Monday, September 6, 2010

My World Tuesday

I have been meaning to share these photos since we went to this place. At first I thought it was from the spring but I see all the snow on the ground, so it's obviously from last winter. With the summer almost over I decided to post them today.

In our area we are fortunate in that we have a large ethnic diversity. Consequently we have been able to explore other cultures, including their foods. When Gregg works in Washington DC, to escape the freeway traffic he will often find alternative routes, and one day being too hungry to wait to get home, he discovered this wonderful Vietnamese sandwich shop. We've been hooked ever since.

On this occasion we had spent the day in the city looking around the museums and rather than eat dinner in DC as we normally do, Gregg asked me if I would mind waiting as he wanted to introduce me to his favorite, the Banh Mi Sandwich. You can find a recipe for one if you click here.

Being a very visual person as I may have mentioned before, I love the look of Asian food as it is always so beautifully presented.

I enjoyed looking around to see what else we might like to order next time we passed by, but frankly we never get passed that sandwich now. The flavors are so unlike anything I have had before and are truly delicious.

There is no seating inside the shop but we are happy to take our sandwich and a drink to the car, where we settle down to eat one of the most yummy taste sensations of Vietnamese cuisine.

We haven't been into DC for a while.

I think we're due for another trip!



Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Sylvia for hosting My World.

You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.

29 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Ah, the food does look yummy! Isn't it fun to find a new place, a different kind of food? Love your photos -- of course, now I'm starving! Guess I'd better go have some lunch! Have a great week, Denise!

Sylvia

Marie said...

Just lovely when you find a new place with interesting food. Looks soooo yummi.

imac said...

I think its great to try all these different foods.

gigihawaii said...

Yes, I love Vietnamese sandwiches. They have shops here in Hawaii and they also bake their own rolls and bread.

SandyCarlson said...

Looks like a great place for a good, sound sandwich!

Carver said...

The food looks delicious. It is great how diversity in populations brings so much variety in terms of culture and cuisine. Great post.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, You are lucky to live in such a diverse area. We obviously don't have anything like that around here. Not sure I'd like it though... I'm too picky!!!!! ha... Glad you two enjoy it though ---and you do need to go back soon!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Tes said...

Interesting food, lovely place. Enjoy, Denise! :)

Reader Wil said...

The food looks great, but it's too much for one person, I think. It looks very interesting anyway.
Thanks for your visit! Have a wonderful week, Denise!

Al said...

That does look delicious. I also love the way Asian food is presented.

EG Wow said...

I'll have to check out those sandwiches on the link you provided!

Abraham Lincoln said...

Some of the best is the newest you have yet to taste. I am glad you guys liked the sandwiches. The picture showed up nice and it looks good to me too.

Jean said...

There is a great little Vietnamese Restaurant that my daughter took me to in Atlanta. I miss check and see if they have this sandwich.

Jama said...

I love the Vietnamese Spring Roll, dipped in the chilli sauce, so delish! I made my own since the spring roll skin is easily available here. What I love about my cosmopolitan city is I can find food from all over the world right here. Lots of eateries available.

Larry D said...

Oh I would be trying all these as well, they look great.

MarieElizabeth said...

Good find! Vietnamese salad rolls are my favorite! Even my meat-and-potatoes co-workers have been transformed by some Vietnamese food.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That looks like a great place. We have some decent Vietnamese places around here but I've never heard of those sandwiches.

Rajesh said...

Looks like you had a great time in the place.

ladyfi said...

What an amazing presentation of sandwiches!

Callie said...

The sandwiches do look very good. I love ethnic foods. The different flavors are such a treat.

Kay L. Davies said...

Delicious photos! You're right about Asian food presentation, it is an art.
Kay
Alberta, Canada

jabblog said...

The food is beautifully presented isn't it? A feast for the eyes before the palate is treated to the taste.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that looks so different.

Congrats you won one of the recipe books on my blog, please check your email.

Gill in Canada

Cezar and Léia said...

It's a good hint Denise, the food looks delicious, glad that you enjoyed!
Hugs
Léia

Shey said...

Great post! I love Vietnamese food too. I'm lucky that we also have the same diversity here in California or I will miss Asian food. :)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Denise: Very neat post of the sandwich shop.

Catherine said...

looks a great place for a fine snack...

Kay said...

I do love those spring rolls. It must be the fresh mint or basil in them that give such a wonderful flavor.

Margaret Cloud said...

It is nice to discover other places to eat and more fortunate when that place has good tasting food.