Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Watery Wednesday and Nature Notes

I am running a bit short on time, so I thought for this week I would combine two meme's I enjoy taking part in.

When we were driving back from visiting Gregg's family for the 4th of July weekend, Gregg found himself getting too sleepy to drive and I wasn't much better myself. He decided to take a break in our journey and we would nap in the car if we had to. The town of Tappahannock is the place we chose to rest up. Feeling that tired and having to stop turned out to be a very happy happenstance, as when Gregg drove down a hill and stopped by the Rappahannock River, we walked to the water's edge and noticed this lovely sight.

I recognized the pole and the platform first as I remembered seeing something similar on a trip to North Carolina years ago. We were making our way on a long bridge and every mile or so, not too far out in the water, we could see Osprey sitting on the same kind of platform. I was hoping that this was the same thing and when I looked through the camera lens I was thrilled to see two chicks looking very comfortable out there.

I had to crop the photos very closely and consequently they aren't that clear, but I am not complaining because I considered myself very lucky to be even this close. Gregg got quite a kick out of them too. He is beginning to love nature as much as I am and tells me often. It's really lovely to share this hobby we now both have.

It was hard to tear ourselves away but after another short walk along the river we decided we were able to continue our journey. Also the cool breeze off the water had really helped. I drove the rest of the way home bright and breezy thanks to our sighting of the Osprey, while Gregg was able to catch up on some much needed sleep.

If you want to find out more about Osprey, you can go here.

Before we got back to the car we saw these pilings even further away. If you enlarge them you can just about make out two more Osprey sitting there, maybe three. I think these were adults but no expert so don't really know.



Michelle is the host of Nature Notes. Thank you Michelle for this great meme.

Michelle also has a very loving tribute to her friend Bobbie today.

Michelle's Natures Notes is right here.


Thank you 2sweetnsaxy for hosting this great meme.

You can get there by clicking here.

30 comments:

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Even with all the cropping the pictures look pretty good. Great capture of the baby osprey!

J Bar said...

These shots look awesome.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Linda Reeder said...

Very cool. We are priviledged to watch osprey fishing over Useless Bay on Whidbey Island. They hover and then dive, crashing into the water, and come up with a fish in their tallons, which they then carry off over the land, probably to a nesting site in the trees.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots. What a wonderful place to build nest.

Little Messy Missy said...

Very cool!!!

Vicki said...

Wow! I would have loved to have been there to see the chicks. Thanks for the photo.

Greyscale Territory said...

Wonderful photos! Incredible that osprey are quite at home on the top of telegraph poles!

Cloudia said...

nice job, esp with the equipment at hand...




Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Great shots Denise. How lucky you were to catch sight of the Osprey chicks and the adults. We saw Osprey and some poles with platforms when we were in Canada recently - too early for chicks I think. Lovely to see your photos, thanks for sharing. A x

magiceye said...

wonderful captures denise!!

cat said...

Wow great photos. Looks a litte dangerous for the chicks out there. Hopefully they won't fall in the water.

AL said...

Haven't seen Ospreys in real life and thank you for sharing photos of them. I would try bird watching if I can I can see that it's an interesting hobby.

Cezar and Léia said...

Thanks so much for the close ups, today your post is all about love, family, cute birds, amazing scenery and life!Well done Denise!
Léia :) and little LUNA

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Excellent array of bird photos...I so love bird-watching. This was a special treat.

My Wednesday Post: INCOMING!!

Michele J said...

aww... how nice to see these! I have seen the osprey but haven't been lucky this year to get the photos. You did well even with cropping! I can see them still very nicely!! =)

KaHolly said...

Terrific shots, Denise. I have a resident osprey that nests in a tree across the little harbor in front of my house. I am lucky to have the opportunity to watch them come and go every day. Even while sitting at my sewing machine! They fly quite low over the house with fish in their grasps! ~karen

Roy said...

That was a great sight to see Denise. Ospreys are amazing birds.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great shots. I don't think I've ever seen ospreys in the wild before.

imac said...

Grand post Denise, cute too.

gigihawaii said...

LOVELY NATURE WALK!

Monts said...

Great Osprey shots well done.

jabblog said...

It gladdens the heart to capture such treasures - well done, Denise! Particularly well done for stopping to take a break when you realised you were getting sleepy - too many people don't.

Leora said...

We've gone boating in a place in New Jersey with osprey - cool birds. But that was before my blogging days.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, that is one time when being sleepy and stopping to rest really paid off.. Right???? Love seeing the Osprey nest. You got some great pictures...

George and I travel on the back roads instead of the interstates most of the time. It takes longer--but we love the things we see when using the back roads.

Hugs,
Betsy

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

They look very handsome on the nest. I think they look like they are well taken care of by the parents.

I am trying to get some favorite family recipes from my favorite bloggers. I even started a new blog—Fat Lady Recipes—to hold them. I have received some submissions with more promised. A photo of your dish is nice but not required. A photo of yourself is required as well as your real name. Sometimes I can use your profile photo if it is not an icon.

The Fat Lady Recipes blog should be getting some magazine coverage soon but I am not at liberty to talk about just yet.

You don't have to be fat to share recipes.

Fat Lady Recipes

Scott said...

What a great visit. I think that is amazing that the Osprey parents build a pole and platform for their chicks and then build a nest on it LOL. Anyway, cool shots.

SKIZO said...

In your honour and in the honour of wall the Photographers, I published an ilustration.

Rambling Woods said...

What a awesome opportunity...Love osprey... and thank you for adding the Bobbie Badge..I appreciate it Denise....Michelle

eileeninmd said...

Denise, what a great sighting of the osprey chicks. The cropped photos look great. They are neat birds to watch. I like to see them fishing.

Kay said...

This is so fabulous! How exciting to watch this. Bobbie was truly a wonderful lady. We're all going to be missing her.