Thursday, July 29, 2010

SkyWatch Friday

Predated post but I am traveling back today.

My photos this week are taken of the skies around the Smithsonian National American Indian Museum. If you click here it will take you to their site, and if you click here and here, you will find some very interesting information and photos.

We live about 25 miles away from Washington DC and I feel very fortunate that we can visit the Smithsonian Museums any time we feel like a trip into the city. I enjoy all of them but The National Museum for the American Indian is one of my favorites.

At Wikipedia I read that this is the first museum in the country dedicated exclusively to American Indians. The exterior is covered in a golden-colored Kasota Limestone designed to evoke natural rock formations shaped by wind and water over thousands of years.


This rather magnificent statue was on the grounds but it had no identifying plaque of who the artist was. I think it was in the process of being set up.


This particular photo I got from the Wikipedia site and you can get there if you click here.


12 comments:

imac said...

What a beauty of a building.
Loved to see that.

Marites said...

i really like it's design..it's beautiful! nice angle on the first pic. happy weekend!

stan said...

It's about time they honour the natives of the land! great building and capture!

Janie said...

You are lucky to be able to visit the Smithsonian often. This looks like a wonderful building and a fascinating subject.

Eaglesbrother said...

Great photos of a long overdue building for housing Native American Artifacts and History..I have yet to go visit this new Museum...but I hope someday to be able to..I have heard it is quite nice.

Hildred and Charles said...

Beautiful buildings, - you are indeed lucky to be able to visit them at the drop of a hat. (or a hop on the train) Thank you for sharing both the pictures and the links.

Kathiesbirds said...

What a great skywatch photo! I love the shape of that building! I have seen a similar sculpture of an Indian by an artist from Park City, Utah. I wonder if it is the same guy. I don't recall his name either. Wonderful sculpture though.

Regina said...

Such beautiful skies and captures Denise.I've been to Smithsonian once only. Thank you for sharing.
" Happy SWF". Enjoy your weekend.

fredamans said...

I'm dying to go there, but it's still not in the picture for me. Love the shots you posted!

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/07/sky-friday_29.html

Manang Kim said...

Oh wow what a beautiful architecture. I see nothing in that structure is straight that makes it look very unique and beautiful. Thanks for sharing and happy weekend!

SWF~Fiery

mommanator said...

I love this aprt or our nations capitol! I think it wonderful you can see so much of our history, riches without paying too!

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful series of photos, Denise! The museums are my favorite part of DC.