerkat on the tour bus at the beginning of my visit. I went on a 30 minute ride where the driver told us all about each animal as we passed by. Later when I actually walked by the Meerkats they were all underground.

The next two photos show the New Guinea Singing Dog



Spotted Hyena taking a snooze.

I saw the lions on the tour bus but didn't get to see them on foot. I did get to take a picture of one though. He was on a poster advertising something, I can't remember what now. I thought he was cute enough to take another visual memory home. It was also time to meet up with Gregg at the end of his work day. I had walked around the zoo from ten in the morning to 4.30 in the afternoon. I still had a long walk back to the exit, all uphill. When I found I was so short on time and that I could take the sky ride, I enjoyed floating in the air for a while and my feet thanked me for it.


There are more photos from the zoo and I will share them at a later date.


Camera Critters is a wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn. Thank you Misty!

30 comments:

  1. Wow! these are fantastic shots. They are all so up close and personal. That flamingo is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to the zoo in years - lovely pictures!!

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a very nice post! I'm sure you had a great time there with the lovely animals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. That zoo is made for walking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos of the zoo animals, Denise! The San Diego is one of the best in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photographs of the zoo animals. I love going to the zoo. It doesn't matter how often you go to any one zoo, you always see something different!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great animal photos! I've only been to the San Diego Zoo once, but I thought it was the best I'd seen, and I've gone to a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also very fond of the orangs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Meerkats. Lovely shots. I have been to the zoo in San Francisco, but not San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonjour dear Denise!
    Wow this zoo is so interesting, adorable pictures.That flaming is my favorite one, his colour is outstanding, isn't it?
    Hugs and happy weekend
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had such a wonderful day at the zoo. I liked the men in the lion enclosure - I imagine they were pretty quickly disenchanted with all the obvious remarks that must have been made :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all quality photographs. I am happy to see them. I just wish the animals were all in their normal habitat and sanctuaries and not in the zoo.

    I have always wanted to go on a safari and see the wild animals where they live with their families.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a long time to be on your feet but if it is interesting you don't notice it until you stop. The flamingo is a fab shot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the fabulous pictorial tour of the Zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Zoo; great pictures.

    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. A long day of walking, Denise, but with wonderful results. I think photographing the people in the mountain lion cage is hilarious.
    I love the San Diego Zoo, as does anyone who has been there. Thanks for taking me back.

    Kay
    Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  17. All your shots are amazing - and that flamingo in particular is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some lovely shots there Denise. It's good to visit a zoo every so often to remind ourselves we share this planet with other animals and that we share the same origins.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You walked in the zoo for 6-1/2 hours???? Incredible!

    I would have walked for 1 hr at most. You are in better shape than I am.

    Beautiful pics, Denise. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for coming by to visit.
    I love good zoos. I have been to the one in San Francisco many times, but never to San Diego. Thanks for walking me through part of it! I never heard of a singing dog before, but I have heard coyotes sing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are some cute critters! I love the flamingo, I have a lot of flamingos in my house and on my Christmas tree! Your photo is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great shots. I always love visiting the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Denise..you know the San Diego Zoo holds more than a few special memories for me! That was one place we used to frequent quite often when visiting my Grandma and relatives on my dads side! You have a lot of beautiful captures here!
    Hope you and your family are doing fine!
    Have a wonderful weekend my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. each photo is more wonderful than the next!!
    thanks for the tour

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous critters Denise. Thanks for visiting the Kangaroos

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful photos. I haven't visited the zoo in a long time. I enjoyed so much your photos. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are such fun photos. I haven't been to a zoo in ages. You've really made me want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for making me aware of this post Denise. You are quite the photographer! Your primates are a delight as are all the other animals. The Meerkat was obviously on sentry duty, isn't he/she pretty?
    The pink flamingo is like a modern Pavlova and I am so glad you gave your poor feet a respite!

    Thanks again.

    I have not had a chance to visit much lately with the Prof's fading memory and associated little temper fits to mask it, it has been a bit of a strain.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really enjoy all photos. I most love urangutan; they come from my country :)

    Thanks for dropping by, Denise

    ReplyDelete