Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday Morning Ramble

Good morning everyone and a happy Monday morning to you all. This past weekend has been tremendous. We had family visiting from North Dakota for a very special event at the World War II Memorial on Saturday in Washington DC, that I felt very blessed to be witness to. I will tell you more in my next post.

I also got hugged by a couple of soldiers, one of those moments that will stay with me for a very long time. They were a young man and wife with a baby and were taking each other's photo in front of the column of the place they were from. Each column around the memorial has a State marked on it. I asked them if they would like me to take a photo of the three of them and they were only too happy to give me their camera. We chatted for a while afterwards and I ended up telling them how special they were to me, to our family, at which they both gave me a big hug. Have to say I choked up at the sight of them walking away. Soppy old thing I may be but I just had to capture that moment so that ten years down the road I could look back and remember.

24 comments:

jabblog said...

Impetuous gestures mean such a lot. Lovely photo - but even without it you would remember, I'm sure.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Oh My heart.... I could cry right now just thinking of that, Denise... How sweet.... And God Bless our troops --who do so much to help US.

Hugs,
Betsy

Cezar and Léia said...

I remember this memorial, it's beautiful!So lovely moment there with the family, I think your words make their heart happy.Well...you are so sweet Denise, you have always positive and kind words for all of us, thanks a lot!
Hugs
Léia

Jean said...

Thanks for sharing your heartfelt experience, pictures of the lovely Memorial and family.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

The WWII Memorial is one of my favorite places in DC. Thank you for sharing your special moment with the young military family.

Xavi said...

An endearing story, Denise, I remember perfectly this Memorial.
Wish you a happy Monday!

gigihawaii said...

Lovely post, Denise. I don't think I saw this memorial when I visited Washington, DC in 1987. Magnificent!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

A beautiful Memorial Denise. It was very sweet of you to offer to take their photograph - a moment you and they will always remember - they with their picture and you with yours. A x

Sunny said...

Good Morning to you too, Denise :)
Your lovely post was truly heartwarming. I would love to visit the WWII memorial.
☼ Sunny

Roy said...

That was such a nice moment for you to experience Denise.

Patty said...

Wonderful story, nice photo. Hope they see it on your blog.

Abraham Lincoln said...

Nope! You should be proud. With tears flowing down your cheeks, you should be proud. I am and I didn't even get to hug them back.

i beati said...

I'd like to see every fountain in the world

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

A lovely fountain.

imac said...

Very heart touching my friend.

Cheryl said...

A touching photo for sure.

Brit Gal Sarah said...

What a sweet story of your weekend, I bet you blessed their day too. Great pics of the memorial too.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great pictures, great story of your encounter with the soldier.

diane said...

You put a tear in my eye. Great shot and story.

Indrani said...

A touching moment, related so well.
I wish them and all like them, all the best!

Tootsie said...

I just now am getting around to your comment and have stopped by the today's flowers blog...I am so happy that you found me...and I will be following you !

Betsy said...

Oh, how touching! We literally owe our lives to our soldiers, don't we? I'm glad you got a picture of them walking away.

Thank you for visitin my blog! Yours is lovely and I know I'll enjoy getting to know you!

Margaret Cloud said...

This is so touching, could not read with out tears in my eyes. I can't wait to see the pictures. I remember your ones in your older posts. Have a nice weekend.

Gill - That British Woman said...

That final photo is fantastic......says such a lot.

Gill