Monday, July 19, 2010

My World Tuesday, Season 2, Episode 41

This is my in-law's neighborhood in Virginia Beach. It is really lovely with lots of well established trees and the homes were built in the 1950's. It has been a long time since I have had a chance to walk around, and I have always wanted to take some updated photographs, which is what I did on the Sunday. People are very friendly and wave at you when they drive by.

There were several Stars and Stripes on display outside of people's homes, it being the 4th of July weekend.
These little lawn ornaments caught my eye, two little boys holding dogs.
There was also the tree sentinel.

This swinging chair looked very inviting under the shade of that big old tree.
And so did this, a nice quiet spot to rest for a spell and watch people walk by but everyone seemed to be staying indoors out of the heat, except for mad dogs and one English born American woman out in the noon day sun.
The Crepe Myrtles were in full bloom....
and they were everywhere.
I passed this rather large yellow buttercup parked outside a house. Someone had been doing yard work judging by those very large trash bags at the side.
I loved how this tree showed the lighter shade of green on the backside of the leaves mixing in with the darker green fronts.
This is one of two very pretty stone plant pots on each side of a driveway.
Someone had decorated their mail box with seashells. We are only a couple of miles from the ocean.
Here is our golf enthusiast....
a few doors down from the house we lived in back in the early 1980's when son Brad was a toddler. Our neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Brown. They are long gone but I have very warm memories of them. Mrs. Brown and I shared a vegetable garden. She was a much better gardener than I, and I always remember her picking my tomatoes before they got too ripe, and gave them to me the next time I was out in the garden with Brad. There were no fences back then.

She was a very dear lady and when we left she gave me a crocheted blanket she had made. We still 'fight' over it in the winter. The colors have run and it has been washed a thousand times, and even though there is finally a hole in one corner, it is still going strong, hopefully for many more years. Brad even tried to take it with him when he moved out, and I vehemently hung onto it. Our son isn't the only one attached to that blanket. I have a strong connection to it like any baby with its blankie. Thank you Mrs. Brown, you're still keeping us toasty after all these years.
Hey look, the buttercup caught up with me!
I loved walking around this quiet neighborhood.
It is a great place for a Sunday stroll.


Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and Sylvia for hosting My World.

You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.

19 comments:

  1. It's a lovely scenery there, love looking at the trees and the flowers, and the sports car too I'll be dreaming of that.lol I love your world it's wonderful to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful captures, love the details you have shown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely walk down memory lane! And your photos are really superb, Denise! Thanks for taking us along! Hope you have a lovely week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely neighborhood to live in... I love the trees and the details... especially those lawn ornaments!

    Have a peek at My World HERE. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really a lovely walk and nice photos. Your narrative was nice, too because of the memories you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love it that there are no fences. the swinging chair is simply adorable! lovely neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely neighborhood. I would enjoy a bike ride or a walk here. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhh! Thank you for taking me on the stroll with you. What a lovely place and wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a great neighborhood to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Post Denise with wonderful photos.

    Did the Gulls get to your house first?

    You are invited to visit my new blog
    http://
    macscreamofthecrop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a very nice place to take a walk. Enjoyed all of your pictures. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Help, I had this same problem on another blog. The 'Translator' gadget does not list English, so the blog is always in another language. The other blog had this same problem that several other followers commented on, and she had to take the gadget off. Hope you get it fixed so I can read about your photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey, I looove that yellow buttercup! My kind of car!!!

    I have never been to Virginia Beach. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so enjoyed my "stroll" with you today. What a lovely, inviting neighborhood. Pretty photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice shots Denise. It does look like it was a lovely stroll through the neighborhood and down memory lane! Love the blanket story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew that Virginia Beach must be beautiful because I was born there!! The picture of the leaves is extraordinary. You captured it just right. I noticed it right off when you put it as your header. Well done. ~karen

    ReplyDelete