Monday, June 21, 2010

My World Tuesday Season # 2 Episode # 37

These are photos from our morning in Washington DC last Sunday on Father's Day. Gregg and I took our turns taking photos and many that you see here were taken by him.

The tree lined street provided welcome shade for part of our walk. We had parked our car about three blocks away, having seen that many of the main roads we usually take into the city were blocked off because of a marathon.

Various sights seen, the Amtrak train approaching and walking under the bridge as it thundered over us. Other modes of transport, like these neat looking motorcycles.

Two of the buildings we passed by were The Department of Health and Human Resources, and The Voice of America.

Gregg knows where he is going and I am glad to see the sign he pointed out, showing me that we were on the right track.

This little bird was pointing the way too.

The police were out and about.

Below in the top photo is the Air and Space Museum and in the one below it shows part of the American Indian Museum, with the dome of the Capitol clearly seen above the tree tops.

A closer view of the American Indian Museum.

One way of getting around any city is using your feet...

but another way is the DC Ducks. If it was this hot next time we were in the city, we thought we might treat ourselves to a ride. With these you can even go into the Potomac River to see the sites from the 'boat'.

This is a statue of Ulysses S. Grant at the memorial of the same name. It isn't too far away from the Capitol Building. You can read about the Memorial here.

One of Gregg's Father's Day treats was to get a hot dog from a street vendor. This is one of the things he enjoys during his lunch hour whenever he has to work in the city. However, he thought it was just too hot to eat outside, and so suggested we eat lunch at the American Indian Museum. I jumped at that as I am not a big hot dog fan. Instead of eating a 'dog' he took a picture of one on the side of the van.

These last two are of the baseball stadium on our way out of the city. We're going to go to a game here one of these days.



Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and Sylvia for hosting My World.

You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.

22 comments:

  1. A nice walk in DC...thanks for the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip to DC! Haven't been there in many years, nice to see it again through your photos! Hope you have a great week, Denise! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love DC I was just there laast month and your awesome street sign picture is right near the law School he graduated from

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful photos! thanks for taking us with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great place to visit, thanks for sharing the pics. I am glad I could have a glimpse of this great place through your shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise: That was an interesting look around DC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a fun day. Believe it or not, I have never been here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post, Denise. It's been such a long time since we've been to D.C. It is such a vibrant place. Our son lived there for a couple of years and they loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise, that link is on my Sycamore Canyon Blog. Here it is:
    http://coronadetucson.blogspot.com/2007/12/i-meant-to-do-my-work-today.html Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice walk through the streets of DC. It's been a while since we have been to DC. It's one of my favorite places to visit. I hope one day we will make it back there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou for taking me on the trip around the city. So much to see and looks fairly traffic free too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a walk! Something I cannot do. I am so out of shape, Denise. I really should walk around the block, at least. What's so hard about that? But, I lack the energy and desire for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This trip made me hungry too! Could I have a hotdog with french fries?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed that stroll through Washington too Denise - glad you both enjoyed the day. A x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed this journey Denise, with great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks so terrific! I live within a three hour drive to D.C., and I can't believe I STILL haven't visited! These pictures make me want to go NOW! Thanks so much for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I took my then 10 year old son on a brief trip to Washington over twenty years ago. I would love to go back and spend more time there. My husband grew up nearby and would be a perfect tour guide for me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't been to Dc in 30 years. Thanks for your post it reminds me I need to get back there. So much to see

    ReplyDelete
  19. All that great stuff, and I'm fixated on the food. Vienna Beef hot dogs, just like the picture, except I'd add sport peppers. Poppy seed bun, mustard and relish are key to a good hot dog. When I go to a good hot dog place (one that serves Vienna Beef), I like to get everything on it except celery salt.

    Oh, and NEVER ketchup. Ketchup is for fries, not hot dogs. Children (foolishly) put ketchup on their hot dogs. Maybe I can petition the Department of Health and Human Services to create some sort of national policy to that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks everyone, I appreciated all your comments very much.

    ReplyDelete