Saturday, September 25, 2010

TODAY'S FLOWERS

As you may already know I am away from home and in San Diego, but Sunday we are flying home. My photos were taken at the San Diego Botanical Garden in Encinitas, California. I was only able to identify three. Others you may be able to help me out.


Thanks to Kay and to Poetic Shutterbug, I now know this beautiful blue flower is called Agapanthus (The Blue Lily). If you click on their names I have provided a link that will take you directly to their blogs.
Below, "Natal-Plum - Carissa macrocarpa 'Tuttle' - Apocynaceae Oleander family
This common landscape shrub is native to the south east coast of South Africa."
Below, "Blood Lily - Haemanthus sanguineus - LiliaceaeLily Family - South Africa
This lily has red blooms and no leaves in late summer. The leaves grow during the fall, winter and spring, then go dormant - South Africa"

The last photo, the Hibiscus.

TODAY’S FLOWER’S was created by our good friend Luiz Santilli Jr.

You can find beautiful and unusual flowers from all over the world by clicking here.


28 comments:

  1. gorgeous shots of gorgeous flowers! I have seen some of the unnamed ones, but cannot think of their names at present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever they are they are all very pretty. hope you had a great trip and a safe ride home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that third photo is of the Agapanthus (Blue Lily). My husband's uncle used to raise them on the Big Island. Such gorgeous photos, Denise. I love them all! You really bring out the best of each bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An explosion of colours and lovely shapes.These flowers are magnificent!
    Happy Sunday
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic macro photos! The second one looks like daylily or hemerocallis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect way to start my day...a cup of coffee and these lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous flowers, Denise! I hope you had a great time in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful! I love all the different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love these beautiful flowers. They are much different from the prevalent colors that we are seeing here lately as fall falls upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These flowers are so beautiful Denise and such vibrant colours. A x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning series of shots! I have two rose bushes in the backyard. I planted them at the head of my beloved Golden Retriever (Adonis) grave. Our ignorant neighbors steal those roses every year. :( What kind of low-life steals from a grave?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful captures of these exotic flowers. I've seen some of them, but I couldn't name any.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Denise!
    I love the pure white of the little 'pinwheel' one and the hibiscus is gorgeous.
    Hope you had a safe return home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful flowers. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These shots are gorgeous and that blood lily from South Africa is spectacular. I have found I gravitate towards the flowers from that region. Kay is right, the third one down is agapanthus. The others, I've seen but do not remember the names. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many beautiful flowers. Nature is amazing! Great shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely flowers they're all very pretty and the colours are good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all for the great homecoming. I have enjoyed reading each one of your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful array of flowers. They are all so lovely. Great mix of colors and forms.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't identify them, but they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for all the beautiful flower pictures. I love flowers but am a failure at growing them.

    ReplyDelete