Friday, August 6, 2010

Camera Critters

These are some of the feathered critters I saw at Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge. I am hoping someone will identify this duck for me. He was different to any kind I had seen before, and I was interested in the fact that his tail looked more like a fan.

You can enlarge them to get more of the details.
I recognize this bird as a Cedar Waxwing. We have them in Virginia though I rarely see them.
Easy to recognize, our American Robin.
Not sure what this one is.
As we were leaving Nisqually I saw a falcon/hawk (?) fly across the road on a bend. I was very happy to find that he had perched on the top of the pine, and we stopped for a while to take a few shots. He was obviously on the hunt for dinner as his head swiveled in what seemed like all directions. Any ideas as to what he might be?

In my post I have three birds I am very interested in identifying. If you can help I would be very grateful. In the meantime I am pouring through my bird books.

Camera Critters is a wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn. Thank you Misty!

You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

25 comments:

  1. OH, they are all so precious. Wonderful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry nnot able to identify the duck, but he's a handsome chap !
    What a lovely area you was able to visit, the wildlife abundant.
    Love your pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise: Very cool captures, can't help with the ID.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos. So!rry I cannot help

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love the one in which the bird is on the tree... All pics are very beautiful... You have a wonderful blog here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice bird captures. You saw a lot of variety. I wish I could help with identification, but I'm not that good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shots, Denise. I hope you find out what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grrreat shot, Denise... I love that birdie! LoL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Denise cant help with names, shall we call the falcon Hungry Harry, the duck Dappy and the other one Al short for altitude. Sorry but I had to try. Sounds like a nice place to visit. Have a good week and thanks for the comments. XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pics of nature. You are such a great photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, beautiful shots of critters you have Denise.

    Camera Critters at my page, have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely lovely bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that looks like such a great place to visit to see wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The trick with ducks is to look for the colourful males! The one below the robin looks to be a flycatcher of some sort. Perhaps a phoebe? It's like not being able to spell a word...how do you look it up if you can't name it?! Thanks for visiting Reflections of Muskoka

    http://mymuskoka.blogspot.com/2009/07/camera-critters-66.html
    I have a photo of a phoebe there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so beautiful. And sorry Denise, I dont have any idea what duck is it. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last one might be a red-tailed hawk. Hawks are hard to identify, but red-tailed hawks are the most common here in the Pacific Northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good photos! I have no idea what the duck is, but would have to agree with Jenn Jilks about the fourth one. It looks as though it may be a phoebe, but I could be mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All are beautiful photos love the birds sitting on the top of the branch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I rather miss seeing robins... especially in spring. Now it's just mynahs and bulbuls.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bonjour dear Denise,
    I'm enchanted by those little friends, the birds are adorable, I love their beautiful voices, they are always happy when they sing a song! :)
    purrs and love
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some nice birds there. If only they were all as easily identified as that American Robin. I have no idea what that water bird is. It doesn't really have a bill like any duck I've seen, unless it's some kind of hybrid.

    ReplyDelete