Monday, August 16, 2010

My World Tuesday

More photos from Seattle. To recap, Gregg was on a business trip for two weeks back in July. I joined him midway when he was able to take Friday through the Monday off. We spent a great time looking around the area, but on the Tuesday I set out on my own when he went back to work. Fortunately he was working downtown and our hotel was nearby, within easy walking distance of many interesting places, which included the Seattle Museum. Outside you can see the statue of a man with a hammer. At the end of this post is a video of that statue.

I was surprised to see nine cars suspended from the ceiling. The rods sticking out of them lit up with pulsating lights. Its creator is Cai Guo Quiang

I walked up the stairs and passed these beautiful ancient Chinese statues. Below is a ram and the sign read: "Ram. China - Ming dynasty (1368-1644). Thought to be from the spirit path of the tomb of Zhu Gaosui (died 1436), third son of the Yongle emporor (reigned 1403-24). Marble."

Do you see the picture of Picasso? I was disappointed that I would miss his exhibition of artwork as I was too early. His exhibit was due to start after I had left town.

This marker on the statue below said: "Civilian Guardian. China Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). From the spirit path of an unknown tomb of the 17th-18th century. Marble."

The one on this statue read: "Camel - China - Ming dynasty (1368-1644). Thought to be from the spirit path of the tomb of Zhu Gaosui (died 1436), third son of the Yongle emporor (reigned 1403-24). Marble." It's the same information as the ram.

These sentences were printed on one of the walls I walked by.

I found this cloak absolutely beautiful and was amazed to find that it was made of.....

military dog tags. The creator of this piece is Do-Ho-Suh.

This sculpture was made by Katharina Fritsch. A six foot tall black mouse sitting on a man in a bed, all snowy white. I couldn't help but smile when I saw him.

This one is made out of porcelain. The plaque read: "St. John the Baptist, 1988. Porcelain. Jeff Koons, American,born 1954."

I'm in an area where I believe it is showing Nigerian art. By this time I was getting a little tired and got a bit lax on taking note of things.


The marker on this one below reads: "Lion stool, after 1957. Wood, paint. Ghaniain, Asante."

The following two photos are called Caterpillar Suits by Walter Oltmann.


This one is called "Boys Blowing Bubbles, 1640's. Oil on canvas. Attributed to Michealina Woutiers. Flemish, ca 1620 - after 1682"

This painting was one of my favorites. I found the contemporary art very interesting but I love the traditional pieces.

"Mme. H. and her children. 1815. Oil on canvas. Louis Andre Gabriel Bouchet. French, 1759-1842."

This beauty is a: "Mantel Clock, 1799. Gilt, bronze, enamel, white marble. French, Paris. Movement by Ridel."


There was an Egyptian exhibit....


and a Roman one.
And a room full of hundreds of pieces of porcelain, which kept me entertained for quite a while.

Behind the center display, you can see another wall with more pieces of porcelain.


Next:"The Italian Room. Wood-paneled room ca 1550-1600. Spruce, Willow and Fir. Northern Lombardy, Chiavenna."

A description of the Italian Room.

This was on the ceiling.



There were many more exhibits but a lot of them I couldn't take photos of because of the rules. One of my favorites was the northwest native art. It was absolutely beautiful and I spent longer there than any other area. I wasn't sure I could take photographs and by the time I had made my way around and figured how things worked, I was too tired to go back and check. Hopefully it is a permanent exhibit as it is another good reason to go back to Seattle.

I have been spoiled by the Smithsonian Museums in Washington DC as they are all free, but I paid my $15 dollar entrance fee to this museum without complaint. It was well worth it. I read on someone's website when I was trying to find information about the place - don't remember where now - that on the first Thursday in August, many of the museums in Seattle are free, so if anyone finds themselves there next year around that time and it is still available, hopefully you can make use of it and take all your family.

video



Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and Sylvia for hosting My World.

25 comments:

Sylvia K said...

It is a wonderful museum and I'm so glad you had the opportunity to visit it! Your photos are superb as always and the next best thing to being there! Hope you have a great week, Denise!

Sylvia

Ania said...

I never thought Seattle is so extravagant!

gigihawaii said...

Loved the video of the moving sculpture. There's nothing like it here in Hawaii.

