Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Watery Wednesday, combined with a Monday Ramble, one day late.

As there are a couple of pictures on here that have water in them, I decided to add them to Watery Wednesday.

I'm a little late with my Monday Ramble, but here I am letting you know that Gregg and I have been having a great time since we arrived in San Diego last Friday. Gregg, however, had to work yesterday, this being a business trip for him with me tagging along for the ride.

Thank you for all the well wishes and lovely comments on my previous posts. My time on the computer is limited right now as you can imagine, but I will be trying to catch up with you all - my favorite words I know - when I get back home.

So far we have driven by our old house and had a good look around the old neighborhood to see how much it had changed. The itty-bitty little tree in our front yard isn't so itty-bitty anymore, all our old neighbors seem to have moved on and the place was so quiet considering it was a Saturday morning. But it was fun, we took pictures and just for old time's sake we stopped in at our old McDonalds. I looked up the hillside with the memories flooding back, remembering going there with a neighbor and our children, suddenly seeing a car careening round the corner on two wheels, screeching to a halt, man jumping out and running up that very steep hillside. Sirens followed almost immediately, several police cars, police officers jumping out and chasing him up the hill. We got out of there! If I remember correctly it was a carjacker and they eventually caught him. So, as I stood looking at the hillside all this came rushing back. Thankfully everything else was a great memory and this is the start of the conversations people would have heard, "Do you remember when......."

We have been to La Jolla Cove and watched the seals snoozing on another beach not too far from the actual Cove. One playful little pup seemed to be enjoying himself digging for some kind of shellfish I'm presuming and playing in the waves. We also went to the oldest mission in San Diego and left just as a wedding party turned up.

When Gregg went to work yesterday I got into our rental and drove up to Encinitas and walked around the San Diego Botanic Gardens for several hours. These are a few of the photos I took. One of me in self-portrait mode taken at arm's length, a sculpture - there were several around the garden - a couple of ducky bums - ducks are the most comical things when they are eating, or was it something really interesting down there that took their attention - a hummingbird -very exciting for me because this is the first photo ever that I have taken of a hummingbird - and a flower. I think I'll have enough shots after this week to last until next Spring now, says I smiling.

It was a bit drizzly this morning. One reason I am late getting out of the hotel, that and the fact I walked my feet off yesterday. I didn't think to bring a raincoat with me this time. About an hour after Gregg had left I got a call from him. I thought he might have forgotten something - the offices are only a short distance away - but he told me that they had a fire drill. The alarms went off and everyone had to stand outside in the drizzling rain until they were allowed to go back inside. He didn't think to bring a raincoat either.

You can enlarge all my photos for a more detailed look.

Thank you 2sweetnsaxy for hosting this great meme.

You can get there by clicking here.

20 comments:

Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Denise, I am so jealous of all the gorgeous photo captures, but grateful you share them with us. Love the humming bird.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, Looks like you are having a fabulous time in San Diego. What a gorgeous place ... It is too bad that Gregg has to work... But--you can get out -and-about and take tons of pictures to show to US...

Great set of pictures...
Hugs,
Betsy

Linda Reeder said...

A botanical garden is a great place to go for photos, and for strolling on your own while Gregg is busy.
Hope you get some sunny days.

J Bar said...

The 'bottoms up' made me laugh. :)
Sydney - City and Suburbs

imaginationlane said...

These are wonderful shots! Clearly, you are having a wonderful holiday, and finding lots of photo ops!

matron said...

A lovely post Denise,I enjoyed reading it and the photo's are beautiful.Love the dabbling ducks,enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Roy said...

You are nicely colour co-ordinated with the water lilies Denise. Lovely photos.

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Denise,
Your posts are always a moment of peace and love , thanks so much!
Amazing pictures with light and beauty, pictures to touch our hearts!
The sweet humming bird is fantastic!
hugs and a lovely day there
Léia

diane said...

Except for the drizzle you sound like you are having fun. The photo of the humming bird is fabulous and the self portrait is lovely.

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Love, love, love----the duck butts!!!

My Watery photos are about the 'disaster area' in town during a day long rainstorm. Click Here if you'd care to join me today with your visit.

aka Penelope said...

Really like the lush lily pads ... along with your portrait. Also, like the wispy quality of the yellow flower and the rare capture of a motionless hummingbird. Thanks for sharing your journey!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

The photographs you show us today are lovely, especially your self portrait and the picture of the hummingbird. I like seeing the pictures that you show us each day, but what I LOVE is reading your Monday rambles. It sounds like you are having a great time in San Diego. I hope you go to the zoo; you'll have even more pictures to see you through the winter months :-)

Judy said...

That photo of the ducks made me think of a poem I used to read to my daughter - ducks are a-dabbling/up tails all!
Thanks for the memories

imac said...

You really captured these well Denise.

Jean said...

That is a great capture for your first Hummingbird picture. Hope you continue to enjoy your visit.

Margaret Cloud said...

I am glad you are having a nice time in San Diego. Cute picture of you, very nice smile. Your pictures are gorgeous as usual.

i beati said...

are those header birds heading my way- Pictures sheer loveliness. Denise.thanks

Kay said...

I love all your photos as always, Denise, but that photo of the ducks with their bottoms in the air is wonderful! Have a wonderful time in San Diego.

Indrani said...

Mind blowing captures, such joy to see them.

Jane and Chris said...

The hummingbird photo is fabulous. Thank you for showing it so that we may all enjoy it!
Jane