Friday, April 2, 2010

Camera-Critters #104

Congratulations to Misty Dawn and Camera Critters who are celebrating their second anniversary.

When we were walking back to our car in Washington DC a couple of weekends ago, we came across a pair of Canada Geese.

At this time of the year we see a lot of nesting going on, but we didn't expect to find one on a man-made ornamental pond in the middle of the city.

There were also a couple of ducks swimming around.

As I was taking this one's photo he made me a little nervous because he lasered in on me.....just kept on coming. I moved before he got to where I was. Not that I am nervous around them usually but he looked intense and had a glint in his eye. I didn't know they could swim that fast. He probably thought I had some bread in my pocket and as I still having this memory of a goose chasing after me as a six year old, while running screaming with a sandwich still in hand which he obviously wanted a piece of, I am a little more wary as an adult. The pain of being nipped on the legs by a hungry goose comes to mind whenever I am around webbed feet. Love them dearly but...... I have mentioned this childhood incident in a previous post but I guess these things stick with you.


This brings back another memory, when on vacation a few years back and I got out of the car to take photos of several chickens pecking on the side of an out-of-the-way kind of road. Before I knew it they had all lined up like the Magnificent 7 and were running at me helter-skelter. Probably mentioned this before too but what the heck. You have never seen me move so fast, I jumped back in the car just about as fast as I ran from the angry goose from way back when, and I am not that limber now but I certainly can be when the adrenalin kicks in.

Just as I had this vision of the one here flying at me with an open, snapping beak, the little darling veered away. No, I didn't have to run off screaming this time but then I didn't have any bread in my pocket either. Per-shah, yes I am joking, I didn't think for a minute I would have a problem with my little friend here. Besides, I'm further away than it looks. Isn't he lovely?

I liked the reflection of the building in this one.


Camera Critters is a wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn.

You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

22 comments:

gigihawaii said...

I know what you mean. If I had memories of a goose nipping at my legs, I'd run fast, too. LOL.

Kathiesbirds said...

Denise, what a story! Love that last shot especially!

Anything Fits a Naked Man said...

I can't believe that next out in the open like that!! Amazing! Great story, and I'm with Kathiesbirds, I LOVE that last shot! Nice job! thanks!

Kathy said...

Fun stories! Great pictures!

Callie said...

Wonderful photos! Hope they will be safe.

diane said...

Great shots. That does look strange a great big nest on a city pond. Geese are the worst for attacking.The duck and his reflection are beaut.

siromade08 said...

Very nice story and great shot of the ducks.

Coffeeveggie addict. said...

oh,they are all lovely and the reflection of the water is awesome..when i was a kid we used to have about a 500 ducks for bussiness and i always love to push them in the water by saying,"CHOU,CHOU.CHOU' before i enter my high school my dad sell it and stop our egg bussiness.

A Garden of Threads said...

Lovely shots, the reflections in the water are great. Imagine a nest in the middle of the man made pond. Thanks for sharing.

Carletta said...

It's hard looking through the camera and really knowing what is taking place. I get skittish around anything moving toward me. :)
How cool the geese just set up house in the city.
The reflections of your mallards are terrific and the wavy building.
Hope you and yours have a wonderful Easter Denise!

Hootin' Anni said...

One word for all your wonderful photos...well, two....simply stunning!!!

My C C is Easter Rabbits. Hope you have a glorious holiday weekend.

Adrienne in Ohio said...

Love the tight shot of the goose on her nest!

Snap said...

Love this whole series and your stories. The nest is something else! Happy Critter Day!

happily retired gal said...

Entertaining post with wonderful photos ... brings back my own mem'ries of prior experiences with geese.
Hugs and blessings,

Rajesh said...

Spectacular shots of Canada geese and ducks.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Happy Easter (I haven't posted something special for this day yet)..
Oh Denise, these are gorgeous of them in the water! That nest is funny. We had geese..a pair in fact. The mother died (lost the eggs)she was sitting on due to lightening. I picked up some baby ducks later and the male goose ran around with them like he was mom!! I also have a picture in my mind of my dad (in his eighties) chasing a neighbors goose down the driveway with a broom!! They are a kick..but wow are they loud!! Fabulous photos. Have a blessed weekend-

Michael said...

Super pics of both the nesting goose and the ducks. I shouldn't worry too much about the ducks pecking you. Their bills are quite blunt.I've been pecked several times on the shins while I was protecting a stunned woodpecker (no really) and it just feels like being poked by a blunt bit of soap. :)

eden said...

These are all beautiful images. Love all of them. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Great shots as always, Denise.

My entry

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

What an odd place for a nest! All of your photographs are great, but that last photograph takes the prize.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Great camera critters, Denise... I too like that last picture with the reflections... Great!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Denise: Those geese will nest anywhere, love your Mallard reflection.

eileeninmd said...

Great photos, Denise! And I loved the stories!