Monday, May 31, 2010

My World Tuesday Season # 2 Episode # 34

I hope all of you had a great Memorial Day weekend, a time to spend with our families and friends but most importantly to remember our Veterans past and present. Thank you to all men and women who have served and are serving in the Military, and we need to remember wives and mothers who were left at home while their loved ones served their country. Craverii, thanks for this reminder.

For those who paid the ultimate sacrifice there are not enough words to express my appreciation for what they did for us, my heart is full at the thought of so many who have been lost. To the families who will no longer see them walk through the door, again there are no words but they will always be remembered. I pray the time will come when there will be no more wars on this planet, no more lives lost. For the sake of our children and our children's children, I will always live in hope.

Yesterday on our trip to the Shenandoah's the weather was glorious, a great day for motorcycle riders to dust off their wheels and take to the road. We passed many we presumed were heading into Washington DC for the Rolling Thunder gathering. We missed shots of the larger groups but I did take a few photos of riders along the way. Gregg took a photo of these motorbikes above which were parked at our local post office, our first stop before we headed to the mountains.

This is the day when motorcycle riders from all over the country ride through the city. They made an impressive sight whether on their own or in the smaller groups that we saw, and I hope one day we can get into DC to see the actual event. I read that in 1988 there were approximately 2,500 motorcycles participating, this year they were expecting 250,000. If you would like to learn more on how this all started, you can click here and there is a news article on line which you can read here.


We found these young people at a gas station. Not sure if they were part of Rolling Thunder, but I think I read that you don't have to be a Veteran to take part.


This man and his son were riding a new British Triumph motorcycle.

Years ago our son spent three weeks in hospital. It was a stressful time for us as you can imagine but one day a group of these riders made the rounds of the children's ward. They were dressed the part and it was an exciting event for our sick boy and the other children. They came laden with toys and books for each patient, gave everyone a baseball cap and generally cheered everyone by their appearance. Consequently I have always had a soft spot for this special group and I will always be grateful for their kindness.


A great day for a ride. Safe traveling to all.


Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and Sylvia for hosting My World.

You can see other My World photos or join in yourself by clicking here.

21 comments:

  1. Fabulous shots on the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise: Beautiful post and great to honor the veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post for the day, Denise! Interesting to see all the bikers! Love your photos as always! Hope you have a good week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, great post on the veterans and the heroes of our country. I like the biker photos. We went to Shenandoah on Saturday and had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the pics and info on Rolling Thunder but I really am delighted with the top photo of our beloved blue ridge mountains to the west of you and I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. I had forgot about the bike rides.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the Harley's I find that make the most noise. We live on a "scenic route" for motor bikes, so see and hear them quite often.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice shots Denise, smart bikes too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great entry! I used to really like motorcycles, but now I just see them as noise pollution. (Don't tell anyone I said that!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post Denise. Memorial Day weekend is the time for road trips; however I just stayed home this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great collection of bikes, let alone the riders.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I see motorcycles, I think of my friend who died on one, despite wearing a helmet. That was a sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post and photos. those are beautiful bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denise, it's a lovely homage , beautiful words dear friend.
    Ahhh what a nice day there, wonderful set of picture, cool motorcycles!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely tribute to the fallen. It looks great weather for a motor bike ride. We have a similar thing here where riders ride from the coast to Brisbane but it is a charity ride for sick children. I don't think there are anywhere near 250,000.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh Denise..very nice shots...i like more the last..simply beautiful!

    http://graceolsson.com/blog/2010/06/alexander-the-boy/

    ReplyDelete
  17. great time for cycling and the rain held out or it only lasted a bit.
    When driving up north we saw 3 crotch rockets go past us at about 140 mph SCARY

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very fitting tribute to the heroes and war veterans Denise.

    I love the photos of the bikers, they certainly always seem such a friendly crowd. A x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me again Denise - just to say thank you for linking my posts whilst I have been away. A x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wise words and a terrific tribute Denise- amazing the difference from 1988! How interesting too. I can see just how sunny it was for this event- beautiful.. captures are neat! Well I hope you have a nice little break! My best, Regina-

    ReplyDelete