Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I'm home

You know those times when you feel like you are being stared at?

This little Tufted Titmouse was spotted in the branches that overhang our back deck. I'm always happy when he stops by, such a sweet little thing. You can find out about him if you click here. You can even hear what he sounds like. Bird calls are one of my favorite things to listen to. Nothing like the sound of the morning chorus at the break of day. Just about as relaxing a sound as you can get.

I am enjoying a nice quiet morning. Gregg left for work a few hours ago. I slept in late and didn't get up until 9.00 a.m. Usually I am a bit of a night owl but after our journey home yesterday I found myself nodding off and was asleep by midnight.

We had a lovely time, saw family and old friends, met new ones. It was fun to listen to all the stories. Celia's son Ken surprised her and knocked on the door Friday night. She had no idea he was coming and was thrilled to see him, and of course we were very happy to be able to chat with him over the weekend. Our son and daughter-in-law drove down too but I knew they were coming and it was great that Lisa got to meet more of the family.

On the afternoon of the picnic I think there were at least 40 people in the back garden. After a little while I feel my head getting a bit 'swimmy' and that's when I know it's time for me to get out of the heat and into an air-conditioned house. Such a wimp but better to be a wimp than embarrass myself by passing out. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again in front of 40 people.

I haven't changed any from that first summer in the US back in 1976, so I always say to Gregg don't worry if I disappear. It's not long afterwards that a few more people decide the heat is a bit too much for them too, so I am not alone for long. (It is going to get up to 100 deg. F. today. Not going out in that either!)

I did manage a walk around the neighborhood this time. It is such a pretty area, established in the 1950's, with lots of trees that were blooming. I have always wanted to take my camera and get a few shots to take home with me, and I have been busy organizing them this morning to share at a later date. I'll be posting again in a little while but I think that's about it for now. I am still waking up!

10 comments:

Limey said...

He is very sweet! Cute little face and tufty feathers.

KaHolly said...

Oh, so sweet bird!!! They are so comical. Glad you had a good time away. ~karen

imac said...

Welcome back Denise, glad to hear all went well and plenty of fun and happiness.

Barb said...

Sounds as though you had a wonderful 4th with Family and Friends. Stay cool - that bird does seem to be watching you!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Glad to hear that you had a good holiday weekend. I had to chuckle when I read about Ceilia's son Ken paying his mother a surprise visit. Bob and I drove to my brother's camp on the 4th of July. Jim's camp is located about 1 1/2 hours from our house. We wanted to surprise Jim and Judy with our visit. Bob and I are the ones that got the surprise. No one was at the camp. We learned later that everyone had went on a 3 1/2 mile hike.

gigihawaii said...

Temperatures in Hawaii climb to 87 degrees in the summer. I usually turn our a/c on around noon. Feel sorry for those who can't afford a/c.

Looks like you enjoyed meeting the folks at the picnic.

diane said...

He's a cute little bird peeping around the tree. It sounds like you had a big but happy weekend. Wow it sure is hot there...keep cool...while I'm trying to keep warm.

Cezar and Léia said...

So lovely bird!
Glad to know the news and now it's time to rest a little bit,in these hots days, nothing better than a nap and ice cream! :)
hugs
Léia

Misty Dawn said...

Glad you had such a wonderful time! I love these little birds, they are so cute.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Such a sweet little bird, how lovely. Sounds as though you enjoyed your weekend with the family Denise. I love family gatherings. A x