Monday, June 28, 2010

Morning has broken.....along with my Monday Morning Ramble, with a trip down Memory Lane.



Having just celebrated my son and daughter-in-law's first wedding anniversary, my mind went back to when I met Gregg 34 years ago. On our second or third date, he asked me if I had ever heard of Cat Stevens. At that time I had not, but even to this day I am not one to keep up with who is popular in the music world. I liked the movies more, though that's not to say I don't enjoy listening to music, I do.

On our next date Gregg presented me with the first gift any boy had ever given me, a Cat Stevens album and this song was included. It has always been one of my favorite hymns since childhood and I had never heard it sung by a contemporary artist before. I thought it was absolutely lovely but what touched me the most was that even though Gregg and I hadn't known each other for very long, he was kind enough to buy me such a thoughtful gift. When I told my Dad, not knowing Gregg, I think he rolled his eyes. I must have been a veritable chatterbox about this young man I had just met, and my Mum and Dad could see that somehow this was different. As they told me after we had been married for a while, they knew Gregg was special.

Another thing my Mum told me about, was meeting the Mayor's Secretary several months after I had moved to the States. This was the man whom my friend Mary had worked for, and who had arranged all the official mayoral cocktail parties to welcome naval ships into port. If you haven't read it already, you can click here and here of how Gregg and I met. When Mum and Dad bumped into this man at one of the local pubs months later, the first words out of his mouth to my Mum were, "You hate me don't you?" He had a twinkle in his eye and I don't think my Mum knew what to say, but when she told me on the phone after it happened, I just knew she was rolling her eyes.