You were able to take a lot of photos. Many museums and even stores forbid photography for some reason. Lucky you!

Jim said...

Great shots of these works of art. I saw the cars hanging from the ceiling created by artist Cai Guo-Caing at the Sydney biennale. I thought that they had moved this artwork from Seattle to Sydney but it seems it was recreated here. I had the photos on my blog two weeks ago.
http://sydney-city.blogspot.com/2010/08/cockatoo-island-biennale_05.html

oldmanlincoln said...

My goodness. I would say you really hit the jackpot. So many things to see and so little time. Your photography skills and writing skills are proof of what you saw. I really enjoyed this post.

I was blown away by the dog tags. I wonder if by chance if mine is among them?

Samson said...

beautiful museum with great collection of artwork... its nice that you were able to take photo's, not many museum's alow that...

I have a badge for you Here, stop by and grab it when you get a chance

Linda Reeder said...

Somehow our museum looks better through your eyes. I'm glad you liked it. I do love the Northwest Native collection, but the modern stuff just doesn't do it for me. Now Hammering Man - cool. We love him here.

Barb said...

What a wonderful tour of the Seattle Museum, Denise. I love the smiling Chinese Ram, the Cloak, and the Black Mouse!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Beautiful pictures of the items in the museum, Denise... Glad I saw this post... You posted so many pretty things that it's hard to talk about all of them.. They are all beautiful...

I'll take a shot at a couple which jumped out at me. First was the statue out front... How marvelous is that.... And second were those Caterpillar Suits... NEAT!!!!! BUT--all in all, they are ALL nice.

Thanks..
Hugs,
Betsy

Siromade said...

What a great world you are in. I love all the photos in the museum and the first one the tall man with a hammer very cool...

Caroline said...

Thanks for the tour! What a fab museum.

BraCom (Bram) said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful and interesting photos

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

My WordPress Blog

Seen om My World Tuesday

Maria Berg said...

I am so happy I stopped by your blog today - thank you for taking us a tour at that art center - it is much cheaper to have a look from here then take the airplane over to Seattle but one day i want to go, to feel all those things and smell...
MB

Cezar and Léia said...

wow Denise, this Museum is awesome!
So nice that you could take pictures inside.Amazing art, I would love to visit there, I love Museums!Thanks so much for taking us there with you, great set of pictures, your world is a dream! :)
Hugs
Léia

jabblog said...

What a lovely museum. Everything seems to be placed so beautifully in good airy spaces. I loved the marble statues and the huge mouse. The enormous sculpture outside is fascinating. Seattle looks like a wonderful place.

Indrani said...

Whoa! amazing creations all. So difficult to decide which is more exciting and beautiful.

kentallinoneplace said...

Hi Denise thanks for dropping by . I love this post seems you had a great day. I am looking forward to our art museum opening in Margate. I loved the photo 'what is Art' a lot of people are worried about The Museum we are getting as it is to be a Contemporary space and a 'modern design'. Even Caves were contemporary a million years ago.

Craver Vii said...

Koons' Saint John the Baptist hit a nerve with me. It is obviously influenced by da Vinci's last painting, which now hangs in the Louvre. But Koons' porcelain features are more effeminate, and holding a pig would have been unthinkable for a devout Jew such as John the Baptist. I do not understand what the contemporary artist was trying to accomplish by adding the pig.

I prefer the suspended cars and Chinese marble.

ksdoolittle said...

Thanks for the tour of the museum! I am always so amazed when I see ancient items like that. My brain almost can't fathom it all! I would have been exhausted. You were very brave to strike out in the city all by yourself. ~karen

Diane AZ said...

Hi, I really enjoyed your photo tour of the Seattle Museum. That dog tag cloak is amazing. Looks like you had a fun time!

imac said...

All great captures Denise.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Are the nine cars suspended from the ceiling to represent cars exploding? I saw a similar exhibit on another blog; however, I don't believe it was from Seattle.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Thank you for the museum tour. The museum exhibits are extraordinarily beautiful.

Cheryl said...

I so enjoyed my museum visit! I know I would be there for several days if I could...

Kay said...

I was so excited to see the man with the hammer. I remember seeing him when we were in Seattle. I didn't get to go to the museum and now I'm sorry. Your photos are just magnificent, Denise.