Friday, July 16, 2010

Camera Critters

We were walking by the creek making our way across the walking bridge. I don't know what it was that made me notice the ever so slight movement, but out of the corner of my eye I spotted a beige colored speck in the distance and the more I peered through the leaves, two ears took shape. It was a deer.

When I looked through the lens of my camera there she was standing in the middle of the creek, with the shadows of the leaves on her head.

I moved slightly to try and get a better view of her face. I have seen deer a thousand times but whenever I spot one it is as though for the first time. I just stand there and stare, and I feel this sense of peace flowing through my body as my eyes take in a wonderful scene. Sunlight dancing through the leaves, the chirping of birds up in the trees, the sound of the water gurgling in the creek, and my little deer as interested in us as we were in her.

She looked one way....

and then the other....

and she must have sensed that she was safe as she started drinking. After observing her for a little while longer, we decided to leave her alone and we continued on our way.

This was our gift for the day.

Camera Critters is a wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn. Thank you Misty!

You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

26 comments:

  1. Denise, I love your presentation on this post. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brill photographic skills Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever zoom/crop/inset feature that is you are using, I love it. The close-up of the deer drinking is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great camera and those are some nifty photos. You captured a lovely moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sequence, Denise. The excitement of seeing wild life never fades, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so satisfying,when such simple,innocent things bring us joy.These photo's of the deer are wonderful and I love the way you have presented them.Great photography Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to see it for yourselves Denise. You have made it a gift to us also - many thanks. A x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature is beautiful and uplifting. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful gift, post and photos. I never see deer but for a second and they are on their way. I have been by your blog sveral times this week but some days I cannot open it on my computer so I can't leave a comment! Don't know why!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She was comfortable with your presence and continued with her drinking, isn't that a lovely, calming, compliment ?
    Beautiful shots Denise !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great captures, nicely camouflaged.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this photo essay, fantastic shots and well documented.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post, Denise. There is just something magical about seeing wildlife up-close in its natural habitat.
    I really liked the way you presented these photos with the subject framed and the rest blurred. It gives us the same sense that cropping would--drawing our focus to the subject--without taking away the setting. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photographs. I have seen lots of deer in the wild but I am hardly ever ready to get a photo and they run off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing! Love the progression of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Denise
    Like everyone else I'm thrilled that you were in the right place at the right time and managed to see these deer.
    I does look like she is checking the air - similar to the look right look left look right again - or left right left in your case lol
    What photo prog. did you use to get that fabulous effect?
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have very good eyes! I love how you did that framing! You are so good with your camera and the computer. I'm in awe of your ability.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spectacular post. I love the way you zoomed in and boxed it off. How did you do that? ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was a truly lovely post Denise. I so enjoyed it
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you that you were given a gift that day. Bob and I sometimes refer to such treasures as today's bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice post..
    And great capture..
    Well done Denise..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your deer photos make it easy to see why our greyhounds are often mistaken for deer. Lovely photos!! Thank you for sharing them with us.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm the exact same way when I see a deer. Each and every time is a magnificent experience. Of course, part of that may be because they are my favorite animal (beside dogs, of course).

    ReplyDelete