Thursday, July 8, 2010

SKYWATCH FRIDAY, SEASON 4, EPISODE 52

Thank you for all your birthday wishes yesterday and for leaving such sweet comments. I will be visiting to thank you personally in the next few days.
When we went to see my in-law's last weekend, the skies were worthy of remembering.


Because we knew the road would be overflowing with Fourth of July traffic, we took a quieter route and avoided the freeway.

We went through Wakefield and stopped for lunch at The Virginia Diner. The diner is famous for its peanuts. I should have mentioned that we had already passed fields and fields of them. I mistakingly picked up some uncooked ones from their gift shop, to take with me to give to our family, but the lady asked me if that was what I had intended, to buy the raw peanuts. I am glad she checked as I wanted the regular roasted kind. The lady behind the counter gave me some information on the growing of peanuts, which included recipes for cooking them, just in case I wanted to try the raw ones the next time we drove through here.

Did you know that peanuts were known as early as 950 BC? It is believed they originated in Brazil or Peru, and were carried to Africa by early explorers and missionaries. From there traders took them to Spain and to the New World. Colonial traders used them for food aboard ship, as they were cheap and a high source of food value. The first crop in Virginia was grown in Sussex County (what is now Waverly) in the early mid 1840's. Below is a diagram of how they grow.


I liked the reflection of the church across the street. It is beautiful but I didn't have any success finding its name online. Next time we drive through here I am going to ask Gregg to drive into the parking lot for a look at the sign. The road here is really wide and even though quieter than our normal route, still too busy to cross over and there was no cross-walk. We were also eager to continue our journey.

Last shot is of the water tower found while driving through Isle of Wight County. As you might guess, there were early settlers from the Isle of Wight in Great Britain.


Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Sylvia for hosting SkyWatch Friday.

If you want to join in you can click right here.

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous skies and what a fun trip! Love your photos, thanks for taking us along! Interesting about the water tower! Love it! Have a great weekend, Denise!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty little church. I know how you feel when you want to get more information, but have to keep moving. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Birthday, Denise! I hope you had a great day! I love you skywatch photos, the clouds are so beautiful. Where is the diner located. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sky photo's and the story of the water tower,but what interested me most was the peanuts.!
    I hate to admit that I never knew peanuts grew under the ground.!!
    I thought they were picked rather than dug up.Am i the only person on the planet this dumb.!! Thank you for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your pictures, especially the church, so pretty. I didnt know that about peanuts either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a pretty ride to your in-laws. Interesting to learn about peanuts - I suppose I always knew they grew underground though it seemed so unlikely with those neat shells but seeing the diagram convinced me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures! The reflection of the little church is very good! I didn't know that peanuts were already eaten that long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the photos...I love to drive down the road with a sky like that one to look at....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great trip. I loved the big old fluffy clouds.
    The Virginia Diner sounds nice also. We grow lots of peanuts in south central Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete