Monday, August 23, 2010

My World Tuesday Season # 2 Episode # 46

Woodland Park Zoo
Part 1
I am sharing the zoo we visited in Seattle. The last time we were here was about ten years' ago and I have always wanted to go back, because the first time was a very enjoyable experience. This one was also but shorter as we arrived in the early afternoon, and truth be told we could have come back two days in a row. We had already spent the morning walking around a Japanese Garden and ended our day by visiting the zoo. Our aim was to see as many places as we could in the few days that we had before Gregg had to go back to work.

You can click on each photo to enlarge them for better detail.

We started off at the penguin exhibit. There were other visitors besides humans, which included the Great Blue Heron and the Seagull who had flown in for a spell.

This penguin was obviously enjoying having his photo taken and posed beautifully for someone's camera.

This one was putting on quite a show for the little girl, whose reflection in the glass showed how happy she was at being so close to this cute little performer.

Our next stop was at the reptile house and I liked the two fresco's on the wall of the Kimodo Dragon and the Crocodile.

This was all I could get of the crocodile as my 'live' shots were terrible.


Apparently we were moving pretty fast through the reptile house as I didn't take note of either the lizard or the snake.

But this big fellow I must have visited for quite a while.

The Komodo Dragon

Just about as prehistoric looking as you can get, a lovely creature.

Below you can see another wonderful sculpture just outside. I read online that "Komodo dragons have thrived in the harsh climate of Indonesia's Lesser Sundra Islands for millions of years, although amazingly their existence was unknown to humans until about 100 years ago." You can read more about them if you click here.

Next stop we happily stumbled upon an outside exhibition of birds of prey. I remember it from before. These birds were injured in the wild and brought to the zoo for rehabilitation, and if they were unable to be reintroduced into their natural habitat because of more permanent injuries, were used in the educational program.

A Barn Owl

The next two photos are of a Northern Saw Whet Owl

A Barred Owl
Lastly....
a Peregrine Falcon

More animals coming up in a couple of days.

Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Sylvia for hosting My World.

You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.

33 comments:

  1. Wow, great zoo. I loved the Komodo dragon shot and the birds of prey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great zoo pictures, Denise... I can understand why you enjoyed going back there.

    Can't pick a favorite---but I'm partial to the Peregrine Falcons.

    Thanks for sharing.. Have a wonderful week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was wise to zoom in on the Komodo Dragon's paws. They are unusual and very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these shots. I haven't been to that zoo for many many years but would love to go there again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! Looking forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fantastic shots. I love zoos. That komodo dragon is a sight to see, wow! Great shot. I always love owls and the detail in your owl shots are amazing. Looks as if you had a grand ole time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. visiting a zoo is very invigorating.

    www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My last visit at the Seattle zoo was also about ten years ago. Although I sometimes wonder about the zoo concept in general, I so enjoyed visiting there with my family and seeing all the fascinating creatures that looked to be in excellent care. Your post has brought back great memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woodland Park Zoo is one of my favorite places in Seattle! Your photos are fatastic! Love the Peregrine Falcons! Enjoy your week, Denise!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great shots Denise, also love the fun in the prev post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your visit and wishes Denise! You're always so kind...
    Some of these animals creeps me! It seems that I'm not a big fan of the reptiles and their cousins...But pinguins are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome photos, well except that the Komodo Dragon creeps my out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise: Those were a wonderful set of photos from the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice job Denise. I liked everything except the snakes. Snakes give me the willies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great series of shots, each a stunner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was feeling sorry I missed the zoo in Seattle also, but feel better since I got to see your photos. They're fabulous, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice zoo! Great close-up of the komodo dragon's scales there and of course I love all the bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you get to see all these beautiful creatures. Love them all particularly the owl & falcon photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Denise!
    How lucky you are!This Zoo is wonderful and I love the interesting pictures of those critters friends!
    But I need to confess that I have a great fear about that Komodo critte! Opssss!
    purrs and love
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a delight your blog is!! I was finally replying to some of the comments on my blog and came to see yours and I just love it. Thanks for visiting, for commenting, and for sharing your blog. Stop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry, me again - I just noticed your Greyhound button. Did you know I have two??? Have had five over the last ten years and oh what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You really managed to get an assortment of magnificent photographs there at the animal kingdom. All good ones.

    Thanks for your visit to my blog about our local birds.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Komodo dragon is pre-historic looking. Very good pictures enjoyed seeing them all. My granddaughter has a Bearded Dragon lizard and they look just as pre-historic. I wish our zoo was more interesting. Thank you for coming by, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely pictures of your zoo visit Denise. I would have been fascinated too by the Komodo dragon and the crocodiles, as you say such a prehistoric look. A x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, and I forgot to say how much I love the picture you're using for the header! Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You must have had an amazing trip to the zoo. I understand very well why you wanted to visit the zoo one more time. Thank you for sharing this great trip with us in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all your photos, Denise. We haven't visited the zoo in a long time but I hope we can grab a chance this summer. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great Pictures Love Komodo Dragons very interesting creatures.
    I love zoos I can see why you love this zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great zoo shots. We were supposed to go there for my birthday but things keept getting in the way, mostly my foot surgery that took a few months to heal. Good reminder to go.

    Love the Komodo Dragon foot. Amazing shot.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for visiting everyone. I've enjoyed reading all your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great pictures, Denise. My favorites are the ones of the claws of the komodo dragon and the first pic of the saw whet owl. These are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete