Friday, August 27, 2010

Camera Critters

Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle
Part 2

This is the second and last part of our trip to the zoo. You can see Part 1 here. I found this cute video on the zoo's website, and I thought I would start off with it as I took a lot of shots at the Meerkat exhibit. I think any small children will really enjoy this one.

You can enlarge all the photos to get a better view. I have provided what information I can, be it from the photographs I took of the signs or from the actual website of the zoo.


I fell in love with the little guys, a familiar comment of mine I know.








If you want to know more about them you can click here.


This rather shy little fellow is a North American Porcupine, and you can read all about him here.

This is a Matschie's Tree Kangaroo. His information is here.


We went into an area where we could visit with these cute little birds. The ones below are Cockatiels. I couldn't find a page for them but the sign read, "In the wild Cockatiels live in pairs or small flocks that search for seeds or berries. It makes its nest in the hollow of a tree, stump or fence post. Cockatiels have been domesticated for more than 100 years."






This bright little bird is the Eastern Rosella Parrot. The sign read: "This brightly colored parrot is well known in the farmlands, suburban gardens eucalyptus woodlands of southeast Australia. Typically living in small groups, Rosella's eat fruit, seeds, berries and flower nectar. They nest in tree cavities and communicate with a wide variety of screeches, chatters and loud metallic calls."

This delight is a Laughing Kookaburra. You can find out about him right here.

In another part of the aviary was this lovely bird, but I slipped up and didn't take a picture of the sign to remember him, and I couldn't find a web page on the zoo's site.

Below is "the national bird of Nepal. a pheasant that lives at elevations as high as 15,000 feet (4,573 m). In winter Himalayan Monal's descend to lower elevations where food is more abundant. When alarmed both male and female deliver a shrill, prolonged whistle that ends in a single, high-pitched note. The male is more brightly colored than the female, who must be camouflaged while incubating eggs and feeding her young. The long, curved bill of both sexes is used to dig for grubs, roots and worms."


This is a Common Wallaroo
"There are more than 60 kinds of Kangaroos in Australia and New Guinea, from the one-pound Rat Kangaroo (which lives in rain forests), to the 200 lb. Red Kangaroo (that lives in deserts). Between these extremes are Wallaroos and Wallabies, medium-sized Kangaroos that live in grasslands and woodlands. All Kangaroos eat grasses and other plants, and all have pouches to protect their young. Many species can move quickly when necessary - the Common Wallaroo can cover 20 feet in one hop."



There was so much more to see but unfortunately we both ran out of time and more importantly energy. All those lovely animals that we missed will have to wait for our next visit to Seattle. I hope it won't be too long before we make that trip again, because the northwest is an area that we have both taken to very much.


Camera Critters is a wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn. Thank you Misty!

27 comments:

KaHolly said...

Denise, I can see you had a wonderful time at the zoo! Your pictures are awesome. I have to agree with you about the Meercats -they are something else. Their mannerisms remind me of the otter that pass by me when I'm out in my kayak in the very early mornings. By the way, I love your header!! ~karen

Margaret Cloud said...

I sure did like the video. I watch these little guys every time they are on a special. I also like your header. Thank you for coming by. Have a nice weekend.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

All of your photographs are wonderful. I was especially fond of the close-up picture of the cockatiel. I forwarded the video onto my nephew's wife so she can share it with my great niece and great nephew.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wow, what a variety. I love meerkats. They just look so intelligent yet trusting.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Awesome pictures Denise !
That must be quite a large zoo to have such a variety of animals.
We have Meercats at the Nashville zoo, they are the busiest of little animals, never relaxing.

mommanator said...

OOOO/AHHHH

A New Beginning said...

Thanks for sharing the pics of such cute animals and birds..the kukubara reminds me of the song we learnt in school..."laugh..kuckubara laugh kockubara ...gay your life must be :)"
Loved your blog :)

http://aspaceofonesown.blogspot.com

jabblog said...

Meercats - I could watch them forever.
I didn't know there were so many different kangaroos and I'd never heard of wallaroos before. Fabulous photos, Denise :-)

Roy said...

Those Meerkats are such characters Denise.

Lucy said...

Meercats! How can you not love them. Those faces pull at my heart strings!

We love Luna said...

Dear Denise!
These friends are so adorable, I'm enchanted by this post!
Purrs and love
Luna

imac said...

Great pics, and luv the "Simples"

Cloudia said...

They have so much to teach us...

great shots (as usual with you :)

I have some animals waiting today at my place...just saying



Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

Patty said...

Nice bunch of photos. Looks like you had an enjoyable time.

Nikki-ann said...

Awww, photos photos are so sweet! It looks like you had a great time :)

Noner said...

Thanks for sharing all the cute animals. I like the porcupine.

Random Animals

Poetic Shutterbug said...

I really enjoy your trips to the zoo. Those birds are beautiful and the porcupine adorable. Just fantastic shots.

Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I loved these photos Denise and it looks like you had fun at the pottery painting class as well:)

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Beautiful, Denise... I love going to the zoo --but haven't been in years (since my grands were little)... You showed some great 'critters' today... Those Meerkats are so cute... And I had no idea there were more than 60 kinds of Kangaroos in Australia... I just thought a Kangaroo was a Kangaroo. See what I learn from blogging.

Thanks for sharing.
Have a great Sunday.
Hugs,
Betsy

Denise said...

Camera Critters is a fun day for me. Thanks for coming by and leaving all your lovely comments. Have a great week ahead.

Adrienne in Ohio said...

The meerkats are very photogenic, it almost seems they were posing for you. :)

Kay said...

Absolutely, totally excellent, Denise. I love those meerkats. Such elegant, adorable animals.

cat said...

I absolutley love the cute little meercats. The rest of the critters are adorable too.
When I was a kid I used to have cockatiels. They are precious little birds.

Michael said...

You can't lose with Meercats. They are great. Super bunch of critters.

Rambling Woods said...

You got some lovely photos and I liked the video..I love the meerkats but was always so sad when they lost their lives on the Animal Planet program..I wanted them to step in and be saved....Michelle

Misty Dawn said...

These images are outstanding! I keep asking Hubs to take me to the zoo, but he says "Once you've seen one zoo, you've seen them all" What a bummer! LOL

Meercats are so full of personality! I love the Wallaby too!

Thank you for your wonderful comment on my CC. I have a lot of fun putting 'voices' to the animals I see.

Manz said...

so many glorious photos... it's indulgence for the eyes. Great post. You must have spent quite a bit of time on this 'labour of love' :)